Number of registered ORV's in Strathcona County

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a pissing match with Strathcona County which of course includes Sherwood Park. Anyone know how many registered sleds and ATV's in Strathcona County or at least where I would go to find those numbers?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
In a pissing match with Strathcona County which of course includes Sherwood Park. Anyone know how many registered sleds and ATV's in Strathcona County or at least where I would go to find those numbers?

I would think you'd have to contact a registries branch.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Department of transport?? Registries?? What's the pissin' match about?? Jus' askin'

Strathcona County just bought two quarters east of the Strathcona Wilderness Centre and they are going to spend a bunch of taxpayers' money constructing equestrian and interpretive trails throughout the property but nothing for sleds or ATV's. Went to a Trails Master Plan meeting a short time back and the only members of the public at that meeting asking for trails were the sled and ATV people (mostly for linkages). The equestrian, cross country ski and cycling people generally said they had enough trails what with Blackfoot, Elk Island and the Strathcona Wilderness Centre so Strathcona is now going to build more trails for people who do not need them and none for those who do need them because I assume sledding is not politically correct. I know there are lots of people in Strathcona County with sleds and quads and it is time staff and council start to represent those peoples interests just need to know how many people that is.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Too bad we can't get a plebiscite on this issue and get a vote going, instead of just some councillors who think they know what the rest of the county needs!!!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The damn city of edmonton did the same thing with some of the trails in the rivervalley, I was invloved with a bunch of mountain bikers years ago that cut alot of the single track trails and they have now turned them into walking only trails, cant even ride a bike on them anymore. :mad:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Strathcona County just bought two quarters east of the Strathcona Wilderness Centre and they are going to spend a bunch of taxpayers' money constructing equestrian and interpretive trails throughout the property but nothing for sleds or ATV's. Went to a Trails Master Plan meeting a short time back and the only members of the public at that meeting asking for trails were the sled and ATV people (mostly for linkages). The equestrian, cross country ski and cycling people generally said they had enough trails what with Blackfoot, Elk Island and the Strathcona Wilderness Centre so Strathcona is now going to build more trails for people who do not need them and none for those who do need them because I assume sledding is not politically correct. I know there are lots of people in Strathcona County with sleds and quads and it is time staff and council start to represent those peoples interests just need to know how many people that is.

I was also at one of those meetings. I had horse people there also. They were interested in trails if built for them.
This land was purchased by the county so they can join the wilderness centre to Blackfoot. NON MOTORIZED USE ONLY. What were you and the hundreds of other motorized users expecting??? This land is also some kind of land for protection use only.
County trails to accept motorized use is still ongoing and is still on the go. Will the council accept motorized as a approved trail use? That is a $100.00 question.
I feel your pain. I also have lived here for 50 yrs and it is hard to keep going to these meetings with some hope. If we dont play the game we WILL be left off the table. I was involved in that MASTER TRAIL PLAN and it was crap then and it still is. All I can say is talk to your councillors and politely state your concerns and future interest in seeing snowmobiles included in trails use in the county.
Freeking out is easy but wont get us trails here.

Time will tell my fellow sledder

Last edited:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
strathcona county just bought two quarters east of the strathcona wilderness centre and they are going to spend a bunch of taxpayers' money constructing equestrian and interpretive trails throughout the property but nothing for sleds or atv's. Went to a trails master plan meeting a short time back and the only members of the public at that meeting asking for trails were the sled and atv people (mostly for linkages). The equestrian, cross country ski and cycling people generally said they had enough trails what with blackfoot, elk island and the strathcona wilderness centre so strathcona is now going to build more trails for people who do not need them and none for those who do need them because i assume sledding is not politically correct. I know there are lots of people in strathcona county with sleds and quads and it is time staff and council start to represent those peoples interests just need to know how many people that is.

speak it brother maxwell!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I was also at one of those meetings. I had horse people there also. They were interested in trails if built for them.
This land was purchased by the county so they can join the wilderness centre to Blackfoot. NON MOTORIZED USE ONLY. What were you and the hundreds of other motorized users expecting??? This land is also some kind of land for protection use only.
County trails to accept motorized use is still ongoing and is still on the go. Will the council accept motorized as a approved trail use? That is a $100.00 question.
I feel your pain. I also have lived here for 50 yrs and it is hard to keep going to these meetings with some hope. If we dont play the game we WILL be left off the table. I was involved in that MASTER TRAIL PLAN and it was crap then and it still is. All I can say is talk to your councillors and politely state your concerns and future interest in seeing snowmobiles included in trails use in the county.
Freeking out is easy but wont get us trails here.

Time will tell my fellow sledder

I think the question is Glen why can the county spend taxpayers money for horse people but sweet F'all on sledders and quadders....

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think we all need to gather at the county hall and start throwin rocks... seems to work in egypt

BeeZee62

Reaction score
Perhaps another approach would be to demonstrate to the Council how much revenue could be brought to the county by allowing ATVs/sleds access to their own trails. Proper trail management in conjunction with all the stake holders such as those who appear to presently have the monopoly on what's going on would be required. If properly planned and managed, the trails could be designed so that they're not in close proximity to each other (ie, scaring horses).

I doubt that the equine riders bring the amount of money to an area that OHVs could. There should be enough information online from other areas, particularly Ontario and Quebec where the trail systems there have become a billion dollar a year industry.

Food for thought.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt that the equine riders bring the amount of money to an area that OHVs could.

One should gather facts before making statments.....we race and ride quads, bike's and snowmobiles but also have horses and have been competing on horse back of a number of years.

I do agree that we need more trails in the county for sleds and bikes. But the county of strathcona has more horses per capita then any other area in Canada...Vets, Ferriers, trainers, feed, clinic's, horse events, trailer sales, truck sales, well lets just say there is millions of dollars spent each and every year in the county of strathcona re the horse world.

Another sign for sure is that the county is trying to change the tax structure for arena's and horse operations stating they shoudn't be classed under agriculture/farm's, but as commercial...come walk around a arena or barn, step on a horse cookie. To me if it looks and smells like a farm, it's a farm....

BeeZee62

Reaction score
One should gather facts before making statments.....we race and ride quads, bike's and snowmobiles but also have horses and have been competing on horse back of a number of years.

I wasn't making a derogatory comment against the equine industry but rather was merely pointing out that OHV users need to unite in an organized manner in order to have their collective voice heard. There are a lot of people on this site griping about this or that and generally expressing their frustration and anger. Channeling it in a constructive manner would be more beneficial than just whining.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe theres room for all kinds of recreating in the county, and as some have said, it will take a united front to get the county to hear you.....

I have personnaly always had a problem with horse people bashing OHV riders and vice versa...there is room for everyone to enjoy thier chossen sport or sports...

I know of a controled ATV park that has been on the books trying to get started for 4 years now in the Drayton Valley area....and it's no farther along today as when it started.....

But I hope it makes you feel better knowing that they the burricrates know whats best for us....

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we all need to pay into some sort of club that does somthing for us this is bs. if we all took the money we all spent on reg every year maybe we would have a voice to do somthing about it.

Top Bottom