Reaction score
the one from cat is only $39.99
i did it on my 08 m8 sp made a noticable difference
worth the forty bucks...
easy to do

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also did the kit conversion on my m1000 its a great mod handling is alot better in my oppinion

What about on the trail in? Losing the outside wheels might make it a tad more unstable on the trail? Can anyone Clarify please as I am pondering this mod.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some guys say that it makes it easier to sidehill, which I have never experienced. Didn't make a difference IMO. I only have 2 wheels on my sleds now, but I keep them on the outside of the rails to prevent the rails from flexing. Seems like there is a lot more movement in the rails with the inboard 2 wheel kit, just my observation from seeing them.

crm1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about on the trail in? Losing the outside wheels might make it a tad more unstable on the trail? Can anyone Clarify please as I am pondering this mod.

its no different on the trail as for handling but when it comes to carving and sidehilling it does make a difference and im thinking this is the reason why all the newwer mountain sleds come stock with the 2 wheel conversion

crm1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some guys say that it makes it easier to sidehill, which I have never experienced. Didn't make a difference IMO. I only have 2 wheels on my sleds now, but I keep them on the outside of the rails to prevent the rails from flexing. Seems like there is a lot more movement in the rails with the inboard 2 wheel kit, just my observation from seeing them.

im interested in knowing how the rails flex because you are running 2 inboard wheels and not 2 outbourd i dont think that has any effect on your rails flexxing but im interested in knowing your theory behind this

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im interested in knowing how the rails flex because you are running 2 inboard wheels and not 2 outbourd i dont think that has any effect on your rails flexxing but im interested in knowing your theory behind this

This was just an observation, don't really have any scientific proof of it but my thought process was (from observations) the rails being pulled into the center with the two wheel kit seem to have some movement, where the wheels mounted outboard of the rails, sandwiching the rails between the axle and wheels, didn't seem to have as much (if any) movement. I don't know if its that the track has more mechanical advantage on the inboard wheel setup (more track area from the wheel to the track edge) as opposed to the outboard setup where there in only 2" of track sticking out past the wheels to the edge or if it was just the specific sled I was watching (maybe the guys axle was loose? or he had a setup with a bad fit). With the axle sticking out past the edges of the rails, there is more mechanical advantage to the axle to keep things aligned, not sure if this is the case or not. Not really intuitive info or theory for either way, this was just an observation.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was just an observation, don't really have any scientific proof of it but my thought process was (from observations) the rails being pulled into the center with the two wheel kit seem to have some movement, where the wheels mounted outboard of the rails, sandwiching the rails between the axle and wheels, didn't seem to have as much (if any) movement. I don't know if its that the track has more mechanical advantage on the inboard wheel setup (more track area from the wheel to the track edge) as opposed to the outboard setup where there in only 2" of track sticking out past the wheels to the edge or if it was just the specific sled I was watching (maybe the guys axle was loose? or he had a setup with a bad fit). With the axle sticking out past the edges of the rails, there is more mechanical advantage to the axle to keep things aligned, not sure if this is the case or not. Not really intuitive info or theory for either way, this was just an observation.

I have never believed two or four wheels will make a difference in handleing. On thing i do know is the more wheels the more power and the longer your skid will last. I bet in a year or two they will come with four wheels again from the dealer. They are in a weight battle and thats where they can shave some. If i had a new m8 i would ditch the freedom axil and go back to four wheels. If you break one and still have 3 its all good. if you break and loose one of your two your screwed. Theres test done on a track dyno that shows more power to the track but i cant remember where i saw this. Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom