2015 Freeride or Summit?

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some good info from people who have ridden both?

I really like the looks of the freeride and always thought about getting one. I'm starting to air larger and larger and want something that can take the hits. But at the same time is a blast boondocking and shredding the hills!

Is the width really that noticeable compared to the summit? Even with the sway bar out? I've been able to shred my 08 all these years and it is MUCH wider!

All advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

DHB

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

summitzx

Reaction score
My boyfriend has a 2013 summit 163 and I have the 2014 freeride 154. The ski width is slightly noticeable yes mostly on the hard packed snow. On the 2013 summit we actually moved the skis out to the widest setting so that it would handle a bit better on the trail. The freeride is a beast on the trails with the wider ski stance and the shocks. Off the trail and in the deep snow it has not disappointed me in the handling and more then enough power to get you into trouble. If the snow is set up with a base it can catwalk on command. I am down one bumper already ha ha .The only problem I am having it keeping the boys off the dam thing. Everyone that rode mine last year was wanting to snow check one this year till the they saw the colours option. No one is liking the pink.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend has a 2013 summit 163 and I have the 2014 freeride 154. The ski width is slightly noticeable yes mostly on the hard packed snow. On the 2013 summit we actually moved the skis out to the widest setting so that it would handle a bit better on the trail. The freeride is a beast on the trails with the wider ski stance and the shocks. Off the trail and in the deep snow it has not disappointed me in the handling and more then enough power to get you into trouble. If the snow is set up with a base it can catwalk on command. I am down one bumper already ha ha .The only problem I am having it keeping the boys off the dam thing. Everyone that rode mine last year was wanting to snow check one this year till the they saw the colours option. No one is liking the pink.

They made a black option too! I was feeling weird about the Magenta at first, but now I think I would go for it. Not to mention that green is my favorite color! :p thx for the info!

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have to let them know that, you may have made a few men happy by saying that

uploadfromtaptalk1394248706332.jpg

summitzx

Reaction score
Dam it, now I want a new sled lol. I love that green. I texted the guys and they said if I am toying with them I and going to get my ass kicked. You have made their day thanks for the info.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Straight from the skidoo mountain fb page. It's legit

summitzx

Reaction score
Perfect thanks so much. I think you just sold three at least, you should see if you can get commission ha ha

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not pink……it's "magenta" LOL

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just really want to know if that extra weight and slightly wider stance is that big of a deal? Have the 13 and 14 summits been holding up to jumping?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridden both and personally prefer my setup. Summit with Elka stage 5 and wide stance. I can feel the weight difference over my 08 to the 14 summit. So if I were going from a 08 summit to a freeride which is heavier than my 14 summit, it would be noticeable. As mentioned the freeride is a beast on the trail. In the mountains you can feel that wider stance. As well carving I found the running boards dragging at times. Everyone will say in pow you will not notice it, this is true but we don't always get deep pow days when you want to play.

when I was looking into my decision I found a lot of pro riders on skidoo's were not using the freeride, more or less a modified summit. Not the decision maker but enough to sway it for me.

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 13 summit 154, buddy has a 14 freeride. The free ride soaks up the rough **** awsome it is harder to manouver in the tight stuff compared to the summit. He took the quick discconect off the stabelizer and that makes a big difference if your into air the wider boards are nice for landing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridden both and personally prefer my setup. Summit with Elka stage 5 and wide stance. I can feel the weight difference over my 08 to the 14 summit. So if I were going from a 08 summit to a freeride which is heavier than my 14 summit, it would be noticeable. As mentioned the freeride is a beast on the trail. In the mountains you can feel that wider stance. As well carving I found the running boards dragging at times. Everyone will say in pow you will not notice it, this is true but we don't always get deep pow days when you want to play.

when I was looking into my decision I found a lot of pro riders on skidoo's were not using the freeride, more or less a modified summit. Not the decision maker but enough to sway it for me.

yep. i think thats the winner summit with good shocks. let her rip

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idk.... Really liking the looks of that freeride! Plus when I start smashing huge air I don't want it falling apart

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 freeride with over 5000km of riding in Revy this season,, Freeride kicks azz is all im gonna say...

PonyboyCurtis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a '14 summitx 163 and my buddy has a '14 freeride 154. I love my summit but I hopped on his and was having a blast! Either way they are both sick sleds. I would Love to have both a 174T3 and freeride next year. Both have pros and cons

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm riding the 14 freeride. It's awesome!!! I have ridden summits since 07. They have all folded from aggressive riding-airing etc. get the freeride- it's the best sled out there! Everyone I know that throws down has one and can't stop talking about them. The 2"extra means nothing. However I did stuck between 2 trees once after being accustomed to the narrower summit. Pack a saw- no problems...

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm riding the 14 freeride. It's awesome!!! I have ridden summits since 07. They have all folded from aggressive riding-airing etc. get the freeride- it's the best sled out there! Everyone I know that throws down has one and can't stop talking about them. The 2"extra means nothing. However I did stuck between 2 trees once after being accustomed to the narrower summit. Pack a saw- no problems...

Nice! I'm stokked! It's still a lot narrower than my 08!

Top Bottom