2016 / 2017 Valemount Conditions and Updates

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the avalanche was right after avi alley,no injuries or fatalitys,non typical avalanche,riders were parked in tree area only one guy on slope,all ok,some sled damage and lost gear

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the avalanche was right after avi alley,no injuries or fatalitys,non typical avalanche,riders were parked in tree area only one guy on slope,all ok,some sled damage and lost gear

Glad to hear no one got hurt. Is avi valley far in allen creek?

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not far in at all.... about 1/4 the way to the back.... it's called avalanche ally for a reason.... people have died there in the past and still riders roll the dice high marking there....

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode the last three days there with huge snow loads there was a lot of Sledder in town as we where leaving I would recommend to stay clear of the deep and steep areas shoulder deep in safe treed areas we hit perfect Sledded wed thurs fri power everywhere best snow condition of the year by far..... ride safe and know where and where not to be....

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sunshine, blue skies and DEEP SNOW! What could be better.

All three riding areas groomed up again this evening.

Play safe out there!

Attachments

• sm small.jpg
    sm small.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 646

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might be a long shot but did anyone happen to find a iPhone 6 at Allen today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chappel is beattttt. Clear skies all day, felt warm up top and noticeably colder at the parking lot.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were in Allen today. Even with the Avy advisory some people still seem to never listen. Saw 4 fresh avys today, two size 1's and two size 2-3's. The one we watched a guy climb out of as his buddies were sitting in the avy path. Luckily it didn't run down to them. Anyways we chatted with the lucky fellow. I said "holy f*ck" his response was " ya that was close hey. I proceeded to ask him if the wind loaded slab, no other tracks on the hill, steep angle, or the special advisory wasn't enough to keep him from making better decisions. He had no answer. The other one we noticed from across a ridge and looked fresh. Probably about 15 feet deep in some spots no one was around and we saw no tracks, so decided to do a quick search but found nothing. Make smart decisions out there folks. Also see the last photo below for a pic of the avy earlier this week just after avy alley. The run out was crazy long, looks like the guy who broke his leg hit a tree about 300ft from the bottom of the hill.

zeke800

Reaction score
Anyone on here ride Clemina today. Just got to town and wondering which area to ride first tommorrow

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, that one in upper superbowl was new as of today. Was not there yesterday. Thats a big sucker.

The others, I believe we saw them all yesterday, I even called one as we drove by stating that it would be triggered by the time we got back (near backside of old hillclimb) and yup, sure was. A few events in Clemina today to sz2 as well. The mid Dec pwl is active with this new load and is running far and fast.

Many people making poor terrain decisions got lucky this weekend, plain and simple.....

With ample new snow, blue skies and many lines to play in, why risk it? In these conditions, what rewards are gained from these choices that are worth the risk?

Confused and frustrated...

We were in Allen today. Even with the Avy advisory some people still seem to never listen. Saw 4 fresh avys today, two size 1's and two size 2-3's. The one we watched a guy climb out of as his buddies were sitting in the avy path. Luckily it didn't run down to them. Anyways we chatted with the lucky fellow. I said "holy f*ck" his response was " ya that was close hey. I proceeded to ask him if the wind loaded slab, no other tracks on the hill, steep angle, or the special advisory wasn't enough to keep him from making better decisions. He had no answer. The other one we noticed from across a ridge and looked fresh. Probably about 15 feet deep in some spots no one was around and we saw no tracks, so decided to do a quick search but found nothing. Make smart decisions out there folks. Also see the last photo below for a pic of the avy earlier this week just after avy alley. The run out was crazy long, looks like the guy who broke his leg hit a tree about 300ft from the bottom of the hill.

Last edited:

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man people are retarted,spoke with curtis in the parkin lot and he said avy conditions were bad..so we just played in the flats.why risk your life for a pull? Morons.people like that shouldnt be allowed on the mountain.they endanger us all.sick of hearing about this stuff.you idiots are the reason people get killed.go home.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There were avys in pretty much all riding areas.
The one in Red Sands happened just after we left and we saw fresh avy activity in Renshaw Saturday at Sirit Lake and this.
Surprisingly none of these guys risking their lives lost their life.

There will always be some............

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man people are retarted,spoke with curtis in the parkin lot and he said avy conditions were bad..so we just played in the flats.why risk your life for a pull? Morons.people like that shouldnt be allowed on the mountain.they endanger us all.sick of hearing about this stuff.you idiots are the reason people get killed.go home.
This is the case most times, but sometimes you can be doing everything right and **** still goes south, even on the lower angle stuff.

The mountain always has the upper hand on you.

But calling people retards isn't doing anyone a service.

If you see concerns in the snowpack or other people's riding, snap a picture report your findings here and help educate the situation.

Cheers :)

snoking

Reaction score
The avy in redsands was a dumb move plain and simple. I looked at the slope ten minutes earlier and told my buddies that was way too dangerous to play on. The guy that triggered it forgot to put the handle on his avy pack and didn't even have a shovel on him. We had to dig his buddy out up to his eyeballs in snow and dig 2 sleds out.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rolled up (Redsands) just after the sleds were dug out. I honestly couldn't believe someone would take a run at that slope. Let alone 2 guys on it at once. The shock of seeing something that large quickly turns to anger when u find out how it was triggered !

Top Bottom