Mountain must haves?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great point and story NosRX1.

Just some small reminders to remember that we are at mother natures mercy. Like stated, it can change fast, especially at 7000-8000ft on weather changing mountain tops!

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey there ,well picked up alot of the items listed, still some stuff to get.
puttin together a small tool kit any suggestions what i should have?

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Learned a valuable lesson about first aid kits a couple of years ago, the small ones are useless. After emptying 2 of them we barely had the bleeding stopped(hole through chin and cut up knee (total of 40+ stitches), then emptied the one in the cabin(Thanks Varda) after we arrived there.(Yes we replaced everything) My new first aid kit is in a large shaving kit and I think I could perform surgery on the hill now.

SOS Backpack
First aid kit and aluminum cup filled with energy bars sit in the bottom of pack.
Assorted tie wraps in secret back pocket.
Survival blanket
TP in ziplock bag
Water proof matches(in waterproof container) and firestarter.
Leatherman
2 lightsticks
Folding wood saw
Duct tape
Extra belaclava
Toque
Extra winter gloves
Light glove liners
Video Camera
One water bottle
Bag of peanuts
6 handwarmers
Shovel and probe on outside. Haywire in shovel handle

SOS outer pouch
GPS
More glove liners
Paper in zip lock
Lighter
Compass

Yes it's heavy, but I've been close to spending the night, so I don't care

On Sled

In Seat pouch

Water and gatoraid stuffed into gloves(protection and won't freeze)
100 ft 3/8 rope
Tools and spare plugs

In QRS bag on tunnel

First aid kit might end up in here this year.
Extra gloves
Food prewrapped for Muff Pot
Paper towel and small bottle hand cleaner
Bungee straps
6 foot warmers

willhickey

Reaction score
Two year ago I bought a snow bungie and I can tell you that it was the best $50 i ever spent. I droped my sled into a creek. Hooked a toe rope up the handle and the hook on my ski and hauled it out in about 2 min. I don't know if it is supposed to be used like that however at that moment I did not have much of a choice. Well worth the money! Just sucks to carry, if you can't fit it inthe trunk

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, you think it's "only" 5 or so and dark out. So the temp can't get much cooler right? Then, after about 1hr into the hike we were down the tough part so returning to the caves wasn't necessarily an option. We were mostly sliding down and not "hiking", so going up would have been dangerous for sure.

We should or could have re-evaluated the situation, but in a warmer cave and only 12 km's it doesn't sound like much till you actually start trenching through 10-12 " of fresh snow and steep inclines. Once commited there was no turning around. We kept pushing eachother to keep going. One would get ahead and so the person following would have to keep up. Sucked when your legs were burning, weak, and wanting to collapse, but it worked!

Let me tell you, the feeling of finally seeing the trucks through the heavy snowfall was great!

Yah... until you realized you forgot your keys in the cave :fear::fear::tearhairout:

:d :d

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple different versions of the snowbungee and agree how valuable it is....If you wrap it tight and hook it into itself it can go right around your steering column...right below your riser...

sledhead65

Reaction score
Hi every one, we all have to agree these are good ideas, but lets get serious.. what is your life worth.. find a way to buy and write off a satellite phone, and a gps, hopefully you never need them , but if you do,, you wont regret it, we spend thousands on mods, but over look the grand for the two electronic items that would save ourselves or someone else, just my 2 cents

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry allot that is listed above but the one thing I did not read is ratchet straps. I carry 2 of the smallest one I could find. They come in handy when you break steering parts. Or need to tie on to another sled to tow out. I ratchet them in the engine compartment, you dont even know they are there.

willhickey

Reaction score
That is a must have. Last year I bent my suspention all to hell and used the ratchit to bend it back and hold it together. This happend early and I was still able to ride all day and out later on.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I forgot to mention in my previous post but I also carry a Jon-e handwarmer with me at ALL times. I have the "Giant" model and its super wicked for even drying socks and gloves or even keeping your body temp up and away from hypothermia. You can also use them for lighting fires fast and they will stay lit for over 12 hours no problem. Here is a link.

Jon-E Handwarmers : Cabela's

P.S. I just use lighter fluid in mine.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been really bothering me lately that my dad has no interest in carrying barely any of these items... I asked him today "Wtf happens if we get stuck out there.... Even if you're a km from the cabin... In the conditions you see in the mountains, that's a tough walk..." (And how many people can honestly say they stay within a couple km's of the cabin.. it's bullchit) He replied "That's why I don't ride the 'backcountry'" (Last time I checked Renshaw is backcountry, as well as Lucille, Bell, Clemina, Allan Creek, Milage, etc.... he also said "Too bad so sad" at one point... This is when I got pissed off. His complete lack of care is sad. Like it's been said before, it's not much to spend on the gear considering how many dollars we have into our sleds... Does anyone have any advice? This is irritating me and I know this will bother most of you out there that have any common sense. Thanks.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
It's been really bothering me lately that my dad has no interest in carrying barely any of these items... I asked him today "Wtf happens if we get stuck out there.... Even if you're a km from the cabin... In the conditions you see in the mountains, that's a tough walk..." (And how many people can honestly say they stay within a couple km's of the cabin.. it's bullchit) He replied "That's why I don't ride the 'backcountry'" (Last time I checked Renshaw is backcountry, as well as Lucille, Bell, Clemina, Allan Creek, Milage, etc.... he also said "Too bad so sad" at one point... This is when I got pissed off. His complete lack of care is sad. Like it's been said before, it's not much to spend on the gear considering how many dollars we have into our sleds... Does anyone have any advice? This is irritating me and I know this will bother most of you out there that have any common sense. Thanks.

I gotch your back Rucky :d

Reaction score
Along with all the previous things stated, Don't forget snacks, knife, headlamp, maybe some ch!t tickets and a gun depending on how red your neck is. Always tell someone where you are going, and when u will be back.
Hoping to get a SAT PHONE one day!

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
along w/ your 4' piece of tin foil add 4' wax paper burns wet or dry

small pack of pringles chips Exellent fire starter:eek:

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say I didn't read the entire thread............ but here's what I pack(from past BAD experiences) : extra gloves,toque, water res matches,folding saws,tampons to soak in gas fro fire,50ft of rope,safety blanket,flares,always have radios & batteries,GPS,will have SAT phone this year, flashlight,water,snacks & extra goggles & some tools to fix a few minor things. Seems like alot, but I had to climb out from the Park in the back of Quartz one year(6 hrs on my hands & knees (3500ft down) & I make sure I have what I need or someone else may need!!!
May post the story in another thread sometime!!!;)

RN

Apex162

Reaction score
Carry some lg. hose clamps, used them one year for a broken trailing arm with duct tape and small branch. Rode all day and was much stronger than the chromoly trail arm.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you pack a bag with a bunch of these greatly listed items on this page and previous page. All its gonna take is one bad experience or a few mishaps, where that bag will do wonders. He will realize it and come around.

Just because ur dad wont pack a bag doesnt mean u dont have too. I know being younger it may be tougher to pack a lot of these expensive things listed. There is still a few household items u could take, tampon, rope, matches ina ziplock, extra clothes/mitts/toque, the list goes on and on.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im really glad someone started this thread up again. I now have an idea what to ask for Christmas and to get other people for christmas.

Oh is there a waterproof bag or is that unheard of? Well I guess a small tarp or anything plastic would cover it good.

Top Bottom