Lenght of sled hanging off the sled deck

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for the answer but can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

I have a friend that asked me if there was a certain length your sled could hang off the deck. He says he heard that the max it could hang off is 2 feet from the end of the deck.

Now i know that the limit of an object from the tailight is 4 feet approx, but was just wondering bout the limits of the sled from the end of the deck.

I have a marathon 7 foot shorty with a summit 154 hanging off the back.

thanks.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for the answer but can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

I have a friend that asked me if there was a certain length your sled could hang off the deck. He says he heard that the max it could hang off is 2 feet from the end of the deck.

Now i know that the limit of an object from the tailight is 4 feet approx, but was just wondering bout the limits of the sled from the end of the deck.

I have a marathon 7 foot shorty with a summit 154 hanging off the back.

thanks.
from the deck doesn't matter, it's from the tail lights or bumper where they will measure from. the limit of 4' refers to when you have to hang a flag or light on the back if you are over.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply that was exactly what i'm looking for.

Anybody have the traffic safety act to support this? If not i will take your word teeroy :d.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Re: Length of sled hanging off the sled deck

I've been asked this on many occasions. Most recently was at the Edmonton Sled Show. Someone posed the statement that in BC people are being pulled over with sled decks and long-track sleds...I stated that this was urban myth.

I was then faced with a person who had received such a ticket! Of course, my foot wasn't really in my mouth...as the issue has nothing to do with sled decks nor long-track sleds. The issue is with long loads of any type and any vehicle they are protruding from.

If you were carrying a 12' long 2x4 on your deck, or in the box of your truck, you would need a red flag on it! I worked at a rural lumberyard for years and we kept a roll of plastic red flags at the gate. Everyone who had a load sticking out the box of their truck or out the window of their car got a flag (picture a new Jaguar XJS with twenty 2-3" top fence posts sticking out the rear passenger side window--gotta love them hobby farmers).

Anyroad, here is a link to the Vehicle Equipment Regulation section of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, and the corresponding section:

Division 2, Section 16:
Overhanging load
16(1) During night time, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a lit red lamp on the back of the load.
(2) During day time, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a red or orange flag that is not less than 300 millimetres square on the back of the load.

CanLII - Vehicle Equipment Regulation, Alta. Reg. 322/2002

Here is the corresponding legislation in BC, which states 1.2m:
Division 4 Section 4.20
Lamps or flags on front and rear projections
4.20 (1) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1 m beyond the front wheels or the front bumper of the vehicle unless,

(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is illuminatedwith a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light visible from the front and sides of the vehicle, and

(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05 (c) of the Commercial Transport Regulations and which is visible from the front and sides of the vehicle is attached to the extreme tip of the projection.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1.2 m to the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle unless,

(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is lighted with a lamp that is capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 150 m to the rear of the vehicle, and

(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05 (c) of the Commercial Transport Regulations and which is visible to the driver of a vehicle to the rear is attached to the extreme tip of the projection.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I've been asked this on many occasions. Most recently was at the Edmonton Sled Show. Someone posed the statement that in BC people are being pulled over with sled decks and long-track sleds...I stated that this was urban myth.

I was then faced with a person who had received such a ticket! Of course, my foot wasn't really in my mouth...as the issue has nothing to do with sled decks nor long-track sleds. The issue is with long loads of any type and any vehicle they are protruding from.

If you were carrying a 12' long 2x4 on your deck, or in the box of your truck, you would need a red flag on it! I worked at a rural lumberyard for years and we kept a roll of plastic red flags at the gate. Everyone who had a load sticking out the box of their truck or out the window of their car got a flag (picture a new Jaguar XJS with twenty 2-3" top fence posts sticking out the rear passenger side window--gotta love them hobby farmers).

Anyroad, here is a link to the Vehicle Equipment Regulation section of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, and the corresponding section:

Division 2, Section 16:
Overhanging load
16(1) During night time, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a lit red lamp on the back of the load.
(2) During day time, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a red or orange flag that is not less than 300 millimetres square on the back of the load.

CanLII - Vehicle Equipment Regulation, Alta. Reg. 322/2002

Here is the corresponding legislation in BC, which states 1.2m:
Division 4 Section 4.20
Lamps or flags on front and rear projections
4.20 (1) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1 m beyond the front wheels or the front bumper of the vehicle unless,

(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is illuminatedwith a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light visible from the front and sides of the vehicle, and

(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05 (c) of the Commercial Transport Regulations and which is visible from the front and sides of the vehicle is attached to the extreme tip of the projection.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1.2 m to the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle unless,

(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is lighted with a lamp that is capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 150 m to the rear of the vehicle, and

(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05 (c) of the Commercial Transport Regulations and which is visible to the driver of a vehicle to the rear is attached to the extreme tip of the projection.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Ok here is part of the leglislation that I'm having issues with,
2) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1.2 m to the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle unless,

we all know that people have been have been fined for excessive length this is a fact!
Ok here is where I'm not following this so someone help me with this, the load deck being your sleddeck (remember the law only states the loaddeck OR the rear of the vehicle (tailgate down), it only mentiones the front bumper on protrusions the go beyond the front bumper, not the rear), with a extension (8ft) or without (6-7 ft) depending on the deck builder . If you allowed 1.2 metres or 3.93FT past your load deck for example a short bed truck with a 8 ft sled deck you should be able to haul a 163 sled if your deck has lights at the rear of the deck, It should not matter (in my mind anyway) that if you have a engineered sled deck mounted in the box with the proper lighting on the deck.
I guess i'm looking for some clarifaction an the instances that fines were issued, and maybe a redneck way of a explanation of this law so I can understand it better.
THX

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score

The Alberta regulations state:
"a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more" and makes no mention of a "load deck." Therefore, I would assume that in Alberta the constabulary will measure from either the bumper or the tail light.

In BC, you are correct in identifying "the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle", however when does a sled deck cease being an accessory and become an integral part of the vehicle, such as a load deck? Also, it states “load deck or body”—who gets to choose which? You say load deck, officer says body, who wins? Since the BC regulation is a little vague, I would be wary of any interpretation as the officer and corresponding crown prosecutor will argue that the measurement starts at the end of the vehicle—unless you can find some precedent that states otherwise. You may have a good argument regarding the sled deck being a load deck, and a traffic lawyer would likely be able to do a better job of making that argument than you; however my limited accounting skill tell me that a 30cm x 30cm red flag is cheaper than either a ticket or a lawyer to fight it.

I would also be wary of considering the end of a tailgate to be the rear of the vehicle.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, however nothing is clear when law is concerned. The upshot is that if you get a ticket go down to the traffic division of the law courts, speak to a JP, and have the $ or PTS dropped (they usually give you a choice if you make even a meagre argument, as it saves court time).

2) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1.2 m to the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle unless,

we all know that people have been have been fined for excessive length this is a fact!
Ok here is where I'm not following this so someone help me with this, the load deck being your sleddeck (remember the law only states the loaddeck OR the rear of the vehicle (tailgate down), it only mentiones the front bumper on protrusions the go beyond the front bumper, not the rear), with a extension (8ft) or without (6-7 ft) depending on the deck builder . If you allowed 1.2 metres or 3.93FT past your load deck for example a short bed truck with a 8 ft sled deck you should be able to haul a 163 sled if your deck has lights at the rear of the deck, It should not matter (in my mind anyway) that if you have a engineered sled deck mounted in the box with the proper lighting on the deck.
I guess i'm looking for some clarifaction an the instances that fines were issued, and maybe a redneck way of a explanation of this law so I can understand it better.
THX

GRD

Reaction score

Caper...The thread that Teeroy posted a link to has a lot of good info. From my understanding and what I have been told by RCMP and other City Police is the overhang is from the back of your tail lights. Not the load past your deck. Most decks do not have the required certified lights (marker lights don't cut it). To be safe and avoid a ticket go from your tail lights.

I have attached a picture of the set-up I have. I have certified lights on the deck extension. Had an RCMP member check it out and said I am good to go.

IMG_0425.jpg

THX

there's a huge thread here on the subject, with the traffic safety act posted within.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/allowable-overhang-sled-sled-deck-bc-29671.html

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Caper...The thread that Teeroy posted a link to has a lot of good info. From my understanding and what I have been told by RCMP and other City Police is the overhang is from the back of your tail lights. Not the load past your deck. Most decks do not have the required certified lights (marker lights don't cut it). To be safe and avoid a ticket go from your tail lights.

I have attached a picture of the set-up I have. I have certified lights on the deck extension. Had an RCMP member check it out and said I am good to go.

View attachment 72578

If they did give you grief with this setup, all you would have to do is remove the lights from the extension, and strap them to the sleds. I have rigged up a few light kits for our extensions...so far so good.

Reactions: GRD

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it is open to interputation, but integral means "a part of" and if the deck is mounted securely to the truck would the deck be apart of the truck. But it's not what I think, it what the person writing the ticket thinks.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If they did give you grief with this setup, all you would have to do is remove the lights from the extension, and strap them to the sleds. I have rigged up a few light kits for our extensions...so far so good.
do you have any pics if this light kit?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

do you have any pics if this light kit?

No, I can't find any. If I have time tomorrow, I will build another kit or 2, I should have some in stock anyway.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take some pics of the unit I juat fabed up, had flag and lights, and plugs into the trailer plug.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the Light I fabbed up for my sled can be mounted on the track or the rear bumper. When it's mounted on the track it's almost in line with the back bumper. This light is battery powered and has reflecters in it, it also says it DOT approved on the back of the case.

Attachments

• 100_1212.jpg
    100_1212.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 551
  • 100_1213.jpg
    100_1213.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 537
  • 100_1214.jpg
    100_1214.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 531

tmurphy

Reaction score
Here is the Light I fabbed up for my sled can be mounted on the track or the rear bumper. When it's mounted on the track it's almost in line with the back bumper. This light is battery powered and has reflecters in it, it also says it DOT approved on the back of the case.

Where did you get the lights?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea. Splice a quick connect end into the wiring of the tail light on the sled, and plug it into your trailer wiring plug on the pickup... Could even have breaklights to..... Ha ha or just eliminate the hassle and go with the battery powered ones!

Top Bottom