2012 Pro 800 issue

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled will start and run but I am not getting any power to my accessories right off start up, but when power turns on accessories the sled will die.
I have replaced the fuel pump and the voltage regulator on the clutch cover. Have unplugged the accessories to make sure they aren't drawing to much power, also have unplugged the tether. If you have had any similar symptoms please let me know I'm just trying to comb through everything.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you unplug the connector to your rear stop light? It's located in a crappy spot behind your air box. I had one ground out on the tunnel once and behaved like that. Did you test your stator?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
If you are going to test your stator use a fluke meter, a regular ohm meter does not give precise measurement, trust me I found out the hard way, it is not a hard test to do and quite unlikely that it is a stator but anything is possible.If you need the specs for the stator look under my battery flashing post I believe I put it on there. I would check all grounds first and then look for rubbed through wiring. Good luck.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have tested some of the stator, but I didn't have all the specs. Does anybody know if the specs for a 2012 pro stator and a 2013 have the same readings? Im gonna use Catmans page for the specs from his thread but those specs are for a 2013. I am also gonna build a TPS tester today if I can locate all the parts. Catman did it turn out your stator was hooped?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Specs are the same and my stator was fine but I wanted to stress the proper meter because with my generic one it showed the wrong numbers which indicated that my stator was shot but it was right in spec when i used a fluke meter. Tps will affect runability but shouldnt be giving you the problems you are experiencing, although it never hurts to check it as well.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's the only kind of meter that I use. The stator specs seem to all be within acceptable limits. The only thing I couldn't find was the black to black value as I don't have two black wires but I believe I found the wires it spoke of and they were also yellow in colour but it ohm out fine according to the black to black specs. I built a tps tuner today now I just need to build a adapter for the tps harness to make it easier to get a good read out.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled will start and run but I am not getting any power to my accessories right off start up, but when power turns on accessories the sled will die.
I have replaced the fuel pump and the voltage regulator on the clutch cover. Have unplugged the accessories to make sure they aren't drawing to much power, also have unplugged the tether. If you have had any similar symptoms please let me know I'm just trying to comb through everything.

Thanks

Is it electric start? Shorted batteries can do strange things

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's not the TPS check that rear tail light. The wire rubs under the cover on the tunnel and shorts. It's a PIA to get to the plug but if it shorts it can make it idle low and die. In my case there was no headlight or instrument cluster power.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will check it tonight as well. Thanks for the ideas guys!

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tps seemed to check out fine. Adjusted it a little for the static measurement from .677 to .710 and idle to .938 the tps has no opens all the way through it. And wide open reading was 4.117. All seems fine but please let me know if you think any of these setting I have left are questionable. The sled is still doing the same thing. All seemed fine with the tail light as well.

Lance

Reaction score
Sounds like a ground problem either a bare wire touching metal or two wires running touching check all grounds

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running a riser for your bars? I would check the wires from your bars down into and including the cluster of wires wrapped together in that velcro wrap protective covering. Can get moisture in there as well. I had a wire rubbed through down below the base of my bars that caused me some grief for a while. Good luck.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I had the time to finally get it sorted it. I went through all the wiring and checked all the connections etc. I replaced the stator as it was just barely out of spec on one reading (ohm out the new one and it was very similar on readings and even a tiny bit out of spec from factory as well.) but replaced it just so i could be sure and the problem still existed. Bench tested the capacitor and had 2 other parties do so as well and it worked the way it should have every time but still had a feeling it was possibly the cause of the issue. So I unplugged it and hooked in a battery and the problem went away and sled worked flawlessly.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of the time it ends up being the male/female plug... sometimes you can get away with expanding the pins to make sure they fit tight..

Top Bottom