Mountain must haves?

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering what you all think are some of the must haves to get for sleddin in the mountains and backcountry or even just trail ridin?Pickin up sled tomorrow wondering what I should try to get a deal on from the salesman.

GRD

Reaction score
Wondering what you all think are some of the must haves to get for sleddin in the mountains and backcountry or even just trail ridin?Pickin up sled tomorrow wondering what I should try to get a deal on from the salesman.

Safety gear is a must:
Shovel, Probe, Beacon, and Avy pack.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Get R Done said plus....if you can't start a fire it would be a long dangerous night..a folding saw is a must with a couple different ways to start a fire..lighter..matches..flint...and u better have a compass when she socks in...

M

mattmedic

Also for that fire, should have a peice or 2 of tin foil, to go under your fire, so it wont melt outta sight, and be extinguished. it is light, and doesn't take up much room, dobir made these cool kits for the packs, with some great ideas in the kit.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Get R Done said plus....if you can't start a fire it would be a long dangerous night..a folding saw is a must with a couple different ways to start a fire..lighter..matches..flint...and u better have a compass when she socks in...

Hey Dobir, how's it going? I trust your summer has gone well?

As suggested, first and most important are safety gear, and first aid gear. You have to remember you are often 100+ km's from your trucks. You need things you can work with now, not "once we're back at the truck".

A GPS is always great, but it won't do any good without batteries. A compass is a great idea as a backup. Not just having one, but KNOWING how to use it.

Spare parts! ALWAYS have an extra belt, and extra plugs.

Tool kits! ALWAYS bring tools to fix likely things on the trail. Change belts, change plugs, minor repaires.

Spare fuel tank. You don't need to carry it all day, but that extra gallon of fuel can be a huge time and energy saver. I always bring extra gas and I usaully never use it, but it's there when I, or somebody else needs it.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shibby....you ready to go or what...I just got a text for shiznit...he is whining about no snow....lol....looking forward to getting out west with ya...pulling ya out of some hole or off some tree...

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing I make sure I take with me is a survival blanket! a long with the other thing previously mentioned. Happy and safe riding!!:d

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point...and buy survival blankets new every so often...those bad boys fall to pieces after a couple years packing them around..when you go to unfold them they come apart...they are cheap to buy new every year..speaking from experience...3 guys stranded overnight in heavy rain on a mountain with no cover..hunting in northern BC...only one blanket held together...the rest had been carried around for a couple years and were useless...

M

mattmedic

Good point...and buy survival blankets new every so often...those bad boys fall to pieces after a couple years packing them around..when you go to unfold them they come apart...they are cheap to buy new every year..speaking from experience...3 guys stranded overnight in heavy rain on a mountain with no cover..hunting in northern BC...only one blanket held together...the rest had been carried around for a couple years and were useless...
god to know, never thought of that!!!!!just like the old rubber in the wallet idea "lmao"

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
god to know, never thought of that!!!!!just like the old rubber in the wallet idea "lmao"

If you need to replace your unused rubber in the wallet every year I think you have some issues to deal with =) hhaha

Shibby....you ready to go or what...I just got a text for shiznit...he is whining about no snow....lol....looking forward to getting out west with ya...pulling ya out of some hole or off some tree...

Haha. He has to be anxious with the amount of green he put into that sled! I saw it last Friday after some beers with him. Should be fun! He still had to get the intercooler on and some tuning. He says it's running horribly rich right now.

Damn rights I'm wanting to get out, but I'm not ready. This weekend the sled gets pulled out of the corner and gets the once over. New bumper (yup, you guessed it, hit a tree and broke the handle part), ski alignment, new belt, probably new plugs while I'm in there, track tension, good grease up, and new oil (both mix and chain). Then I am all ready to hit the mountain!

We'll have to get out soon. I think Golden and Revy will be our first few times, but I like riding down south too!

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snow and mud beer can cozys..dont want them getting a hole in thoses cans:beer::beer::d and your new snow and mud toque eh!

Nuckn'Futz

Reaction score
carrying an extra pair of gloves in a backpack along with all the other things is a good idea to

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An extra set of dry clothing, long underwear, long sleeve tee, and briefs. You should pack these in a Zip lock bag or a vacume packed bag. Takes up little storage space and is light weight.

If you happen to get stranded out in the middle of now where, you have propably worked up a major sweat trying to get yourself to safety, whether it is yanking a dead sled out or digging etc.??? The spare dry inner layer of clothing might help? Wet clothing over night could be nasty.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probally the best thing to bring is Riding Buddies! I know I would not venture to far from the cabins without some sort ofr assistance. Chit happens and when your by yourself it seems to happen for sure. Some sort of survival pack is also a needed item. Just a couple for now

GRD

Reaction score
Probally the best thing to bring is Riding Buddies! I know I would not venture to far from the cabins without some sort ofr assistance. Chit happens and when your by yourself it seems to happen for sure. Some sort of survival pack is also a needed item. Just a couple for now

Shiznit should know all about that... Looked like he was building a bunker trying to get his APEX out!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a couple of cup-o-soups in my pack and one of those cans with fuel gel. Saves time for a fire and will boil water/cook food faster because of the concentrated area of heat. Multiple bottles of water. Always carry xtra gloves, socks and goggles. I also carry a toque. A length of wire (exhaust spring broke once) and a bit of tubing. When the spring broke, the can moved over and burnt thru my oil line. I carry a couple of hot packs too. If you get towed out, you won't have heated grips and it gets pretty cold riding 20 ft behind a 900 RMK with 2.5 paddles :) Ask my brother.

I did come across a group of guys on the trail and one of them asked if I had extra boots with me. He had missed a turn, went flying off a bridge and one of his boots floated away. I still don't carry extra boots and hope that doesn't happen to me.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need nothing, I ride a DOO so i always know that i'm gettin home safe and sound:d

but really, extra socks and gloves and smokes for my buddy that conveniently leaves his in the truck (Powderchowder)

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK this will seem odd but DUCT tape, seriously!! It is amazing what it will fix/hold ect in a pinch. I always have a roll of electrician tape to. Agree with the avy pack and all that but also DUCT tape LOL All those ski doos out there will thank you ;) HEHEHE

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good points. A lot of that stuff I carry and forgot to post..

HOWEVER, one major item EVERYBODY is forgetting, is TP. Everybody needs TP. Some people are unlucky and need it out on the hill....

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a real good thread last fall, I think it was called "What do you carry in your pack?". All the things evrybody mentioned were there. Focus on light weight, good quality gear. If it is heavy it will probably not last long. Duct tape wound onto the shovel handle saves space. Couple emergency blankets taped togeather make a shelter. Energy bars.
Most important is take some common sense.

/

Back from when we started motorcycle trips and other odd things I do where space (and weight) are critical, we (and I still do) wrap tape around a bolt. The bolt serves a purpose on it's own, but wrapping it around saves a lot of space, and you only need to bring enough. If everybody does the same thing you end up with a lot of tape, and not a lot of space/weight.

I'm compiling a list for this years sledding so I'll dig up that post you were talking about because I'd like to know more about first aid things to bring and so our group has a complete riding package.

Top Bottom