2010 Can am Renegade xxc electrical issue?

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had some possible electrical issues with my 2010 can am renegade xxc right from the start.
It started with not always starting, having to turn the key back and forth from lights to full on a time or two before she'd fire up.
Then once on a rally, it wouldn't start and none of the electrical would turn off, even without the key in it. I just washed it good that time and it was fine. :confused:
Then this last time, after coming back from a nice wet ride, all I had to do was turn the key on and it would start on its own without pushing the green start button, then the next day would not start at all, just the check engine light comes on.

I've heard about the key being an issue but I've used die electric grease on the connections and made sure there was no water or dirt on that, as well, I've used grease on several other connections but no luck this last time getting it to start.

I contacted the dealer and was told that the BRP warranty doesn't always cover all the diagnostic fees so I'd like to figure it out myself if I could.

Any Ideas? :confused:

Last edited:

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what someone said from another site as well, think I'll try to find a phone number for BRP in the morning and give them a call about it. The next closest dealer to me is stogens in GP, a nice two hour drive each way.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what someone said from another site as well, think I'll try to find a phone number for BRP in the morning and give them a call about it. The next closest dealer to me is stogens in GP, a nice two hour drive each way.
Sometimes you just have to take the drive to get good service. It's a 3 hour drive one way for the Ski Doo dealer I choose to go to.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely bizzare I wash my outy 800 to an inch of its life and I have never had a problem. It sounds like something is definitely up with the DESS system. Like Dave said find another dealer cuz the one you have sucks. Hope you find the problem.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a second key? My 07 started acting up this spring...I switched keys to the new one (spare) that had never been used and it's been trouble-free all summer. (again)

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doyou have a second key? My 07 started acting up this spring...I switched keys tothe new one (spare) that had never been used and it's been trouble-free allsummer. (again)

I only have the one key, I've heard they're over $100 per key and have to bebrought to the dealer. I like the anti theft system they have but to be honest,that’s why I have insurance anyway; quads are easy to roll away.

I called BRP today, they did say that some wire connectors may not be covered,I got they feeling they didn't want to say too much until the dealer solved theproblem. They did tell me to make sure to tell the dealer to contact them forany "extra" charge that they said the dealer may not cover so theycan start a file on it and then they would investigate it. "We standbehind our dealers" I guess we'll see.

hedge

Reaction score
I believe they do need the bike to give you a new key. I thought my second key was $35 though but I got the key when I first picked it up.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, got backfrom the dealer here in Peace River, they hadall the plastic off and the two connections to the ecu were off. The mechanicshowed me some corrosion on both the connectors as well as the one to the ignitionswitch. He figures this is the problem but didn’t get around to cleaning it andtrying it out. He also said my ecu may be fried because of the water getting inbut wasn’t sure yet.

I asked if itwas covered under warranty and was told NO so I said leave it as it is and I’lltake it home and clean the three connections out myself. I then asked what mybill would be thus far and was told $270, as far as I could tell, it lookedlike about ½ hour at most to take the plastic off and the three connections.

I’m not topleased with BRP on this one, I know I’ve been going through some deep mud butnothing that would have submerged the ecu and even if it had, I’ve done a lot worseto the three Poo Poo’s and the Kawi I’ve owned, the renegade still has under 20hrs on it.

Anyone know agood and safe cleaner I can use on the connections?

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked it up from the dealer here, $270, got it home, cleaned the connections and hooked it back up. Still won't turn or fire but at least there is no warning lights or check engine light coming on. I went back to the dealer and asked the mechanic what I should try next, he tried to talk me into bringing it back, I told him I couldn't afford to keep putting money into something that should be covered by warranty. He then suggested I find a friend with a renegade I could swap parts with to figure out the problem, I figured it was time to leave before a fight broke out.Guess I'll have to take the 4 hour round trip to my next closest dealer.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a hold of Get Torqued in Edmonton ,not much them boys don`t know about canam`s. Or NBM on highlifter forums, he knows which coconnections to check/grease...............

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turns out the ECU is pooched, $1300, thank god for BEST warranty, it will be just the $50 deductable. Not sure why it failed, I did go through some good mud holes but at no time got anywhere deep enough to submurge the ECU. :confused:

Top Bottom