2012 rmk pro , shock adjusment

sturgeon

Reaction score
i was wondering if somebody could shed some light on this subject , is it better to have more spring pressure on the frt track spring for better hill climbing or less , more spring preload decrease ski pressure better climbing ?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if somebody could shed some light on this subject , is it better to have more spring pressure on the frt track spring for better hill climbing or less , more spring preload decrease ski pressure better climbing ?
No definitive answer. You want sufficient front track shock pressure for traction, too much will initiate trenching. Contrary to popular belief, the sled shouldn't be carrying it's skis 3' off the snow when climbing, maybe 2-3" tops. This is why coupled skid have become so popular - they can provide almost no coupling for playing in the trees (providing good weight transfer and a see-saw effect), but with a minor adjustment limit weight transfer for climbing steep hills. This is accomplished by limiting rear scissor movement, forcing the front end down. What sled are you riding, and what are you trying to accomplish?

sturgeon

Reaction score
riding 2012 pro 800 163 track ,just looking for the best set up for climbing and boon docking.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And what is it you don't like about the setup now? Poor traction, insufficient ski pressure, too much ski pressure, too much or too little weight transfer? What do you weigh with gear? The owner's manual is a really good guide for setting suspension, beyond that you'll be looking into shock revalve or replacement shocks / springs. I run Zbroz spring kit on all four shocks on my wife'e 2013 Pro - better ride quality her opinion... if we 660 it will likely upgrade to Exit shocks frt & rear

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found the best climbinng and best boondocking require different settings. A soft front shock and tighter limiter strap are best for climbing because this lets the front of the track mold to the landscape and the limiter keeps the atack angle low and the skis close to the snow. If the front end is lifting high, you will not only trench but will have to let off the throttle to regain steering to navigate around trees.

For boondocking I like the limiter strap out and the front shock tighter for less ski pressure so the sled is light and easy to roll over.

The comprimise I end up with is the limiter strap out and the front shock tight and to compensate I tighten the rear shock to keep the front end down on climbs. This works good for me but it can suck on a bumpy trail since the shocks are hard. I keep the front shocks soft to try to regain some ride comfort.

Top Bottom