Mountain must haves?

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need nothing, I ride a DOO so i always know that i'm gettin home safe and sound:d

but really, extra socks and gloves and smokes for my buddy that conveniently leaves his in the truck (Powderchowder)

last i rode there was a fare share of DOOS on the end of ropes! anything man made is to break!

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first trip last year we were riding griffin and were headed back to the truck in the dark and i hit something! with the snow and wind and the thougth of having to spend the night on the mountain i was scared! ive been in the bush my whole life. ive done survival camping and training, active member in search and rescue for over ten years. the whole thing that put things into perspective was my wife, at home 5 months pregnent! up untill then the whole deal with going to the bar and back to the hotel at 3 in the morning and not unloading till noon was over! i live to ride, and now i live to come home! so every thing that everyone has said is what u u should think about packing when u ride.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im really glad someone started this thread up again. I now have an idea what to ask for Christmas and to get other people for christmas.

Oh is there a waterproof bag or is that unheard of? Well I guess a small tarp or anything plastic would cover it good.
you can get dry bags at places like campers village and mountain equipment co-op.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get dry bags at places like campers village and mountain equipment co-op.
Please please please DO NOT buy anything from Mountain Equipment Co-op!! Some of the money you spent there goes directly against closing our riding area's. This is a fact!!!!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please please please DO NOT buy anything from Mountain Equipment Co-op!! Some of the money you spent there goes directly against closing our riding area's. This is a fact!!!!

I walked in there once wearing a Polaris t-shirt.... MAN did I get a lot of dirty looks lol

krazykraut

Reaction score
Thanks, thats good to know. Just wondering where you can find more info on this? Would like to show my bro, who shops there all the time.

Chevkiller

Reaction score
is anyone using Warn's new snowmobile winch? i was just looking at it and man, it would have come in handy the couple of times we were using the cumalongs for hours. all other things are good, the best thing i carry is GOOD boots and small snow shoes and my GPS.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, thats good to know. Just wondering where you can find more info on this? Would like to show my bro, who shops there all the time.
Here's a link page 5 thanks them for donating money, this report made snowmobile's
look bad:

They are involved in many other access type issue's and spend money on anyone that has there hand out for the cause of saving the environment.

Like Rucky said just go in there and openly say your here to buy your sledding gear and just see the response you get.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avypack in the high country for sure,was in 2.5 avy last spring pulled the bag got slammed into my sled blacked out,come to slide had sucked my legs under,with the slide pushing on the bags would not engulf me.

Did the overnight thing up the North Thompson ,scouting out new terrain, the previous threads have good list what you will need.Have a safe winter!

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Didn`t read all the last 6 pages but if it hasn`t been noted a large orange plastic bag, doesn`t take up a lot of room or heavy and is useful as a signalling device or snow/wind protection.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I walked in there once wearing a Polaris t-shirt.... MAN did I get a lot of dirty looks lol

Tell them a story of how you whack seals on the head and load them in a skidder behind your Polaris as you think about the caribou steaks you're gonna have for supper!! The girls behind the tills will fall over. M.E.C. IS THE ENEMY of all motorized sports:rant::nono::rant: Sorry off topic but i hate M.E.C.

RevBlk

Reaction score
Not to HiJack but i walked in that place with my leathers on and my Harley parked in their lot. I was looking for rain Gear 'cause it was pouring. The looks I got I hadn't seen since I tooted in church when I was 7. Now I know why. Glad to say they didn't have anything that fit me. Nor will they ever now. Thanks for the info & I will spread the word.
Rev

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good cloths to protect you from the elements(extra dry stuff), food for extra day if things head south, tools for minor repairs, and a major first aid kit as people need to be repaired emediatly when they break. As per itemized list its a preferance thing for each person. Cat riders are usually heavier on the parts list.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Survival blanket is mentioned several times but make sure you get the $15 type.....not the $3 type. Those tin foil kleenex don't do squat! A lot of good items mentioned in here. Don't only carry these items but know how to use every single one of them. Beacon, GPS, first aid kit, fire starter...all important items..... but only if you know how to use em. :beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wondering what you all think are some of the must haves to get for sleddin in the mountains and backcountry or even just trail ridin?Pickin up sled tomorrow wondering what I should try to get a deal on from the salesman.

Most of the items listed would be better off bought at places other than dealers (beacons, first aid kits, fire starter, space blankets, etc.). Your question appears to be two fold: what do I need and what should I get the salesman to give me a deal on or throw in!

I'll go the salesman route as the other guys have pretty much covered the emergency items. Try for a belly pan, scratchers, spare belt/plugs, quick release for goggles, maybe goggles, a cover for trailering, spare gas can and harness.

If you don't ask you won't know. Have a great winter and be safe out there.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good ideas here. I pack alot of the stuff already mentioned, but I probably use my snowshoes more than anything else. From getting to a buddy to help get him unstuck, to packing down the snow to ride a stuck sled out on, or even just for a spot to build a fire. I bet i use them for something or other almost every time I go out. I never ride without them.

Top Bottom