$4500 to spend.....summit 800 or m8

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The M8 may be "safer", but the rev is going to be alot more fun.......even if there is a little risk. The best analogy I can think of is picture each sled is a woman. The rev is smokin hot, but maybe not quite as "safe". Gonna be guys tryin there best to steal her away from you, higher risk of things going south, and may be a little higher maintenance.........but a heck of alot more fun. The M8 is like a 5th round last call pick. Its safe, probably have a bit of fun, shouldnt have too many problems, but in the end you are gonna know that you settled for the "safe" pick.

:d

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a die hard Polaris guy but last year I hardly seen any revs in the mountains. I sure did see a lot of Ms tho. I would go with the M and they still run with new iron.

Sent from my iPhone using

css

Reaction score
Go with the M for sure. They are just a great mountain sled period.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 rev and 12 etec XP. Kept the 06 cause I figured it wasn"t worth the hassle of selling and it had been a bullet proof sled. Still take it out now and then and really enjoy riding it. . Ya can't go wrong with the rev.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get ahold of Plio7 he's got a couple M's for sale.

I am looking for good honest opinions please. I have 4500 bucks max, and am looking for a new to me sled. That puts me looking at roughly 2007 models. My interest is basically narrowed down between the summit 800 and m8. I do want a 144-151" track.
So from those that have experience with either of these machines in that year, which is the one you would suggest and why?
Thanks

summitguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I enjoy my 2007 rev fix the motor problem and its a rock solid sled and a blast to ride and there are lots of mods you can do to a rev

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I miss my 07 rev :'(

The cats front shocks don't have the travel , and with out a bunch of updates Like moveable riser, newer track ect ,

The rev will take it everytime

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I miss my 07 rev :'(

The cats front shocks don't have the travel , and with out a bunch of updates Like moveable riser, newer track ect ,

The rev will take it everytime

LOL ummmm.... 2007 Cat 800 had 9" of travel, Doo 800 Summit had 9". Check the specs. Just because the shocks were physically longer doesn't mean they moved more. Easily able to retrofit better shocks onto the Cat for less money. Doo does not have an adjustable riser either, but you can buy one for the Cat and install it. parts are far more available for the Cat vs the Doo as Cat made the M for a lot of years, compared to the Doo which changes styles every 2-3 yrs.

You couldn't get me to buy a Doo in those model years.

Reeb
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM​

Doo cranks are NOT known to last much past that under hard mtn riding.
2400km to 3000km is all we get around here. Any more than that and your counting your lucky stars. Reason most Revs and XP's are for sale with either new motors or with around 1500miles on them. Don't kid yourself, Doo(as with Poo and Cat) build sleds and components with expiry dates.....believe me.....I've done better than 50 swaps in 5 years as a Service Manager at a Doo shop.

Luvnmt
03-31-2011, 12:04 PM​

A very familiar story I just bought a 2007 Rev 800 that had 800 miles on a factory warranty replacement motor. I got less than 200 miles out of it, the piston came apart and came out the case. I know several Rev owners with the same issue at low miles. My dealer was kind enough to put in a reman for $2200.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL ummmm.... 2007 Cat 800 had 9" of travel, Doo 800 Summit had 9". Check the specs. Just because the shocks were physically longer doesn't mean they moved more. Easily able to retrofit better shocks onto the Cat for less money. Doo does not have an adjustable riser either, but you can buy one for the Cat and install it. parts are far more available for the Cat vs the Doo as Cat made the M for a lot of years, compared to the Doo which changes styles every 2-3 yrs.

You couldn't get me to buy a Doo in those model years.

Reeb
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM​

Doo cranks are NOT known to last much past that under hard mtn riding.
2400km to 3000km is all we get around here. Any more than that and your counting your lucky stars. Reason most Revs and XP's are for sale with either new motors or with around 1500miles on them. Don't kid yourself, Doo(as with Poo and Cat) build sleds and components with expiry dates.....believe me.....I've done better than 50 swaps in 5 years as a Service Manager at a Doo shop.

Luvnmt
03-31-2011, 12:04 PM​

A very familiar story I just bought a 2007 Rev 800 that had 800 miles on a factory warranty replacement motor. I got less than 200 miles out of it, the piston came apart and came out the case. I know several Rev owners with the same issue at low miles. My dealer was kind enough to put in a reman for $2200.

Ummm. Unless u added the extras like I said modman ( I.e adjustalbe riser ect )

Also if the cat has the same amount of travel it sucks and bottoms out easy.

Road one with floats , and one with springs ( both m8)

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8 forsure. Dont have to worry about crankshafts, and they were for the most part a trouble free sled. My little brother had a m7 that had over 8000kms when he sold it and my previous M8 had 7000-8000 kms of mountain riding under it with nothing but preventative maintenance, and a primary clutch.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a Cat all my life, I changed this season for a change and for the money I couldn't pass it up, I will however be snow checking a YamaCat for next season BUT wont sell this Summit as I have fallen in love with it!!!!! So im basically a YamaCatDoo guy I spose :/

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the m8. As stated they are perfect and none have ever had to be on the end of a rope. DD was the greatest. Can't believe they dropped it. And love their clutches. This one almost got 1000 miles! Can't beat that!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 155

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8, you wont go wrong. Far better mountian sled then any Rev. Plus you wont have to screw around with clutching, gearing and jetting as you do on Rev's.
Cat had their crap together compared to Doo when it comes to mountian sled specific's.
Plus, you most likely won't have to rebuild the motor as Cat 800 motor are much more reliable and durable in comparison......all in all the M8 add to more money in your pocket to play with and less down time.
BUT, there is an exception.....if your a trail rider the Doo is a better option, it is at home on trails, rides well and handles well for trails.

BTW, my better half rides an M8, came off a Rev. and basicaly said it is the best thing she has done to help her mountian riding....the M8 is just natural in the mountian's. Unlike the Rev. Food for thought.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the m8. As stated they are perfect and none have ever had to be on the end of a rope. DD was the greatest. Can't believe they dropped it. And love their clutches. This one almost got 1000 miles! Can't beat that!

HAHAHA....that what happens when you don't tighten bolts to spec. and use Loc-Tite. Hard to blame a manufacture for a dumbass repair job someone did at one time.
Had the same happen on a Doo Rev 600 Summit. A guy i was riding with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom