2017 / 2018 Valemount Conditions and Updates

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a amazing day in allen creek today, didnt hit anything, made it as far as hillclimb.
Unreal conditions for this time of the year, it Snowed hard up there all day and it was quite windy. Your sled is still visible Sean, snow line is up to the a-arms.
A guy in our group triggered a small slide today coming down a hill, no burial.
Hopefully it snows More in the valley, The trail going up was amazing, going back down was not to bad, but with more traffic that may be a issue.

Last edited:

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chappel Creek Saturday Nov 18. Blower Powder all day with Mikey many #'s and Micheal from Wild Rose . Laughs and sticks all day never made it 2km from gas drop lol
Snowed all day leaving another 5 inches on the truck when we got down last night ,
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171119/88f2e1b20fddd8ee9a5aa1be7c070120.jpg

We were in Chappel on Saturday as well stopped on our way down to Blue River. Left Edmonton just past 2am and were in the Chappel parking lot before 7am local time. Insane day of riding and could definitely see the struggles from the group who broke in the day before. Didn't realize there were so many other who also rode there with us until we got down to the truck and saw that there were about 8 other trucks. Made our way down to Lower Tiffany and played around there for most of our day, maybe that's why we never saw anyone since everyone got trigger happy in the Chappel meadows!

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alpine snow conditions have given some of the best early season riding we have seen in years. Snow levels up to and exceeding 200cms have been measured in the Allen and Chappell areas.

Allan Creek access is via the “old trail” (take the left at 3km) and is in quite good shape up to today with little to no icing. It is bumpy but that comes with early season. We have set tracks on the new trail just to pack in the new snow before the predicted warm temperatures. We are asking for everyone’s continued respect of this temporary blockage until we can set tracks with the groomers.

Chappell Creek has great early season access as well directly from the staging area. This area is surrounded by Caribou closures and they are in place at all times so please understand the areas boundaries.

Clemina is also being accessed via the main staging area although alpine snow levels are uncertain. If anyone has any info on the Clemina conditions, please chime in. This area usually takes a little longer to have a snowpack that allows for ground hazard avoidance. There has been some plowing done to the road previously and we are not sure if this will continue or not. If the road looks recently plowed, riders must use the paralleling trail to 4km.

Keep your wits about you and check www.avalanche.ca before your ride. If you do venture out, please report any of your findings to the Mountain Information Network through Avalanche Canada. This can be as simple as uploading a few pictures to the app.

RMKward

Reaction score
I am looking to go ride this weekend leaving Saturday morning from Edmonton ride the day and ride half day Sunday I have a enclosed trailer and I have a room book at best Western for Saturday night, I am looking for someone to go ride with.

Artsfoh

Reaction score
8554EDA6-EE52-49BB-B6B2-AEEB4741F785.jpg Climina trail Sunday there was at least 4ft every where we went but no base underneath

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great day in Allen today. Rode untouched all day. Came across some tracks but seemed like there hasn’t been much traffic up there yet. Trail is decent but a little whooped out, early season. Well worth the bumpy ride to get to the snow.

Be careful up there. Seen about 5 slides. Avalanche alley has slid. HUGE!

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any pics of the run out?

The runout filled the creek. Biggest I have seen it go in a while. Good news is the main hazard is now gone. I was very unsettled about heading through there knowhing what I do about the layer it slid on. The avalanche happened naturally sometime very early Monday morning (like dark). About 1m deep and over 800m wide. On monday we witnessed numerous rider remote triggered slides up to sz2.5 on the Nov 11 interface, and a few natural windslabs. All noted events were primarily on convex lee features. With the new snow falling and forecasted warm temps this week, it could get interesting. Best bet is to keep it very simple for a while.

Ride safe

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary ****, could have been an ugly start to the season if that happened this weekend.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brushed the snow off Maxwell's sled and also witnessed the aftermath of Avy Alley. Thankfully nobody seen that come down! Looked to be fully broken to top of ridge and ran from end to end except the far bowl. We stayed out. I've seen that bowl all down before and it was not part of the rest of the slide.
Play Safe

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode chappel yesterday.amazing snow.access was pretty good .couple small creeks to cross and a bit whooped out but not bad at all.probed 190 cm and 200 cm.played in the meadows,upper tiffany lake and the lower bowl area by the meadows.unfortunetly on the drive home last night the roads were absolutley brutal and 2 semi hit head on with fatality.we were stuck just outside the border for 14 hrs.was a long night.roads are much better now but still a bit sketchy.didnt see any slides in chappel.most of the big hills are untouched and there is a reason for that.RIP to the 2 semi drivers.that was a brutal crash.

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rider triggered avy from Allen Creek on the 20th. Pics taken from height of land so not the best.
We came across this around 1pm. Heard that it was set off in the morning. Hard to see but the crack propagates across and down the slope for someways towards the trees there.

Added a 4th pic. You can zoom in and see a pretty big terrain trap this would have funneled the rider into had he been caught. which would have made for a ****ty recovery.

Play safe.

Last edited:

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that backside of Hillclimb?
I rarely go to Allen so I'm not good with the names but it's on the ridge you cross just before the caribou bowl? where Maxwell's sled is. You can see the highway from the ridge

Top Bottom