2012 Pro RMK electrical problem

sledhead80

Reaction score
Well it was the first ride out this year and it I have an interimitant electrical problem. The sled will not start some of the time. When it doesn't want to start the lights are very dim when pulling the sled over. As well I pulled the plugs and the are dry + no spark. I checked all my connections everywhere and they all seem good. I also greased all my connections a while ago with dielectric grease so it shouldn't be water in a connection. I'm thinking it's the voltage regulator or the ignition coil. When it does finally decide to start it runs fine until it's shut off and then it's a guessing game wether it starts or not. Any useful help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the voltage regulators on the 2010 models were junk, and that spanned more model years, just not sure which ones. I was riding the 2010 when it started failing and first the dash cluster went dark, then it won't rev higher than about 6000, then it wouldn't start. After I let it sit for maybe 30 minutes it started again but same symptoms.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a tether on the sled? It could also be getting faulty. I would try unplugging it as well and see if that helps.

sledhead80

Reaction score
Do you have a tether on the sled? It could also be getting faulty. I would try unplugging it as well and see if that helps.

Yes i do and yeah I unplugged it. Didn't make a difference. Thanks though.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look for frayed wiring on places where the wiring harness could rub on metal components.

scooter1

Reaction score
Check your fuel pump. Very common on theses sleds. When they fail it will kill the electrical system. test it make sure the pump is drawing less than 5amps. You can remove pump from tank and bench test as well,

Last edited:

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend had a similar problem. Turned out to be the 2 wires that are between the gas tank and the airbox were pinched and intermittetly shorting out. Might be worth a look.

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your fuel pump. Very common on theses sleds. When they fail it will kill the electrical system. test it make sure the pump is drawing less than 5amps. You can remove pump from tank and bench test as well,

It makes a differences if you test it in the sled with fuel line back pressure , fuel pressure regulator is set at 58-60psi and i have read that this fuel pump motor draws 98 watts under full load , so at 12 volts this would be 8 amps , i could see getting under 5 amps if testing on bench with no line pressure load ? just trying to under stand what it should be , tested mine in sled connected to a 12volt battery and the amp draw was 5.2 amps , pump sounds good.
I did find a lose wire / bad connection in the wire harness to fuel pump connection ( black plug connector ) if i wiggled it , i could get the pump to stop and restart , so i am cutting this connector out and hard soldering it , thinking / hoping this was my problem.

Last edited:

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI
Just replaced my pump on my '11 turbo'd with 5900 kms. Tested on sled, its was drawing 6.7 amps.
Replaced it with new & re-tested it with 4.2 amp draw.

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI
Just replaced my pump on my '11 turbo'd with 5900 kms. Tested on sled, its was drawing 6.7 amps.
Replaced it with new & re-tested it with 4.2 amp draw.

Thanks for the info , i retested my on the sled , running , amp draw was 5.3 , so maybe its starting to go ,.
+sledwrecks+ WHAT WAS YOUR SLED DOING TO MAKE YOU LOOK AT THE FUEL PUMP , where did you get your new one and how much $$$

Thanks

Top Bottom