2011 yamaha apex eps 1st ride

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
1st ride 2011 yam apex with eps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys n` gals. O.K. 1st I`m gonna try and keep this brief. But I`m stoked and really excited to convey my test ride on this new Yamaha Apex. Yesterday I sat through the usual "FACTORY" dealer meeting. The rah, rah we are #1 ect... propaganda. Market share blah, blah...pump up your dealers. The usual that all dealers have to sit through with any OEM. Truth, I had three things on my mind. In order of priority.
a) I smell pizza, when is lunch.
b) I hope Danny does not start to snore.
c) This new sled is not for our market anyway... I`m sure I smell pizza.

Anyway after all the banner waving and chest pounding. I was time to go for a ride. Finally some fresh air. The day could not have been nicer. Warm, blue sky and awesome terrain. (Rocky Mtn. House). There were a selection of sleds as well as the new EPS Apex 2011. The guys from Yamaha are serious sledders and have a few sled celebs in thier ranks. Guys like Randy Swenson for starters. They layed out a great course. Some deeper stuff, tight trails, fast bumpy trails...the kind where if your ski grabs, you do a 90 degree turn directly into the woods.

To be honest, I thought power steering on a sled was reaching a little. Run out of ideas? Why not just put a kick stand on it?

Let me just say this. Have you ever driven an old car with armstrong steering? That is what we are ALL driving now with sleds. The power steering is unreal period. Sure, it makes the steering light and easy. But that is just the start. How about flat cornering with no inside ski lift? Or bump deflection? The control factor in fast bumpy conditions is unreal. You are not fighting against the bars. I first rode a couple "regular armstrong steering" sleds down the fast bumpy sections of trail. I got arm pump trying to keep up. I thought damn these guys are a fast group.

Trading sleds. No arm pump. Must faster through rough sections and totally in control. Simply amazing.

When the Yamaha Grizzly 700 ATV came out with power steering there was a rumble from the whole peanut gallery. Now what OEM does not make a power steering ATV? In fact you can get the Grizzly with or with out power steering. I have never sold a non`power steering model.

This system "EPS" on the new Apex is no after thought. If you hear negative on this sled. The guy talking has not ridden it. No seminar is going to convey riding this machine. They will be available to ride at Yamaha fest 2011. March 27th.

I had so much fun Yesterday. If you want to chew the fat call me! I`ll share my thoughts and opinions with you. They are only my humble opinions. If I sound stoked...I`m still smilling. It`s been awhile since a new sled ready excited me.

THIS JUST IN!! WE HAVE SECURED 2 NEW APEX EPS 2011 MACHINES FOR FEB. 24TH!! LET`S GO RIDE `EM. STILL HAVE TO DETERMINE LOCATION. SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO ST.ALBERT. ANYBODY WANT TO GO TRY THEM? CALL US TO SIGN UP. WE CAN ONLY TAKE SO MANY , SO GET YOUR NAME IN AND BOOK THAT DAY OFF!

Have a great day!
Greg Symbaluk.
780-458-7272 ext.3

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Great write-up Greg...

I am not a yammi fan, but I do like keeping up on what is new and improved and heading to market. I have never ridden a Yamaha or any 4 stroke, so I have nothing against them, just havent had the opportunity yet.

Thanks for the info, enjoy reading about all the new innovations.

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
Even as a dealer we are in the same boat as the consumer. We have to sell product. The Factory has to sell to us. There is always the issue of sorting out propaganda vs. bullch!t vs. what is really going on. I am going to be brutally blunt here because not many dealers will tell you this. I am 165 lbs. 46 years old and in the shape of a 73 year old lady. (well close anyway). I do not have a great deal of Mtn. experience. I have been going up 1 or 2 times a year for 25 years, but I`m still a rookie. My only choice is a Phazer MTX. I don`t have the technique or weight to throw around a big sled. I can have fun on a Phazer, but I`m an X-MOTOCROSSER. I want some power too. I know weight is an issue for mountain sledding. How can it not be? I think the Yamaha is a really well built sled. The Japanese are fantastic engineers. But you need technique , weight and experience to throw around a larger sled. This new APEX EPS really was a special treat to ride. It`s not just the power steering, it`s the whole package. The suspension (FOX AIR). The new sled has many little changes that make it work. Without inside ski lift and yaw (body roll) it makes the sled feel much lighter because you are not fighting weight shift. The Apex with 144" and EPS would be the ultimate poker rally/cross country sled. So easy to ride. The 144" would even be fun for some spring mountain riding. Funny how with the whole line up and weight being an issue for my size and ability, my personal choice would be the 2011 APEX EPS 144". That is a head scratcher. All I can say is...forget the reviews. Do your own. Come out and try it. We`ll be doing test rides Feb. 24th. There will be several models available to try.
Greg Symbaluk
Riverside Yamaha
780-458-7272 ext 3

sledidiot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome i love how everyone thinks we rule the market! we get the benefit of market demands in weired ways sometime. let Yamaha do there magic and it will come, why everyone thinks they have to market to mountain riders is beyond me? don't like it go buy other brands then! you will love one when you ride it finally!

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any word if EPS will be offered in other models, especially the Nytro?

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
This year (2011) no. However, in talking to some of the Big hill turbo guys yesterday like Randy Swenson. He was sratching his head and saying...you know these turbos work great, but we set the weight bias to the front to help keep the machine from catwalking. That makes for a long ride from the parking lot to the Alpine with heavy steering. The EPS would be awesome on the mountain line as well. So I hope soon wee see EPS expand to the Nytro and others.
Greg

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Greg,
I'm glad you enjoyed the machine, and your feedback is great.

I realize the mountain segment is not thier biggest market share, but this is the market I'm in. Still just the 130 hp class available in this segment when the other 3 are going lighter and more ponies. Yep power steering is an exciting change. I know it makes my Grizzly allot better, however does in constitute a 20.3% increase in price year over year? The EXUP did dick for the bikes, why even bother putting it on the sleds.
If there is a tone of bitterness in my comments, it is because with all the teasers they put out, and the hype it generated I was really looking forward to buying the new APEX MTX.
I will still be buying a 2011 sled..........just not a Yammi

Ya Greg, the dealers are also looking for new hp gains, upgrades, for the mountain sector... i know personally we sell 90% mountain and we are 8 hours from the closest mountain location!!!!! That said, the aftermarket comes into play...im sure they will be looking at offering the longtrack kits
but with the heavy price tag..... its gonna be an investment for sure....

My personal sled is an 08 apex mtn with some goodies,
-shockwave secondary
-geared up
-rb3 rapid bike programmer
-hauck exhaust- full system
-g-force super charger
-ad boivin zx2 suspension
-2.5 camo extreme track
-simmons skis....
-lefty throttle
-machined ink custom T&T wrap

I LOVE IT..... the g-force supercharger only 2400 with clutching...put it in the makes me smile big category.....the power to weight ratio seems almost perfect....

the g-force charger is a sleeper, u can t see it, cant here it and its a really good fit...

this machine with 200 hp naturally aspirated would be awesome.........i m sure yamaha can make that happen..

i am confused also as to why the big jump in $$ the ps cant be that expensive...but im just a dealer/rider..... thats my two bits....

We have new apex mountians for sale, new o8 se for 10,500 in ur truck
-or a 09c/w reverse for 11,900.00 in ur truck
-also have a 09 demo- apex mountain that would be $ 11400.0 345 km

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
That APEX Mtn. you have with the Supercharger is a great combo. The nice thing is that if you don`t have to "keep up with the Jones". That sled will be an awesome bulletproof Mtn. Sled for many , many years. These sleds will last long enough you don`t have to upgrade every year to keep up. 200h.p is plently of fun. Wait until they come up with exactly what you want before changing. Why is the EPS expensive? Great question. On the Grizzly ATV is was about a $1200 upgrade at retail. However, on this sled it`s not just the power steering. It`s also the Fox suspension front and rear. Redesigned exhaust and EXUP. Frame changes for less flex and yaw. It is a combination of many parts that make this system work as it should. Just bolting on EPS would not have the same effect.
Greg

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Nice to see 2 dealers contributing together in the same post. Props to both of you. I love hearing from fellow riders, as that is where great experience comes from, but when it comes to buying I love hearing from the dealers, and their experiences. Its easy to find a site where its all RAH RAH for a certain brand or even certain model, but nice to hear the dealers tell you the issues and/or benefits.

Greg, I havent had the opportunity to talk to you ever, but Terry has given me some great advice and insight since I have joined this site.

I really compliment you guys for taking the time to offer your advice and opionions while trying to run a shop at the same time.

Thanks

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to see 2 dealers contributing together in the same post. Props to both of you. I love hearing from fellow riders, as that is where great experience comes from, but when it comes to buying I love hearing from the dealers, and their experiences. Its easy to find a site where its all RAH RAH for a certain brand or even certain model, but nice to hear the dealers tell you the issues and/or benefits.

Greg, I havent had the opportunity to talk to you ever, but Terry has given me some great advice and insight since I have joined this site.

I really compliment you guys for taking the time to offer your advice and opionions while trying to run a shop at the same time.

Thanks

as always....just keeping it real....

and your welcome

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com

Thanks
Terry is a good contact to have. Anytime your dealer is an enthusiast, you know he is going to be a great help. Wish everyone would grasp that. It`s not just saving $50 somewhere else. It`s the service and dealing with someone that actually rides what they sell.

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
So if the rumours are true & Cat releases the M1000 HO at 190 HP and BRP puts thier 4 stroke into a mountain chassis, what are you Yammi dealers going to do with all those sleds that your chosen OEM is MAKING you haul to your yard?
I mean really, for the dealers out West, how are you going to move sleds when Blue wants $ 2200.00 more for way less machine?
& just so you don't get the impression that I'm just here bashing, I own an 07 Apex MTX SE, an 08 Phazer MTX and an 07 Grizzly 700 SE. At this point I could care less if the Yamaha factory burnt to the ground. It would be a more respecible way to get out of the snowmobile market than pricing themselves out of the market.
Good question. However, Yamaha is watching inventory and have been quite helpful. Not everybody needs a 2010 model. With the recession ect.. The non-currents are really well priced and affordable. Non-Current Apex has retail rebates of about $4600. Making them around $10 grand. Phazers are just over $7000. Some really good pricing. As far as getting out of the market? True, down East sales are very strong. Not many brands can say with a straight face that they have machines out there with 50,000+ kms. There are some really exciting projects going on with mountain sleds with Yamaha. They as a manufacturer are not just great engineers. They are enthusiasts and take great pride in thier products fit and finish as well as durability. Like any manufacturer they can only focus on product groups 1 at a time. R and D is expensive, especially when you are going a whole new direction like the four stroke sleds.

Greg Symbaluk

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question. However, Yamaha is watching inventory and have been quite helpful. Not everybody needs a 2010 model. With the recession ect.. The non-currents are really well priced and affordable. Non-Current Apex has retail rebates of about $4600. Making them around $10 grand. Phazers are just over $7000. Some really good pricing. As far as getting out of the market? True, down East sales are very strong. Not many brands can say with a straight face that they have machines out there with 50,000+ kms. There are some really exciting projects going on with mountain sleds with Yamaha. They as a manufacturer are not just great engineers. They are enthusiasts and take great pride in thier products fit and finish as well as durability. Like any manufacturer they can only focus on product groups 1 at a time. R and D is expensive, especially when you are going a whole new direction like the four stroke sleds.

Greg Symbaluk

Greg,

you are right, there are not many machines out there with 50,000km. I have thought about the 4 stroke reliability which needs to be expanded upon. The 4 stroke sleds have as much or more sensors and electornics than the 2 strokes which are subject to failure in the back country, sometimes more so than engine failure. Your 4 stroke sled is less likely to burn down from a lean operating condition. When you talk of 50,000 km +, I have to comment. A good 2 stroke engine based on my experiences will run 10,000 - 12,000 Km at which time a bore, pistons and rings are required, this is based on hard driving. Some fail sooner due to operating conditions and design issues but I have had good experiences with my Rotax motors. At the 12,000 km for an Alberta sled, the seat is likely worn, torn etc, the shocks are done, the track is worn, the clutches are worn, the suspension is worn, etc. etc. So what is the point of having a motor that produces less Hp than a 2 stroke but outlasts the economics of the chasis?

RIVERSIDE YAMAHA

Reaction score
Website
www.rideriverside.com
Greg,

you are right, there are not many machines out there with 50,000km. I have thought about the 4 stroke reliability which needs to be expanded upon. The 4 stroke sleds have as much or more sensors and electornics than the 2 strokes which are subject to failure in the back country, sometimes more so than engine failure. Your 4 stroke sled is less likely to burn down from a lean operating condition. When you talk of 50,000 km +, I have to comment. A good 2 stroke engine based on my experiences will run 10,000 - 12,000 Km at which time a bore, pistons and rings are required, this is based on hard driving. Some fail sooner due to operating conditions and design issues but I have had good experiences with my Rotax motors. At the 12,000 km for an Alberta sled, the seat is likely worn, torn etc, the shocks are done, the track is worn, the clutches are worn, the suspension is worn, etc. etc. So what is the point of having a motor that produces less Hp than a 2 stroke but outlasts the economics of the chasis?
Over a long period, how much more fuel and premix alone do you think you would spend? Replacing sliders,carbides, track ect... will be the same on any sled 2 or 4 stroke. With the proper maintenance and a little care. How many years do you think a sled that will last well over 50,000 kms would last you? Remember, these concepts are based on motorcycle technologies. I see many bikes come up from the States with 200,000 miles. The carbon foot print is a whole other way of looking at the 4 stroke as well. Zero oil back into the ground and enviroment, much, much better on fuel. Not fouled plugs, no jetting... easy to get spoilt. Now I`m not saying that they blow everyone away in each sector of the market. They don`t. For many applications other than just mountain, they really shine. Also in regards to your comment "a motor that produces less Hp than a 2 stroke". Remember a 4-stroke produces much more torque and mid range than most 2-strokes. It is not a direct comparison. H.P will give you your speed. Torque will get you up to that speed. There is a long and strong power curve with the 4-stroke delivery. A 2-stroke shines when "on the pipe". Great comments. I totally respect your questions and truly hope I did not come across rude or defensive.

All the best, Greg Symbaluk
P.S. Please come and join us for a test ride. With your background. You may enjoy yourself more than you thought. I`ll even buy you a hotdog.

Top Bottom