02 Summit 800 upgrades

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 2002 summit 800hm... Ive been riding this summit for 3 years now and feel i could use some more power. Im looking for the best bang for your buck upgrades and am curious what other people have done.

I can toss around the sled, but it definitley takes some work so im also thinking about removing the sway bars? ive read up in the forums and everone seems to say to get rid of em, just looking for some more opinions...

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled. It started out pretty much stock and the first thing I did was put a taller, narower, and shorter seat on it. The next thing I did was put CPI twins on it for a lil more juice. next I plan on a clutch kit, and billet head. As for the sway bars I cut mine off and its retarded how unstable it is. unless your a little guy keep em on.

here are some pics of my sled..

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same sled as you Chump.

Lots was done to the sled, but only some I would do again.

I installed V-force reeds (no noticeable differnce)
I installed a team secondary (better backshift.. a winner)
I installed a dynoport Pipe (could NOT tell a differnece)
I installed a Boss Seat (way lighter and taller.. a winner!)
I installed 8" rear wheels (no noticeable difference... )
I installed lightweight trailing arms (no noticeable difference... )
I did 8" riser and protaper bars (BIG differene in handling from the height... a winner!)
I installed an MBRP can (weight savings.)
I installed a BR tech thrasher hood (weight savings)
I installed 2004 hooded carbs (way better fuel economy and throttle responce).
I installed 153" Camo challenger track (way better hookup.. a winner! but i recommend a challenger extreme 2..5" if you can swing it)
I installed 3" 7tooth whal drivers (to accomodate the track).
I installed offset rear axel (to accomodate the slight increase in track length).
I removed the sway bar (way nicer in the powder.. a winner!)
I installed powder hound skis (nicer in powder.. a winner!)
I installed an XP throttle block and kill switch holder but kept the stock throttle and kill switch (way cleaner.. a winner!)

hope this helps a little.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22157_279963162176_721012176_498354.jpg

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cut out your sway bars forsure you will double your travel,a little shady on hard pack but big deal,boss seat saves a tonne of weight,lexan hood or mesh hood,big time weight savings,if ya cant afford one just ditch the headlight,jam a 151 x 16 " track in there and get a dj clutch kit,then it will be a rev killer...i got the same sled and they are good ol machines,mine has a few other goodies but still are fun.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Andre, It's gone to a new home. I know where a twin lives though.

forgot to mention, these old series III engines (non-HO 800's) can be vastly improved (like 7-10hp) with a "good" porting job. Apparently that's the main difference between them and the HO's (raised exhaust ports).

I took mine into Tom Motts and he informed me it was already done. It wasn't a very good job but at this point the remaining gains wouldn't be worth the $$ so I bought a used dynoport pipe. No gain noticed.

So, for $600, you can see noticeable gains with solid porting where you would not (in my experience) with a pipe and or reeds.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Andre, It's gone to a new home. I know where a twin lives though.

forgot to mention, these old series III engines (non-HO 800's) can be vastly improved (like 7-10hp) with a "good" porting job. Apparently that's the main difference between them and the HO's (raised exhaust ports).

I took mine into Tom Motts and he informed me it was already done. It wasn't a very good job but at this point the remaining gains wouldn't be worth the $$ so I bought a used dynoport pipe. No gain noticed.

So, for $600, you can see noticeable gains with solid porting where you would not (in my experience) with a pipe and or reeds.

do you have anymore pictures of your sled? its basicly what im trying to make mine :rolleyes:

rusty43

Reaction score
I have a mesh hood for sale, huge weight savings. PM me if interested.

I may be interested in your hood.. Do I need to change out my stock track to intall extovert drivers? I have a 15 x 151" now, and it doesn't have all the slider windows punched out. I have a reinforced tunnel at the front so I wouldn't be able to fit a 16" but would be interested in a 15.5" if available. It seems to me I lose a lot of power turning that track when it is set tight enough not to ratchet on the stock drivers. That and a big wheel kit would be a big change I think. thanks

02 summit 700

Reaction score
boss seat ( wait + more storge )
mbrp can ( wait frees up the flow sounds great and a little bit more power )
k&n air filters ( wait + beater flow )
sway bars ( wait )

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same sled as you Chump.

Lots was done to the sled, but only some I would do again.

I installed 2004 hooded carbs (way better fuel economy and throttle responce).

hope this helps a little.

What is the difference between the carb? Visually I can see the way the slides are attached is different. Did the change the way the fuel travels threw the main jet area? Or is it the different needles in the carbs with the smaller jets?

Sent from my Shoe Phone biotch...

Top Bottom