3" track and 7 tooth Avid 2 piece driver install question.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK...so I have my own theory on this, but I want some other opinions/explanations. ***These are the older style avid 2 piece drivers...NOT the new ones for a center ported track****

1. When setting the drivers - do you guys set the extrovert knobs so that they are to the outside of the windows, inside of the windows or centered in the windows?
  2. How much are guys trimming off their rails?

Thanks for all replies!!

css

Reaction score
Here ya go. :)
era4e9uz.jpg

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am fully aware as to which way they go on, but I'm just looking for opinions on how others space them:) Are people making it so the extrovert knobs sit centered in the windows or to the inside or outside of the windows to allow for minimal track wander?

css

Reaction score
Wooops sorry bout that I missread your post. I have always centered them on other sleds I changed drivers on.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my skidoos we always keep them just a hair inside the exterior window edge. That way your track is always aligned, not rubbing or wandering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin if its on pro you have to be to the inside or outside of the window... just not enough room in the tunnel so you dont want it to float. I put them to the inside.

Last edited:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin if its on pro you have to be to the inside or outside of the window... just not enough room in the tunnel so you want it to float. I put them to the inside.

I did the math on everything and to the inside is where they went...with about an 1/8" wiggle room. This made sense to where the stockers were located on the introverts. I put a 2012 shaft on...so when I originally asked, I hadn't yet pulled the stock track shaft...after I did, it all made sense!! Thanks all, for your help!! It's a little tight with the 3" when you're installing by yoursel, but I McGyver'd up a system that worked flawless!!

css

Reaction score
Wow sure glad I found this out before I put mine in the center. Will be putting my track on this week. Thanks Chris :)

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow sure glad I found this out before I put mine in the center. Will be putting my track on this week. Thanks Chris :)

The alignment centers on the introverts are narrower than the stockers, so when coupled with a fairly wide extrovert tooth that isn't proportional to the location of the introverts makes driver placement crucial. I have rode a couple polaris sleds with 7 tooth Avids and a 3" camo X3's, and some have been much louder/vibrate more than others. After installing mine today, I would reflect this upon the driver placement!!

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alignment centers on the introverts are narrower than the stockers, so when coupled with a fairly wide extrovert tooth that isn't proportional to the location of the introverts makes driver placement crucial. I have rode a couple polaris sleds with 7 tooth Avids and a 3" camo X3's, and some have been much louder/vibrate more than others. After installing mine today, I would reflect this upon the driver placement!!

I had the same thought and have tried the placement at both the inner and outer sides of the window and found little difference in the vibration. IMO the vibration comes from a smaller diameter driver and a track with a higher rotational mass, as well as the track contacting the front of the sliders. That said I'm sure you've figured out that trimming the rails are necessary and if you add an anti stab kit I would recommend placing it lower than the stock cross bar location so the track is held off the front of the sliders. Also I found my skid was twisting under load causing the track to rub on the rear skid mount until I added a second limiter strap to balance things out.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same thought and have tried the placement at both the inner and outer sides of the window and found little difference in the vibration. IMO the vibration comes from a smaller diameter driver and a track with a higher rotational mass, as well as the track contacting the front of the sliders. That said I'm sure you've figured out that trimming the rails are necessary and if you add an anti stab kit I would recommend placing it lower than the stock cross bar location so the track is held off the front of the sliders. Also I found my skid was twisting under load causing the track to rub on the rear skid mount until I added a second limiter strap to balance things out.

Thanks for the advice! All of this was planned...How much are guys trimming their rails? Also, adding the anti-stab looks like it will come into conflict with the limit strap crossbar...what is everyone doing in this situation.

Like I said in my last post...I have ridden a couple different PRO's with 7 tooth Avid drivers, same anti-stap in the same placement, both with double limiters, both with X3 tracks, but one vibrated much more than the other. I attribute the difference in vibration on those 2 sleds to driver placement. I understand that the 7 tooth will give more vibration to begin with. The vibrations aren't near as bad now with the X3's being drum moulded vs the older CE's that were platten moulded.

Sammy

Reaction score
Correct, trimmed the rails just in front of the shaft mounting hole by a quarter inch and run the limiter from this.

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most remove the limit strap cross bar and put the anti stab kit in its place. As you can see in the picture above the the anti stab wheels aren't touching the track and the first point of contact is the front of the sliders. This will cause some vibration. If you are worried about it you can slot the holes for anti stab kit and move them down or you can remove about 2" off the front of the sliders and this will allow the track to run on the wheels. If you go with option b you will have to move the screws on the front of the sliders as well.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! That was what my gut was telling me to do, but I don't like effing things up and I'm an over-thinker:D The help is greatly appreciated!!

Top Bottom