2013 800 Etec won't start....has spark & fuel

bjohnson

Reaction score
Hello, riding my 2013 Summit X etec 800 last night (first ride of the year & has 3400 km) and it began to run rough and finally died. Would not start or fire so I removed the plugs and checked for spark...plugs have spark and I confirmed the sled has fuel also. Any ideas as to what I can check next?

Thanks for any help guys!

Brian

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello, riding my 2013 Summit X etec 800 last night (first ride of the year & has 3400 km) and it began to run rough and finally died. Would not start or fire so I removed the plugs and checked for spark...plugs have spark and I confirmed the sled has fuel also. Any ideas as to what I can check next?

Brian

Whats your spark plug gap, how do your plugs look? How does your fuel smell? How long were you riding before it died? Engine light come on before it died?

bjohnson

Reaction score
original plugs so gap I would assume is correct and set by dealer, plugs are a bit wet but normal brown color. Fuel seems ok, first trip out and sled went for less than 1 km before it died. No engine lights came on, was running intermittently rough at idle shortly before it died.

bjohnson

Reaction score
Got the sled warmed up, added a little octane boost and more fresh gas and it is starting to fire but still won't run for more than a couple of seconds every 2nd or 3rd try. At this point I am pretty sure it is just a fuel problem...still troubleshooting.
Brian

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend had a 2011 Etec, Ran like crap in the mountains, got worse and worse, until it would barely even start. Replaced the plugs with stockers, night and day difference. Replace the plugs as the gap changes with age, metal fatigue, abrasion etc. I would replace the fuel completely too if the plugs don't make a difference. But, start there anyways, Brian.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd change out those plugs with that kind of mileage. My sled fouled a set of plugs with 800 miles on them after trio to the dealer. Pulled on that sicker for a half hour trying to get it to go. Put new plugs in and it was running on the first pull like it should.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Vidgren

Reaction score
I changed mine at 5000km. Way to late if you ask me. The plug was worn out. Had a gap of aprox 3mm.

3000km/plug is what im going for.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Brian

I would be checking your stator/flywheel. Lots of 2013's with this issue. Just make sure you know what you are doing when you remove flywheel, otherwise you can do more damage than good. 4-5 of five I have checked all had issues. There is a sleeve in the flywheel that comes loose and contacts the stator. This is issue on 2013 and 2014 from what I can tell. For 2015 brp did an update on the flywheel to correct the problem. Did you get any codes?

Vidgren

Reaction score
And if you havent replaced sparkplugs nows the time.

Mine looked awful after 4000km.

King

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to replace the gas. Just add a bottle of methanol to your tank (Gasline Antifreeze) . You'll be fine. Also change those plugs.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to replace the gas. Just add a bottle of methanol to your tank (Gasline Antifreeze) . You'll be fine. Also change those plugs.
No methanol -gas line antifreeze in 2 smokes guys, it separates the oil from gas in the bearings ect

Isopropal alcohol or sea foam

sent while drinking tea's

Top Bottom