2015 - 2016 Winter predictions have started...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

One day................

Well, I used to buy my rum by the case whenever I went to Inuvik. It was a dry community but who was to know I was drinking rum/coke in my coffee cup. Cocaine and MJ were the drugs of choice in the community. Only drank in my apartment with neighbours (DPW foreman and Coop manager) and never with the locals. It was just too risky. Every week I'd have to send a student home for MJ, or serious disrespect, vicious bullying, etc. and the parents would get very upset for picking on poor little Jane/Johnny. I couldn't give them an excuse with a little relaxational rum drinking.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I had a 98 RMK600 great sled and no engine issues...those were the good old days...
I bought my first new sled in 98. 600RMK... Didnt snow hardly at all. :(

Time to drag the Summits in for warranty this morning so I am ready in the fall. Who am I kidding? I'm ready now! Who needs brakes or guages anyway??

And why are Ray and Larry trolling in Snowmobile Chat???

Lol trolls

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2000, I bought a '98 Yamaha Venture... family sled and all. My God I got into great shape dragging that tank everywhere in Brazeau country. The snow that year was pretty good, sledding off the packed trails was very hard work and not very rewarding for the family. Especially with the little ones in a skiboggan behind us. By the time we stopped for a wiener roast and a beer on our trips, I was starving from working my butt off getting the Yammy unstuck.
I would fall asleep in the hot tub almost after every time!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be an interesting year for sure. With the lack of precip this winter, it could be very hot and dry as we are already seeing. With forest fires come smoke, how much that smoke will reflect radiant sun heat etc, the warmer the ocean currents, the longer the water bodies stay open, more lake and ocean effect snow, etc etc. El nino temps only need to rise but 0.5 degree to change the global patterns. We need the polar jet stream to bring cold air from the north and the precip in off the ocean, not the southerly winds like we had this year. The temp rise in the ocean needs be for 3 consecutive months, so we are still a ways out for these "predictors"..... and keep in mind that the almighty Almanac, also said this past winter was supposed to be cold and long, and it was completely the opposite of what they predicted - west was supposed to be cold/snow, atlantic coast was supposed to mild and warm. Weather prediction FAIL. Old Farmer's Almanac weather forecast: Cold and snowy winter for Canada | CTV News

I remember 1998 - the 670 Summit I had, could barely get through all the snow. It was the first and only year that I ever rode before Rememberance Day - we did a road ride on about 2 feet of snow on Nov 1. "During the 1998/1999 season, Mt. Baker in Washington recorded the most snow of any location in the world during a single season. That amount was 1,140 inches, or in terms you might be able to get your head around, 95 feet, which is about the size of a big pine tree in Washington" hopefully we hit that again but after this past winter, I would be happy with just an average snowfall season.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not what I was hoping for...

ENSO Alert System Status:
El Niño Advisory
Synopsis: There is an approximately 90% chance that El Niño will continue through Northern
Hemisphere summer 2015, and a greater than 80% chance it will last through 2015.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can believe some schools of thought regarding next winters predicted weather, it is going to be warmer than last winter here in the west. The summer will be hotter than it ever has and that heat will recede for the winter but it will still be warmer than normal and warmer than last winter.

I doo have my wood shed full and I am waiting to see what Mother Nature will bring! :snow: or :rain:

I hope you don't have to change your 4m name to "Fernierain"

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a talk with mother nature last weekend, there will be little to no snow this winter coming! best to sell sleds while u can, and before ol crazy legs starts his rain dance this fall!!!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a talk with mother nature last weekend, there will be little to no snow this winter coming! best to sell sleds while u can, and before ol crazy legs starts his rain dance this fall!!!!

Can you ask ole crazy legs for some rain dancing now?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just want it to snow like a bastard all season, create a realistically stable snowpack and be stupid deep every time I go out riding. Is that too much to ask for?

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be lots and lots of snow... someplace.
Looks like mainly right on west coast mountains or in Eastern Canada/US. Just means more traveling. Roads trips are awesome... :)

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
June Update:
Not good news!
ENSO Alert System Status:
El Niño Advisory
Synopsis: There is a greater than 90% chance that El Niño will continue through Northern
Hemisphere fall 2015, and around an 85% chance it will last through the 2015-16 winter.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the El Nino predictions as you want, but there is a 90% probability of an El Nino winter, which will carry on into spring...
Means it it a very strong likelihood that Alberta may see a worse winter than last year.
The BC coast looks to be normal for precip, but temps will be a tad warmer through the winter. The warmer temps and the drop in precip will continually progress east through the Rockies to where it looks like it will be drier than a popcorn fart in the Prairies.
Means the sled trailer is going to used alot more this year looking for snow.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Take the El Nino predictions as you want, but there is a 90% probability of an El Nino winter, which will carry on into spring...
Means it it a very strong likelihood that Alberta may see a worse winter than last year.
The BC coast looks to be normal for precip, but temps will be a tad warmer through the winter. The warmer temps and the drop in precip will continually progress EAST through the Rockies to where it looks like it will be drier than a popcorn fart in the Prairies.
Means the sled trailer is going to used alot more this year looking for snow.

Fixed it for you. :)

Top Bottom