1000K mav turbo review !

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's time to do a quick update on how the mav turbo has worked out so far .

I wanted a reliable , fast , capable sxs that was fun and more of a sport machine . It needed to be mud capable , but that was not its primary objective...
My findings are based of of my prior experience with an AC wildcat & numerous rzrs , used as comparables....

I don't want to get into the area of ... Don't need a turbo, dune machine , to big etc etc... That is a whole other topic .

The machine is a 2015 turbo mav xds with lots of aftermarket goodies , some needed / some not . Stock running gear / motor / clutching other than a dalton kit for 30 inch aggressive tires & and a sport low bypass.

Here we go :
Power .....9/10 awesome , smooth reliable , no turbo lag and more than a trail machine ever needs...makes it lots of fun with 150'roosts at the step of a peddle.
0 issues with motor or clutching so far and despite what some people say (lol) the turbo works flawless in the mud !!! It's a beast...

Running gear: 9/10 again very happy ! Stock belt 1000k with o issues so far... Clutching is great and I use low 90% of the time (75 k in low range) so no shifting between ranges.. No diff / axle/trans or any other issues so far whatsoever. One torn boot/ my fault. Stock axles work great , and I don't baby it ....all wheel bearings , tie rods , ball joints are like new at 1000k. I did put on aftermarket tie rod shafts , when I bought it , stock Canam ones are junk.
This really impresses me as I think this is a major weakness on the Polaris sxs's.
Brake pads Loks like they will last for about 1800k +\~

Handling / suspension:8/10 : very good ! For a 64 inch wide machine it is very nimble , yet incredibly stable .... The turbo model is 5 inchs longer wheelbase which really helps the ride. Along with much better shocks and a better suspension setup, really makes the ride great & adjustable... I run at about 16 inchs of ground clearance and it works great . Don't get stuck much, but handles speed great too!
the stock springs have sagged more than I would like and the back end kicks up a bit more thanitshould I think. But it's themost capable fast trailable sxs I have ever driven ....not as good at speed as my old wildcat, but much more nimble with better vision....steering is bang on with 3 modes. Vision is great. Visco QE lock works well, but I prefer the Popo 4/4 system . But this is more reliable I think . It does take some time to get use to it ..... However.

Fit & Finnish 7/10...good . The stock mud flares both broke( trees) due to their location . The carbon fibre paint is peeling and of poor quality . Seats are fantastic , so are the ergonomics . The cab is crazy hot , not unbearable but too hot none the less.... Stock. I have done mods to restrict that heat.
A lot of noise in the cab , mid engine .... But not too bad.
Skid plates are a cheap poor design with a crazy seam in the middle , they are junk !
cage , frame and quality of finish wiring , fasteners etc are light years ahead of all the others....they are harder than a Popo to work on though! Lol

Reliability 10/10....nothing has broke !1000 k pinned with 30 inch tires .....what more can I say !

All in all very happy , great machine and a blast to ride !!
Very few issues ... I would highly recommend it , and the price will be very good with the release of the new X3.

hope this helps any one looking for insight on these machines !!
Cheers !

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160825/497389b9db2cc2b1eeb56907f57dfad9.
Coments or questions, fire away ....

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question #1

Have you encounter wild Kows, if so, do they like your unit ???

From kow puncher Don

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good review! What have you added from the aftermarket to address things you felt were sub par?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good review! What have you added from the aftermarket to address things you felt were sub par?
Tie rods , gusset kit ( safety) , header wrap, more insulation ( noise),,belt snorkel, is about it I think ...
The rest of the stuff I like but are not necessarily needed, depending on where / how you ride .

ohh and brakes are about 40% left .....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will check with JT, he knows all about lgbt flags and chit ......

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So harder to work on, but when u don't have to its a wash then is what your saying
No questions on were the refreshment cooler goes and how fast does the ice melt. Your slipping!! Or has a pm been sent?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a high return of fun without breakage type of machine. Nice to see

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh I expect breakage and stuff like that ... But I don't like wear items every couple of rides to have to be replaced ...
but yes so far so good , I guess ....

on on a side note , still very happy with the Itp cryptid tires ...!
Tremendous for smoothness , yet hold there own in the mud ... O flats or bead / sidewall issues so far .850 k of nasty terrain and they are wearing great . The backs are showing a little wear on the edges but being driven by a turbo Mav , they take a beating ...! So I am blown away how they have worked out ... Any SXS rider would love these ,you can go through mud & yet they don't shake your teeth out at 60 mph....
Fantastic tire !

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the big reasons I've been looking at SxS's is my back so if your mav is good and they say they improved them further (seating comfort etc) in the x3 i may end up getting one mostly for that reason alone.
Probably wait for a slightly used one though they seem pricey atm.

was one of the reasons i was liking the yamaha yxz1000r was everyone was saying its a super smooth ride.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The YXZ rides like crap unless you are doing 60 mph ...extremely stiffly sprung . It is by no means a slow smooth ride machine !

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great machine , but not at all a trail machine in any way ...

The 64" X3 is your answer ,20 inchs of travel is un heard of ! This thing wil be a beast in any terrain , especially the mud .. It's all about the articulation. Wheels all touching ground . Not to mention 154 hp...
watch where a wildcat goes ... They are similar. This is a much better version though..

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Addressing heat, you may find someone named Troy (based in Grimshaw),on the Maverick Forum (also on Commander forum.) He designed a nice insulated center wrap, should cut the heat down some, read good things about it. there is a couple of people that supply these, may be worth looking in to.
he's a member here as well. for some reason I think he quit making/selling them. I'm sure he'll comment here

Last edited:

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of Troys covers on my commander and it's awesome. Great fit and finish and very durable. Even on a hot day after being out for a couple hours you can rest your bare leg against the console without burning yourself like you would if it was on the plastic. Some noise reduction but really helps with heat.
He just spent a bunch of time and money developing one for a turbo Mav so I'd be surprised if he wasn't selling them any more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom