2010 Summit What do I need?

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gents

I just got a brand new sled from my fiancee for christmas and its been 10 years since I have owned one. So what should I be buying for this thing so I am mountain ready?

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1st off buy your self some avalanche gear dont even think about goin to the mountains with out this stuff.

Avalanche beacon
Pack/with shovel/and probe.

Thats all one really needs to ride the mtns. There is a thread on here saying what you should all pack when you go riding im sure some one knows what one im talking about its not a bad idea to have a look there and see.

As for mods i wouldnt worry or waste your money its a new 2010 summit and you stated that you havent owned one for 10 years, get used to the sled 1st then think about making it go steeper/deeper maybe a can if your after being loud but im not a ski doo guy so someone else may enlighten you on witch route to go on that.

Hope you enjoy your new toy
ride safe.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gents

I just got a brand new sled from my fiancee for christmas and its been 10 years since I have owned one. So what should I be buying for this thing so I am mountain ready?

Does your fiancee have a sister? Wow man she must really love you. 2010 Summit your set man. Just ride it.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avalanche beacon, got.
Shovel/Probe got.
Avalung Check.

No way am I going riding without the gear, thats just stupid.

As for my fiancee, yes she does have a sister but alas she is married off. And she got her husband a new sled for christmas. Gotta love women from poland!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avalanche beacon, got.
Shovel/Probe got.
Avalung Check.

As for my fiancee, yes she does have a sister but alas she is married off. And she got her husband a new sled for christmas. Gotta love women from poland!

Ya but is she happy?

SKI-D00

Reaction score
Clutch:
The clickers (locknuts on your clutch) should be turned down [there’s a little mark on the head -- should be at two right now] should be set to a higher number. Increased altitude = Increased clicker number. Make sure that all three clickers are in the same position.

Rear suspension:
In the front, inside of your track there is a limiter strap (only strap on the sled) I tighten it up as tight as the holes allow or one less for climbing. [Gives a better attack angle]

In the center, there is a spring. Increase preload (tighten) for better handling in deep snow.

In the rear, there's also a spring. Decrease preload (loosen) for better handling in deep snow as well as less trenching. (Less chance of getting stuck)

Also in the back, there are coupling blocks (black squares with numbers) up top. Turn this both blocks [left and right] to a 3 or 4. This reduces unwanted ski lift while climbing steep hills.

Other:
Also, we like to loosen our tracks a little and gear down in the mountains. This gives you better traction and climbing ability.

Most of all, be safe and have fun.

:d

doo-guy

Reaction score
There are a ton of mods you can do to the sled but just ride the thing and see how it feels. You probably already know that sleds have changed a bit in the last ten years. :yahoo:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avalanche beacon, got.
Shovel/Probe got.
Avalung Check.

Takes avalanche training, so many people have the equipment but don't know how to use them or they don't know how to identify bad areas!

I don't see why you need quick clickers, takes 5 minutes to change clickers clutch.

1) Set up suspension, front skis to soft setting, center spring in skid to 1/4 to 3/8" preload, let out limiter strap to last hole, set up rear blocks to 3 or 4
2) DJ Clutch kit with ramps ($370)
3) Vent kit (xxxmodrods/mountain fit, $100)
4) Shim kit on secondary, reduces clutch heat ($60) - I'm waiting for mine
5) Can ($300)

I'd say these are the musts for sure, then your sled will really rip!

I'd do the top

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride it first before you do any mods to Clutch or machine

These are good strong sleds right out of the box

You will be happy

Tweek the machine as you get up to speed on your riding skills

Too many people buy sleds and then spend money on mods and yet still need to learn how to ride it to its capacity

Unless you are a pro Dirt biker you need to give yourself time to learn how to ride in the mountains

birdie

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Takes avalanche training, so many people have the equipment but don't know how to use them or they don't know how to identify bad areas!

I don't see why you need quick clickers, takes 5 minutes to change clickers clutch.

1) Set up suspension, front skis to soft setting, center spring in skid to 1/4 to 3/8" preload, let out limiter strap to last hole, set up rear blocks to 3 or 4
2) DJ Clutch kit with ramps ($370)
3) Vent kit (xxxmodrods/mountain fit, $100)
4) Shim kit on secondary, reduces clutch heat ($60) - I'm waiting for mine
5) Can ($300)

I'd say these are the musts for sure, then your sled will really rip!

Quick clickers work awesome...can set up in about 10 seconds instead of 5 minutes and you don't need any tools and eliminates the possibility of dropping the adjusting nut while handling with cold hands.

Clutch kit not necessary on the 2010 as the clutching is greatly improved from the 08 & 09 xp (DJ Kit does work well on the pre-2010). Some guys may prefer a kit and it may be an improvement but I would ride it stock for a bit and see how you like it before you decide to make the change.

Not sure if the shimming is necessary as mine has had no problems with clutch heat...Vent kits are definitely worth putting in though.

A can will definitely light up your sled a few pounds...well worth the $300

Just my 2 cents after coming off an 08 xp and now riding a 2010...These machines are set up pretty decent this year straight out of the box.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the prefilter kits for the front vents. I had them on my 04 rev but wondering if guys are putting them on the xp's.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about pre-filters for the vents but I can't stand the intake filter on my '09. I think the 2010 has the same one. What I found worked best from this past weekend was to actually stuff the filter behind the little stop bar. What I plan on doing is getting some velcro to go all around the outside of the filter and then glue velcro the the box so it makes a better seal. Had lots of ice build up around the intake ports all weekend. But that was in 4 feet of powder all weekend!

Everyone has made good suggestions, but really, just ride the thing. Gas and Oil is what you need first. Avy training is certainly a must if you plan on riding in the mountains. Make sure not only you know how to use your gear but see if your riding buddies know how to use thiers too! No good knowing how to use yours if you are the one in trouble!

The 2010's got most of the bugs worked out of them, never heard any belt issues (make sure you have a spare though) Ride Safe!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey anybody looking to buy a new sled, it is a assualt 800 poo and the guy selling is Ryeser. I think he is on snowandmud. LOL

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe you need someone to ride it?:d:d:d i'll volunteer. just puttin the offer out ther. i like to help in anyway i can.:beer:

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much gents, looking forward to the mountains at the end of the month.

Top Bottom