how to take out the primary clutch without clutch puller!!!!

pispimotto

Reaction score
hi

i have a 2008 ski-doo summit x and i want to take the primary out and i don't have the clutch puller!!is there any way to take it out???

thanks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remove your primary bolt and put your sled on it's exhaust side. fill the bolt hole full of water, then wrap your primary bolt with a few wraps of teflon tape. the yellow gas line tape works the best, but white will work as well with an extra wrap or two. make sure to wrap the threads clockwise (looking down on top of the threads with bolt pointed upwards) and thread the tape wrapped bolt into primary bolt hole filled with water. use an impact (it will not rattle the crank because there is no metal to metal contact like using a puller) or just a ratchet and socket if you have no impact. the primary will pop off with a bang that will almost make you chit your pants.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
remove your primary bolt and put your sled on it's exhaust side. fill the bolt hole full of water, then wrap your primary bolt with a few wraps of teflon tape. the yellow gas line tape works the best, but white will work as well with an extra wrap or two. make sure to wrap the threads clockwise (looking down on top of the threads with bolt pointed upwards) and thread the tape wrapped bolt into primary bolt hole filled with water. use an impact (it will not rattle the crank because there is no metal to metal contact like using a puller) or just a ratchet and socket if you have no impact. the primary will pop off with a bang that will almost make you chit your pants.

Or if your troy maybe not "almost"

WOW... your all about the chitting your pants aren't you....

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you use a rachet you need to hold the clutch from turning, i use a tie down strap. Teeroy is bang on here though, i find this way easier than using the "proper" tools for clutch removal.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you guys actually done it this way?? Does the clutch bolt not thread into the crank and there for you will have the water hydraulic inside the crank?? Not trying to be a smart ass just want to clarify:confused: I thought the threads in the clutch were bigger than the threads in the crank so you couldn't use the original clutch retaining bolt. But it sound like a viable solution.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you guys actually done it this way?? Does the clutch bolt not thread into the crank and there for you will have the water hydraulic inside the crank?? Not trying to be a smart ass just want to clarify:confused: I thought the threads in the clutch were bigger than the threads in the crank so you couldn't use the original clutch retaining bolt. But it sound like a viable solution.
the bolt first must thread through the fixed half before threading into the crank, the threads in the fixed half and the crank are the same.

I was skeptical when I first heard of this a few years back, but was out of options to get my clutch off because I didn't want to break the puller off inside the clutch like I had seen others post about. I tried several times to get it off using hot water, warming and cooling with a torch, even putting it outside at -30 with tension on the puller and bringing it inside....nothing worked and I surely wasn't going to use a 3/4" impact on the puller like the dealer suggested.... :rolleyes: .

when I tried it the very first time, I just used a ratchet and was holding the clutch from turning with one hand and it came off with a bang, I barely felt any resistance on the ratchet and it scared me when it popped off. amazing....I haven't used a puller since, and never will again.

Cowboy151

Reaction score
I have been the victim of the dreaded broken puller syndrome. I will definately keep this tip close to the top of my toolbox. Cheers:beer:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good post. I've gotta do the crank seal on my 800 Rev and don't have a puller. Guess I don't need one!:beer:
Not trying to Hi-jack the thread but any advice on replacing the crank seal? I've never done one before.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good post. I've gotta do the crank seal on my 800 Rev and don't have a puller. Guess I don't need one!:beer:
Not trying to Hi-jack the thread but any advice on replacing the crank seal? I've never done one before.

Does your sled have the plate with the 4 bolts to hold the seal in or is it pressed into the case? - the fundamentals are pretty simple: pull the old one out, re-grease the bearing, clean the groove and surface very well, put new seal in properly with even pressure preferrably with a seal driver but if you have a big socket that can work too (don't just bang on one side and then on the other with a flatblade screwdriver etc).

pispimotto

Reaction score

it worked with water very very easy!!!!

thanks

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does your sled have the plate with the 4 bolts to hold the seal in or is it pressed into the case? - the fundamentals are pretty simple: pull the old one out, re-grease the bearing, clean the groove and surface very well, put new seal in properly with even pressure preferrably with a seal driver but if you have a big socket that can work too (don't just bang on one side and then on the other with a flatblade screwdriver etc).

Thanks Modman. Greatly appreciated:beer:

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is this just a Doo fix or would it work on a '96 Polarice as well?

Top Bottom