Nasty reminder of how dangerous bikes can be

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all you bike riders out there you have to check out this site. Live to Ride - Ride to DIE (scroll through the bull sh!t at the top of the site) it is a real reminder of how vulnerable we are when riding. Warning some of the photos are nasty. Maybe some of those people who talk on cell phones while driving vehicles should take a look at this as well. I have had so many close calls already and this sent shivers through me. Still don't agree with the loud pipe comments on there though, I am keeping mine loud!

kimwin

Reaction score
WOW !! i sure don't miss my GSXR 750, i think i like the thought of the hubby and i staying in the mud !!

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if this thread is about being careful...i figure louder the pipe the more people look around to see what makin that raquet...but at least they SEE me!

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted a bike, but after seeing some of those pics I have way to much at home to lose. I think I will stay with the qauds and sleds for my entertainment:eek:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to try and paint everyone who rides a crotch rocket with the same paint brush but for alot of them it seems like the "stupid switch" is flipped once the sit on the seat. A good example is the 2 idiots just recently in Edmonton on 178st and 96 ave zipping in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed this week. Hope it was the driver that died on scene.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was posted in the above link....just like everything theres loud enough to be heard and then theres stupid loud....

Loud Pipes Save Lives
Are you kidding? Do we need to cover this again?
- The vast majority of bike accidents are from the front. To have any chance of alerting those motorists to the presence of a motorcycle with exhaust noise would require that the tailpipe be pointed forward. LOL. The chances of rearward-facing straight pipes making a bike more obvious are very slim. The reality of the loud pipe is that all you'll succeed in doing is irritating all the people behind and beside you who don't pose much of a threat anyway.
- You are pissing off everyone around you. So who cares if you gun the throttle past an open driver's-side window and scare the hell out of the occupants? At least they see you, right? Maybe, but take a look at what happened to personal watercraft in Minnesota. Take a look at what happened in Yellowstone. Put it another way: how much do you appreciate the "music" blaring from other people's cars: the throbbing car stereo that shakes the very ground with some indistinguishable bass crap? How interested in someone else's music are you? Perhaps nobody else wants to listen to it. Perhaps they don't like the sound. Maybe they're trying to concentrate, or talk, or watch TV, or sleep. Maybe their kids are trying to sleep.
- Loud exhaust pipes are illegal. Even HD has finally stopped installing them.

and .... loud exhaust pipes actually REDUCE the performance of the bike in most cases, due to the reduction of back-pressure needed by tuned engines.

If you are really concerned about saving lives, a $20.00 reflective safety vest will save your biscuit a thousand times before that loud pipe will.

How many people wear full gear when they ride or is half a helment jeans and a t-shirt good enough.....

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that’s some gruesome Sh$%.....

I like the guy’s slogan…..

IF YOU CHOOSE TO RIDE, REMEMBER: ATGATT- ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME
DRESS FOR THE FALL, NOT FOR THE RIDE !

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of these are probably caused by speed and not enough experiance. i think my uncle said it best to my cousin when he got his bike, a suped up hyabusa, he said throw your riding suit at the wall at 100 mph and you can pick it up and all the wrinkles come out. now throw yourself at the wall at the same speed ...............enough said.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Most of the time it's the stupid gene showing it's face again. I miss my bike and would love another one. Never had a problem because I rode defensively! If you get a bike spend some money and take the safety course. :beer::d

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the time it's the stupid gene showing it's face again. I miss my bike and would love another one. Never had a problem because I rode defensively! If you get a bike spend some money and take the safety course. :beer::d

I agree the bike safety course is excellent. Gets you thinking about lane position for various riding conditions and how to ride out a crash if by chance you do lay it down and a whole lot more. Don't cheap out on the gear either as you can see from the pictures. It was funny because when I got to the last check stop on the s&m derby Tyler asked me where my glovers where (my hands were covered in mud and skeg) I told him that ch!t I never wear gloves but you know it could happen just as easy on a quad too (right Sled ?? especially when you pull a Rockford turn in reverse with the reverse over ride pressed :nono:) I know he just did it to sleep in a soft warm hospital bed that night instead of the tent :)

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speed kills !!
if you follow the speed limit.. "Its there for a reason folks !"
and ride defensively you can enjoy a lot of years of riding
just because your bike can go 240MPH does not mean you need to
do it in a school zone.
buy the expensive leathers and take it to the track !
follow the speed limit on the road and look both ways for stupid drivers
and you will make it home.
A riding and defensive driving course is a GREAT idea.
you can buy a bike with the same ability as a Ferrari for $10,000.00
does not mean you are Mario Andretti ... I think not..
common sense and maturity goes a long ways...

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you crash on the track you are sliding on the grass and there are qualified people there to help you if needed...
If you crash on the street, you are running into light poles, curbs and cars.
You would be suprised what kind of damage and how far in the air a curb can throw you..
The unfortunate part is that the inexperienced people are getting hurt because of stupidity !

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today for instance...
driving through a construction zone as I do everyday (highway 16A and Anthony Henday) today doing 60K
its a construction zone folks ! "double fine" I guess they don't care
and people are flying by me in their vehicles at over 90K"

OH IT MAKES ME MAD !!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last night I was riding the bike back into the city...Anthony Henday between hwy 14 and 16.....I had moved into the left lane anticipating the traffic that was merging onto the hwy ......I'm traveling at 120 kph...first a pick up passes me and within 15 seconds two idiots on crotch rockets serve passed me and then around the truck I guessed the truck at about 140 so the bikes were at least 160....the second bike the guy was wearing a leather coat shorts and runners...

I usually try to ride at the speed limit or at least where the bulk of traffic is running thats how I crept up to the 120 mark....

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm full gear everytime i ride...It's the guys out there that jump on a crotch rocket with a muscle shirt, short and sandals, what the hell are you thinking (or not thinking i guess is the point)..then they've got their old lady on the back with a mini skirt,tube top and flip flops and pass me like i'm standing still.

It only takes one pebble on the road at that speed to drift that front tire and your into a speed wobble with the extra weight of your girlfriend which your wearing as a backpack on those bikes its pretty hard to come out if without going down.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mind people who ride street bikes as long as they are responible. 2 guys yesterday in town on street bikes were behind us and wheelieing all we had to do was hit the brakes and "thump" 2 street bikers in our tailgate.

gryphon2005

Reaction score
Website
gryphonsminichoppers.com
we sell stickers for bike helmets.....including.......

"Guns don't kill people.....Drivers with cell phones do"

"LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES"

"Honk if you have never seen a loaded gun fired from a Harley"

"If you can read this.....BACK OFF"

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mind people who ride street bikes as long as they are responible. 2 guys yesterday in town on street bikes were behind us and wheelieing all we had to do was hit the brakes and "thump" 2 street bikers in our tailgate.

They say possession is 9/10ths of the law..
that's an easy way to pick up a couple of new bikes !

its these dare devil's that are giving the rest of us a bad rap.

Top Bottom