2008 duramax rear suspension issues

Chiebert

Reaction score
So when i was home last i put a sled deck on my truck and 3 days later my rear end started sagging (1 inch or so) and now it is rubbing. I would like some input as i dont want to order leafs and springs just for the hell of it cuz that will be $2000.

I have a cognito 7-9" lift with 5" blocks and an add a leaf in the back. Does anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot exactly what the issue is so i can fix it at the start of my days off instead of the end.

Most have said it wont be the shock because that wouldnt be causing the sag? But i am considering pulling it off and checking anyways. And beyond that im not sure how to check the leafs. They looked fine? But i read somewhere if u hammer on them while its lifted u can hear i theyre wrecked. Any opinions/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chiebert

Reaction score
It is only sagging on the drivers side also...

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it can only be springs? broke or just bad quality springs...... is with an empty deck or loaded with some yamys on it? time fore some custom Air bags! does it go back to normal if you remove the deck? is your deck made out of steel and weight a ton?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let it hang from the spring and hammer on the sides, broken springs will move and sound dead like thunk, cracked springs sound dead. Good springs sound like your hitting normal metal. When they crack near the center bolt sometimes you gotta pull the ubolts to actualy see anything move. Shocks will absolutly not cause a sag, they have nothing to do with ride hieght.

Chiebert

Reaction score
Yea i had no trouble with the deck at first. Its an aluminum deck on a 3/4 ton diesel. There should b zero sag from that. If my spring is no good i am gonna put 8" deavers or something similar on. If not i will b putting airbags on. Thanks guys. I will check my springs when i get home tuesday n try to find parts to get it fixed asap.

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5" block are are kinda big, that puts a lot of extra leverage on your springs so they will wear out faster especially with an engine like the duramax. ladder bars would help, or you could do 4" deavers and a shacklle flip from these guys for the other 4", air bags would really help with spring life and you could even get softer ones for a better unloaded ride, you may need a long travel bag with your lift kit, these guys make a 12" bag they're for a dodge but you can make them work on your truck.

Chiebert

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I heard
The blocks were bad and thats why i was considering gettin rid of them. I will look into this for sure. Ladder bars are definitely in the works already.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus put air bags in. Keep 10 lbs of air unloaded. Makes it ride so much better. And put more air in if u load it up

Last edited:

Chiebert

Reaction score
Yea but chits so $$$ if i wasnt in the middle of finishing my basement it wouldnt b such a big deal. A 3/4 ton shouldnt sag with only a few hundered pounds. But i am definitely wanting to get bags/ traction bars in the future

Last edited:

Chiebert

Reaction score
So it ended up being the bolt in the block broke. So i am getting two new blocks and a set of airbags in today! I was told against the long springs because they sag pretty quickly. Now i need to find somewhere / someone to go quadding with on the weekend before the weather turns bad.

Top Bottom