2010 RMK 600 - electrical problem

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy bought this sled used last Spring and barely drove it. This Fall he drove it a bit and discovered that the coolant line into the bottom of the block had fallen off. So, put line back on and filled with coolant.

I took it for a drive yesterday of about 80 miles. It worked well the first 40, then the dashboard and grip heater quit for the next 30. Over the last 10 it would start OK for about 20 seconds, then headlights would dim drastically for a few minutes, then dashboard would quit for a few minutes, then motor would barely run past engagement (any extra throttle would cause it to miss/sputter) for a minute, and eventually the motor would just quit. Start it again and the cycle repeats.

We've done a few checks for bad connections and shorted wires, nothing suspect so far. He said he measured 12V AC across two pairs of feeds off the stator/magneto/alternator but nothing across the third pair.

Anyone have a thought?

GhostRider

Reaction score
i agree start with that.. we had 2011 pro RMK in the shop last week. the customer thought it was the stator.. but i tested the voltage regulator and found it was shot.. he took it to another dealer last year for a top end and they pinch his hand warmer wires. we think it grounded out enough for it to slowly take out he voltage regulator.. i could be wrong but thats what i think. hope this helps you out.. if you want i can take pics and send them to you on how to test the voltage reg. and stator if you want..

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ghost, that's a generous offer. I think there are enough people confirming that the voltage regulator is probably the problem that it isn't necessary. I'll update with what we attempt and how it goes.

wildman

Reaction score
i agree start with that.. we had 2011 pro RMK in the shop last week. the customer thought it was the stator.. but i tested the voltage regulator and found it was shot.. he took it to another dealer last year for a top end and they pinch his hand warmer wires. we think it grounded out enough for it to slowly take out he voltage regulator.. i could be wrong but thats what i think. hope this helps you out.. if you want i can take pics and send them to you on how to test the voltage reg. and stator if you want..
i
It wasn't the customer that thought it was the stator, it was the service manager where you work. the customer thought it was a problem with the handwarmers shorting out.turns out customer might have been right.lol. I was the customer.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that's why SnowandMud is the greatest.

Thanks all, buddy put a new voltage regulator on and it seems to be fixed.

Top Bottom