2008 XP issues, need help!

Side Show

Reaction score
I have a 2008 XP 800 with a speedo that doesnt work. I had a look at the the connections, and they seem good. Does anybody have any ideas? It is not an X, if that makes a difference.

Also, I pulled the sled out of storage to clean it up. I fired it up and it idled and ran fine. I did not make a note of the rpm at idle. After a couple days of clean up (late season hot pot malfunction), I fired it up again and its now idling at 1500rpm. Seems a little high to me. Any idea what would have caused this? The belt is set with the bottom of the ribs flush with the top of the secondary, and the sled now wants to creep ahead. Is this because of the high rpm at idle?

I used to be fairly competent working on my old S chassis summit, but don't know much about this thing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the speedo sensor is in the chaincase cover. perhaps open it up and give it a cleaning. if it still doesnt work try swapping covers with a buddy because the sensor is built in and just try it in the garage. havent heard of a speedo sensor failing but its a good place to start as its the easiest.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your y-pipe bolts, they are known for backing out over time. Last season mine was ideling around 13-1400 checked my bolts are sure enough they were loose, tightened them up and back to normal

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the 2008 skidoo 800 ptek service manual it says idle should be at 1900 rpm so your a little low if anything!

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sensor picks up 4 little magnets on that are in the black plug on the end of the driveshaft. If all the wiring ect is good make sure the magnets are still there when your checking your sensor. Its possible that one or more of them fell out or is badly covered in chit.

Side Show

Reaction score
In the 2008 skidoo 800 ptek service manual it says idle should be at 1900 rpm so your a little low if anything!

If this is true, then why would the sled want to creep ahead with the deflection adjusted properly?

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had similar issue on my 08. Replaced the speedo sensor on chaincase cover.

$26 or something like that

Thegeneral

x2 - easy fix, the sensor on the outside of the chaincase ( long black piece of plastic) is siliconed on. When you pry that off, make sure you clean the old silicone off really good and then I was told by the doo mechanics to use blue RV Silicon on then new one. Hasn't skipped a beat since.

Top Bottom