1997 rmk 700 help

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's what went on the sled overheated due to coolant not circulating. The coolant was gargling and coming out the overflow bottle. It started up fine soon after and we bled the system down properly. So we started it up again and it sounded different but we took it for a ride and it definitely was circulating properly the coolant wasn't bubbling over and no weird gargling noise. However 10 mins later the motor shut down at WOT like it seized again. It started back up first pull but I decided I didn't want to blow it up any worse then whatever is going on now. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Or anyone experience this? Any help would be appreciated the sled is in absolutely mint condition and I would like to figure it out.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should check the water pump belt behind the starter recoil. If that is good might need a new thermostat.

csharko

Reaction score
Sounds like you seized it up, try doing a compression test, or look in the spark plug holes with a lite and see if there is scuffing on the cylinder walls.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you lean seized it. Pull the y pipe and look at the exhaust side of the pistons. You'll probably see some damage on them. Rotate the pistons down so you can see the tops of them too. Was this sled jetted for your elevation? They did not have any altitude compensation in 1997 so jetting is important.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you lean seized it. Pull the y pipe and look at the exhaust side of the pistons. You'll probably see some damage on them. Rotate the pistons down so you can see the tops of them too. Was this sled jetted for your elevation? They did not have any altitude compensation in 1997 so jetting is important.
Yes I believe it is I jetted it using the jetting chart that is printed on the hood so it should be close but yah it probably needs a new set of pistons I will compression test it in the am and pull y pipe

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possible o-ring on the head.I had one and had trouble with the o-ring 'head gaskets' might be getting some blow by.But like the other guys said start with the belt and have a look at the pistons.Maybe some nikisil is starting to flake off one of the jugs.

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is your belt behind the pull start assemblly. Looks like a sewing machine belt. Unfortuantlly you will likely have some piston and jug damage. Check Belt, Do compression test. Remove Y pipe and inspect. Unforuatlly I think you are about to have a bad day... speaking from experience....

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's more than likely the water pump belt. Unfortunately it also drives the oil pump so it's likely hurt from lack of oil as well.

rmk mod

Reaction score
It is the water pump belt and it does also drive your oil pump. If you drove it for 10 mins you most likely took out the crank. This happened to me and I even had to replace the cases.

Top Bottom