650 Outlander overheating

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Hey all,
My 08 Outlander 650 has been overheating a lot lately, so much that during the last rally, she went into limp mode several times. Everyone said do the rad-relocate, so that's what I did last weekend (thanks for the help wild_1:d). I've taken it out for a few short rips since then (just little tours around the area, mix of roadway and ditches) and so far no overheating, but both times the fan kicked on after about 10-15mins. It only stays on for about 60-90 secs before kicking out again. Is that OK? I heard that once you re-locate the rad, you should hardly ever hear the fan come on. Any thoughts?

Whitey Jr

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man these things overheat more than any rhino or grizzly ever did, last ride we had one do the same thing. may need to carry a small sprayer to keep rad clean.

Jcoleman39

Reaction score
Put an override switch on the fan so you can force it to run longer.
My fan runs a lot longer then 60-90 secs, but I put an override switch on anyway. Cheap/easy mod.
When the rad is relocated, it is not shaded, and the hoses can get pretty hot in the sun.
Since relocating my rad, there is no mud to worry about. Give it a good cleaning, and youll be alright.

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I totally cleaned the rad out during the relocation process. Clean as a whistle now (although a few bent fins). I'll start looking into that fan override mod. As long as she stops overheating, I'll be happy. Nothing kills a day out on the trails for me more than that stupid little red blinky light.

Whitey Jr

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
07 and 08's had an issue with the tubes swelling in the rad maybe check that out to changed a lot of rads because of this.

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
07 and 08's had an issue with the tubes swelling in the rad maybe check that out to changed a lot of rads because of this.

I inspected the rad pretty closely when I cleaned it out. I didn't notice any swollen tubes, but I've never really seen what they look like. All the vents/fins/tubes looked pretty clean and uniform to me (other than a handful of bent fins). There hasn't been any overheating since the relocation, I was just concerned that the fan was coming on too early/often. I really need to go out for more than 30 mins to really put it to the test. hopefully this weekend I can get out for a few hours....even if it's just to Bruderheim.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i said before , with it in the stock location and no mud, it's flat to the air like a vehicle

With it relocated it's tipped back and air is not really forced through like stock spot

Fan will cycle, but if it's not on for long then it's good

Also if u shut it off, turn the key on till the fan shuts off, then go to go say 5 min later , and when u turn the key back on and the fan comes on is because the coolant go hot from sitting not being cycled in system

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fins were good. We had a 11 renegade with a rad that swelled up by the 10 hour mark that got repaired under warranty

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna read that post, and more importantly go put my machine through it's paces. Thanks again!!!

Whitey Jr

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first time the mrs 650 overheated the rad swelld up//gibbons change it and no problemo since,,just got keeper clean

Top Bottom