2010 m8 Helix Change

woodym7

Reaction score
:d:rolleyes:Ok so here it goes have way more info than experience........and already have my new Dalton Helix sitting in front of me......anyone wanna steer me in the right direction for the install?

Would be greatly appreciated as its the last mod left to do......doesnt even have a km on it yet lol, oh well im sure it will be worth it...

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d:rolleyes:Ok so here it goes have way more info than experience........and already have my new Dalton Helix sitting in front of me......anyone wanna steer me in the right direction for the install?

Would be greatly appreciated as its the last mod left to do......doesnt even have a km on it yet lol, oh well im sure it will be worth it...

I use some ready rod and flat bar to release the pressure of the spring you can do it by hand but this is way easier and much simpler for reassembly. I think A/C has updated the bolts that hold the helix but dont reuse the old ones. I have went to a Allen head screws that I do reuse with no problems just use a little blue loctite. The screws are 1" and1/4 long x 10/24 thread. The mod you are doing is addressing the weakest link of that sled IMHO and that isn't all that weak good luck.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. If you recall, what are the helix angles on a stock sled and what are you guys recommending?

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a 2010 m8 stock is a stright 36degree
i think with woody here we went to a 44/38 progressive cut or somesomthing along those lines...

kentz

Reaction score
Whats the benefit of running a 44/36? What should I use if all I ride is 5500 - 7000 feet in powder and I weigh 230 lbs? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

woodym7

Reaction score
Being honest dont really know call TT powersports in Bonnyville and ask for Mark, knows his sheet.......as far as what it does way, quicker upshifting is the bigest benefit, for boondocking etc....., i would seriously call him was recommended by many a person....

Last edited:

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the benefit of running a 44/36? What should I use if all I ride is 5500 - 7000 feet in powder and I weigh 230 lbs? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

it all depends on your sled, what you have done to it... what kinda riding you like to do wether you be a hill climber or a boondocker or a lake racer...
give us a call 780-826-6121...

woodym7

Reaction score
Ok Murray so then what exactly does that helix do ,since i just took Marks word for it since he was highly recommended,,,,am i right in saying quicker upshifting all the ridin buddies will be askin me and right now i sound pretty stupid at the moment

woodym7

Reaction score
So here s a few pics of the latest clutch update on the new 2010 m8, the new Dalton Helix is installed went to a progressive helix...and well see how it works......

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 396
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 397
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 386
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 386

woodym7

Reaction score
couple of notes dont attempt this without a press of some kind and as well, watch the rollers dont catch when compressing the clutch.....the little hex head bolts are blue locktited in so make sure to heat them up however dont melt your rollers........as well each side of the clutch has a diamond drive logo make sure these are lined up other than that pretty easy job..........i have to thank my dealer though for going in on their dayz off to make this happen for me, i think ill be building a press in the off season.

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok Murray so then what exactly does that helix do ,since i just took Marks word for it since he was highly recommended,,,,am i right in saying quicker upshifting all the ridin buddies will be askin me and right now i sound pretty stupid at the moment

The steeper initial angle will get you upshifting faster. Your sled will feel quicker and more responsive out of the hole and on the bottom end. As you upshift into the more shallow angle your backshifting will increase, and your sled will be able to hold peak RPM at WFO with the shallower finish angle. :beer:

mustard73

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread but I have another newbie question.

If you change the helix, do you need to change the spring too? Wouldn't putting in a helix with a steeper angle create more belt tension and make more heat if you don't change the spring?

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

just as shredder said stepper angle makes more pull out of the hole and alows for better backshift.

no spring change is nessesary unless you want differnet engagement and such. i run a straight black team spring in mine dropped engagement by about 400 rpm.. great for boondocking.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread but I have another newbie question.

If you change the helix, do you need to change the spring too? Wouldn't putting in a helix with a steeper angle create more belt tension and make more heat if you don't change the spring?

belt tension also known as deflection is easy to change by adding or removing shims in the secondary clutch.

CRF230LKEL

Reaction score
Cat uses ( or did, unless they recently changed) a soft plastic for the rollers in their clutches.
So while apart its a good idea to swap them for harder ones.
All of my M sleds had wear on the rollers with just 700 or 80 kms on them.

gartho

Reaction score
hey woody r u from kamloops,just wandering we rode with u into salmon last year untill one of our guys crashed :d

Top Bottom