Coating for ATV's

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to apply a coating to the fender and other external parts to help with less effort to wash the ATV. I heard from people that there is a spray on silicone to prevent the mud from sticking onto the plastic parts. Then some people use lemon Pledge to also buff out scratches and help with less scrubing during washing. The latest story I heard was that some people spray PAM on the insdie or their fenders to prevent the mud from sticking. Has anyone tried these coatings ? What has worked ( what has not worked ) ?

Cheers
:d

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't done anything like these yet. The mud always seem to come off easily for me with just spraying water at it. I'm kind of interested in hearing if anyone else has done these though.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't done anything like these yet. The mud always seem to come off easily for me with just spraying water at it. I'm kind of interested in hearing if anyone else has done these though.

When my quad was new - the mud came off fairly easy. Now that there is some fine scratches and haze on the plastic parts - the mud holds on a bit harder. This also seems to be the case on enamal painted metal parts. I see that high pressure washing blasts off dirt but it also blasts off decals and paint and injects water in other places ( bushings , bearings , seals, wiring harnesses etc) that water should not be in. Also at 1500-3000 psi pressure washer - the soft plastic tends to dull up as well. So I am trying the low pressure water approach ( sometimes a pail and a rag and brush ) to get the majority of the mud off. Muskeg comes off easy but some sandy clay sets up like cement in the corners of the machine and I was just curious if there is some thing that helps. The auto industry has finishes ( like wax etc) for paint to help keep the cars clean but the black fender trim on a Honda that is porus ( rough ) - wax looks terrible with a white haze looking result. I look at all the other quad that are 4 -5 years old and they all look the same for wear and tear on the plastic parts.

Cheers :beer:

Last edited:

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a product out there called PB2 that works very well. You can get it at RAYNARD SUPPLY in Calgary. (403) 287-0082 It works like armorall but dryes like wax. Mainly used by detailing shops for interiors. I have been using on my 3 quads for years and the mud just falls off.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the black, porus plastic i used armoral ultra shine. (only because its way to greasy in the vehicle and need to use it up) actually i use it on the entire machine except seat and it looks nice and shiny. however it does attract dust. not sure if it helps in the washing area. i just use hotsy soap and pressure washer.

GWNBrute

Reaction score
I've heard PAM works great but you have to condition your plastic to it, In that I mean use it alot and the plastic seems to almost soak it in. I know in GNCC racing racers put foam in their open spots around frame and around the motor to collect the mud then after the race they just pull it out and it takes most of the mud with it.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the black, porus plastic i used armoral ultra shine. (only because its way to greasy in the vehicle and need to use it up) actually i use it on the entire machine except seat and it looks nice and shiny. however it does attract dust. not sure if it helps in the washing area. i just use hotsy soap and pressure washer.

For the black plastic on my atv, I used tire shine (make sure you let it sit for a few days as it may be a bit slippery) to bring back the blackness. It was getting grey because I couldn't get the dirt off of that, the rest of the atv was no problem for mud. Now they are nice and black again, looking new:cool:

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started using the FUKEN wax seems to work good so far works well inside the fenders as well

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this has nothing to do with this thread but i use armoral tire shine on my black floor mats in my truck every week to make them nice and shiny!

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to apply a coating to the fender and other external parts to help with less effort to wash the ATV. I heard from people that there is a spray on silicone to prevent the mud from sticking onto the plastic parts. Then some people use lemon Pledge to also buff out scratches and help with less scrubing during washing. The latest story I heard was that some people spray PAM on the insdie or their fenders to prevent the mud from sticking. Has anyone tried these coatings ? What has worked ( what has not worked ) ?

Cheers
:d

Both my boys race quads and they use any type of cooking spray (enviromently friendly), when that runs out we use WD-40 or similar. Helps the mud wash off much easier:d

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a product called SC20,its like a new quad in a can,comes out lookin great and the mud falls off nice,its about $10 a can but lasts along time,My quad is black and it comes out nice and shinny and hard to see the scratches,just spray on and wipe off,works on all surfaces.I love the stuff

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Muds not the problem for me. Problem is snow build up. Any new ideas?

Attachments

• IMGA0007.JPG
    IMGA0007.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGA0009.JPG
    IMGA0009.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P2160005.jpg
    P2160005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 26

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I re-finished my fenders this week. First I wet sanded all the fenders with 600 grit, then I sanded with 1500 grit. I then sprayed fenders with clear coat lacquer. then if I had any blemishes I wet sanded them out and sprayed with the clear lacquer again. After the finish is smooth and shiney I give it a couple coats of Mothers wax.
The clear lacquer is quite tough and gives a show room finish!!

Last edited:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a product called SC20,its like a new quad in a can,comes out lookin great and the mud falls off nice,its about $10 a can but lasts along time,My quad is black and it comes out nice and shinny and hard to see the scratches,just spray on and wipe off,works on all surfaces.I love the stuff

I tried to Google SC20 and I can't find hits. Where did you find this stuff ?

Thanks

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Armorall Extra Slimey, eer I meen Extra Shiney. Works awesome, dont get on anything you want to actually want to hold on to!

Top Bottom