Elkford 2011/2012

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know the town got pounded pretty hard last week with snow. Just wondering if anyone has been there yet?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well fernie should know, all he needs to do is stick his head out the window. may still be early, but give him a shout.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'll get something put together today......first time up top was yesterday. Even the etec got quite stuck but the shrimp were great (the new cooker can, the Thing, got a little hot on the way up so it appears that cooking times will be less this year). The snow is looking great and very consistent through the snow pack.

IMG_0579.jpg IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why is there all that snow packed around your can like that? Maybe need cooking bags vs the paper..might work better.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
why is there all that snow packed around your can like that? Maybe need cooking bags vs the paper..might work better.

One little hole at the top of the panel and maybe the vent material has to be changed to a fine.

I won't cook in plastic, period! The Lord only lets us live soo long, and I don't need any more contaminants too speed the process.

I have burnt the paper before but not nearly this bad and not nearly as fast. It was a good climb to get up top with 42" of heavy snow. 7900 rpm in a lot of places and the etec ran great.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like you did find the bottom though Doug. Shrimp looks......................................spectacular!!!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I know the town got pounded pretty hard last week with snow. Just wondering if anyone has been there yet?

with 3 days of rain in town it is ugly. The good ol' valley bottom problems again, eh! Up top on the west side it is great! But there is a huge difference from one side of the valley to the other and into the Bull it changes again.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had some problems with the pot on my 1000 a couple years ago before I had a custom mount for the pot made...she was too hot like yours..if I wrapped my food as usual and then wrappped that in tin foil it seemed to give another barrier to keep the burning heat out...a partial solution. I was thinking of buying one of those cooker cans for our proclimbs...they were still testing...what do you think of the sled shed can?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I had some problems with the pot on my 1000 a couple years ago before I had a custom mount for the pot made...she was too hot like yours..if I wrapped my food as usual and then wrappped that in tin foil it seemed to give another barrier to keep the burning heat out...a partial solution. I was thinking of buying one of those cooker cans for our proclimbs...they were still testing...what do you think of the sled shed can?

Just 1 ride Dobir. The only thing I know for sure is that it gets hot! Looks like I just have to put the pot in 20 minutes before lunch time and go for a couple of pulls.

Still in break-in mode so time will tell what it is really like. I'll let you know.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
46" of well consolidated snow. None of the basin have been opened up yet but we have been above Mear Lake. The nugget field is a nugget field!

The Crossing Creek trail is groomed most of the way to the Bull. Still trees down and across the trail but the Bull is accessible.

devildogg

Reaction score
Just depends on the Mother.......

Mother Nature that is!!!!

Next snowfall is going to reek havoc above tree line, high sustained winds have made a dandy wind crust, my partner released a nice slab yesterday even though he was in an area of high potential but low risk it still woke him up a bit. Anywhere above treeline has very little coverage and is well crusted over. Below treeline was super, though we did try to carve up as much as humanly possible before anyone one else got there :d
wind blown
DSCF0909.jpg

Silly cat trying to follow a doo
DSCF0911.jpg

OOPS

DSCF0915.jpg

Last edited:

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next snowfall is going to reek havoc above tree line, high sustained winds have made a dandy wind crust, my partner released a nice slab yesterday even though he was in an area of high potential but low risk it still woke him up a bit. Anywhere above treeline has very little coverage and is well crusted over. Below treeline was super, though we did try to carve up as much as humanly possible before anyone one else got there :d
wind blown
DSCF0909.jpg

Silly cat trying to follow a doo
DSCF0911.jpg

OOPS

DSCF0915.jpg
Thanks for the pics!
Where abouts was this?

handybus

Reaction score
as fernie snow calls it cowboy basin.... cant wait to get back there once their is enough snow....

devildogg

Reaction score
Yes Cowboy basin, but the name Mears lake is steeped in tradition and for good reason so Mears Lake is what it is. Historically we have called the basins and the flats Mears Lake. I will try and straighten FS out but he is old and stubborn unlike his younger more agreeable riding partner :p

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes Cowboy basin, but the name Mears lake is steeped in tradition and for good reason so Mears Lake is what it is. Historically we have called the basins and the flats Mears Lake. I will try and straighten FS out but he is old and stubborn unlike his younger more agreeable riding partner :p

Not to take away from the steeped history and the reason for the name of Mear's Lake but there is a large area above Mear Lake and some are getting little subdivision names (ie Cowboy Basin)!

Cowboy basini.jpg

Top Bottom