08 860R Popping Plugs

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are running rich my friend. Fuel is washing the carbon off piston. Should only have small areas about the size of your finger nail for wash. Areas will be along transfer ports.
One more thing is wash takes some time to happen so the comments about the plug checking is incorrect as that is the proper way to check. You have to cut the threads off and check lower on the plug.
Checking the wash is another good tool but if you are going to wait for that you may be burn down allready. If you are running rich as you are it is then a great way to correct.
I will try and find out a couple good reads on this and post.
Cheers

Not the best pics but the arrow to the left is the exhaust side on pics 2 and 3. The first one is of the wash on the intake side. Dont have a great side wash view but you can see the side and imagine how the wash goes. This is a pretty good burn IMO.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever do a leak down test on you build??? 600+ is the first i have heard of, sounds extremely high. more or less and leak somewhere and you are compensating with jet. could be wrong though. 580 is the biggest i have seen in a build.
We are running 580 560 now runs the same just a sliver less wash.This motor loves fuel doesn't seem to change alot.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew up my motor today. Still turns over, so I believe it is a crank bearing. Very rough when running. Bad vibrations. Anyone got a guess? Still has compression and runs, but you can feel vibrations in your feet and through the bars.

Sounds like mine before it blew. Mine lost a crank bearing waaaay in the back of Holt at Gorman Lake. I tried to ride it out and it out and lost everything, cylinders, pistons and case. I knew it was on it's way out and was big boring it anyway. Could have saved the case maybe, but only way woulda been a chopper ride. $400 bucks for a case, not sure what a chopper would have cost, but sure it would have been more. Could barely hold on to the handlebars before it grenaded. Sounds like a crank bearing to me.

Ekim

Reaction score
Could my problem be detonation? The vibration is not constant. It starts fine idles fine but vibrates on throttle. Should I start a new post for this? My BB has a bad vibration after 300kms of riding. Runs fine, but I can feel the vibration in my feet and through the bars.

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could my problem be detonation? The vibration is not constant. It starts fine idles fine but vibrates on throttle. Should I start a new post for this? My BB has a bad vibration after 300kms of riding. Runs fine, but I can feel the vibration in my feet and through the bars.

So did u blow it up or just have bad vibrations. If it was a crank bearing you will hear it, it will run like crap, and sudden engine stopage.

Vibration wise, mine has done it bad to. To the point it feels like I have been running. A weed wipe for hours straight. Hell I get s tingly feeling. It. Has done that for 5500kms, and still does it. Especially bad when your right on the edge.

Ekim

Reaction score
It was running when I towed it out. Was thinking tear down to inspect. It was running strong, just vibrating. Not sure what to do or what it is.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mabe try indexing Ur clutch on the crank. Makes a big difference

from my HTC

Ekim

Reaction score
Found my clutch was broken. Spring cap was broken. Slight damage to clutch, but what a relief. For future post, that is a cause of major vibration.

Ekim

Reaction score
Another update. Fixed spring cap and next ride out had a major vibration... again. Felt the same as before, so I thought I had broken my spring cap again, but it turns out the secondary helix bolts were backing out. For informations sake I wanted people to know this is also a major vibration that can happen. Easy fix and away we go again.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for my own (and maybe others') sanity, were you blowing the plugs out of the head or just fouling them? Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your tower that holds the secondary clutch and the bearing . If you run these very much it cracks and causes all kinds of problems.
Also watch the are that the shaft goes into clutch sheave as have seen them break right off after what has happened to you.

Had a buddy run his with bolts loose and bad vibration. Tighten bolts and next ride clutch broke off along with tower. Big bill as had to replace primary also due to damage from the secondary hitting it.

Another update. Fixed spring cap and next ride out had a major vibration... again. Felt the same as before, so I thought I had broken my spring cap again, but it turns out the secondary helix bolts were backing out. For informations sake I wanted people to know this is also a major vibration that can happen. Easy fix and away we go again.

Top Bottom