2012 ETEC Summit Upgrades/Mods

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didnt see a post on this other than a what do you think of the 2012 ETECS. This got me to thinking post up your upgrades/mods, recommended upgrades/mods, etc....

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok which can you got and who's clutch you put in?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pick a can, any can from the etec can thread. MBRP has enough question marks on performance reports to say stay away for now.

Clutching...its very subjective.

Is there something the sled is doing to make you believe the clutches are not performing correctly?

What more do you want to see from the sleds performance? Is it not pulling proper RPM's? Not enough track speed? Lags on the bottom end?

I can tell you what I don't like about the stock clutching and what I am going to do to try and cure it, but it doesn't mean that is what you want as an end result.

For the most part, the stock clutching is good for many people.

I can deffinetly say these sleds have way to much junk under the hood, but we have to keep the noise police happy. If you haven't already done so, remove every bit of foam that is going to suck up water from the engine area. I also remove anything that restricts air flow. Like the plastic piece on the exhaust side near the thermostat housing, and I put the tool kit in the seat storage then remove that large section of plastic. Exhaust side and clutch side vents were added. Even with the large CVT cooler piece, more airflow is better.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with mine inparticular. Just thought a thread with what guys have done and why may be a valuable thread for others to check for fixes that others have done. I will be replacing can, and that's about it until I have specific issues for me

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a mbrp on my 2011 and I love the sound and ive had no issues so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtripps

Reaction score
I am not a doo guy myself, but the guys i ride with are running the SLP can, sounds great and lightens things up, they are also going to the vented side pannels as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with mine inparticular. Just thought a thread with what guys have done and why may be a valuable thread for others to check for fixes that others have done. I will be replacing can, and that's about it until I have specific issues for me

Depending on your weight, you might end up wanting to add pin weight to the primary.

I'm a lightweight and haven't had the sled over clicker #2 yet pulling 7900-8000 everywhere. 500+ miles on the sled. After break in I went full exhaust change and back on clicker #1 and am pulling too high rpm on smaller pulls.

Of the comments I have read, most are the saying the same. Not enough pin weight for the 154. I would think if you are 180-190 lbs you are likely alredy doing well around #3.

If you are happy with the clutching for now, then stick with it. No point in changing something and chasing gremlins down the road.

As far as threads go, the First Ride Report thread has a little bit of info in it.

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
MOD #1: Its funny but the best & cheapest mod you could ever do is..........JENNY CRAIG!!!!!!!!
Lucky (usually) for me is that I am 30+ lbs lighter than most, others tend to dislike someone that can highmark them at half throttle (trust me, I know)
MOD #2: Become a better rider by stetching your limits in small doses, confidence & experience can do wonders (Tops my list as I don't ride nearly as much as I want too!!!!!
But I am always trying to get better, try something new!!!!!)

Nothing against the basic mods but no point going extreme unless you know how to use it. My 09 still has an untouched Powertek engine, & some other slight mods for durability & traction, made a huge difference. I have heard some sad excuses from modified 180+hp sleds that won't go anywhere near where I go with my measely 151hp, but that is all rider in my opinion

cbsharp

Reaction score
I got a jc vent kit, bmp y pipe and can, and i have a set of air frame steps on order.

Last edited:

Badnews

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 2012 summit and it has a MBRP can on it.

1) It has 154km on the machine and previous owner said he had no issues. Just read to stay away from MBRP cans......Any specific reasons?.

2) also I have always run shell synthetic in my cat and am wondering if the summit will accept it.

I just switched from an M1000 to Ski-doo summit X.

Hello new family!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to stay away from MBRP, but of the sleds who have reported issues, it seems many are running MBRP cans.

Is your 2012 an etec or ptek?

Lots of people run Shell fluids. I don't want to bother getting into an oil debate. Run what you want to run. I've run BRP fluids in my XP's. and specifically will only run Full Syn BRP oil in my new sled. Someone will argue that there is no point in paying more. I buy mine in bulk and I pay less or equal too any other quality XYZ brand.

Read through the threads. There is some good info on what you might want to be doing to your sled. Enjoy.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 X I put on so far:

- Mountain Addiction gas cans
- Quick Disconnects
- Quick Clickers
- Tower Brace
- 7 inch Smitty Risers
- Specialty Sleds exhaust can
- Tunnel Stiffeners
- Ripped out all the foam
- Killed off all the yellow, looks alot better to me

So far very happy with the sled, had 2 weekends out so far front end stands up a bit more then I like but nothing some adjusting wont take care of. Next will prob be some venting hope to get that done this month. Any suggestions??? I have really only looked at JC and from what I can tell look pretty good.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to stay away from MBRP, but of the sleds who have reported issues, it seems many are running MBRP cans.

Is your 2012 an etec or ptek?

Lots of people run Shell fluids. I don't want to bother getting into an oil debate. Run what you want to run. I've run BRP fluids in my XP's. and specifically will only run Full Syn BRP oil in my new sled. Someone will argue that there is no point in paying more. I buy mine in bulk and I pay less or equal too any other quality XYZ brand.

Read through the threads. There is some good info on what you might want to be doing to your sled. Enjoy.

2012 X with the ETEC

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen some limits on the DJ kit. I'm running it in mine, I will talk to Deano at Mad Motorsports for my next clutch kit. Mind you, I'm running a BB Ptek engine.

Jeff Braap Woginowski

Reaction score
Whatever dean puts in and does to your sled kicks ass. He did my 08 up for me last year and I will defiantly be going back once my 2012 x etec is broke in. He is a wizard with sleds. Ps dj clutch kits are junk.

Top Bottom