how to take out the primary clutch without clutch puller!!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this just a Doo fix or would it work on a '96 Polarice as well?
dunno man. not sure polarice would be into that....

as for the water trick working on a Polaris, I don't know. you would have to ask someone familiar with them.

ridealaska

Reaction score
I don't know if it's easier or not but when i pull my clutch off i'll take the bolt out, stick the head of a 3lb rubber mallet inbetween the sheaves and pound on that with another hammer. You kinda have to jimmy it off by rotating the clutch after ever couple of pounds. Like pound a couple times, take the mallet out, rotate clutch 90 degrees, put mallet in, pound, etc.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's easier or not but when i pull my clutch off i'll take the bolt out, stick the head of a 3lb rubber mallet inbetween the sheaves and pound on that with another hammer. You kinda have to jimmy it off by rotating the clutch after ever couple of pounds. Like pound a couple times, take the mallet out, rotate clutch 90 degrees, put mallet in, pound, etc.

Yeah, thought of that but wasn't sure if it would damage anything.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So you leave the fixed half of the clutch on the sled? I would be worried about hammering on mine like that and damaging my crank:confused:

ridealaska

Reaction score
Yeah i just left the fixed part on the sled. I only plan on doing it like this once. I took this route simply because I got impatient waiting for the clutch puller to come in the mail.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i just left the fixed part on the sled. I only plan on doing it like this once. I took this route simply because I got impatient waiting for the clutch puller to come in the mail.

Check out the first page of the thread. You dont need any special tools to get your clutch off. Give it a try i bet you it works better than a clutch puller

RockyMntKing

Reaction score
Hey I'm going to try this trick on my '07 RMK 600 tomorow and I'm just wondering how full should the hole be with water when I do this? all the way or what? and can I seperate the 2 sheaves without the puller? or do I need it to seperate them?

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm going to try this trick on my '07 RMK 600 tomorow and I'm just wondering how full should the hole be with water when I do this? all the way or what? and can I seperate the 2 sheaves without the puller? or do I need it to seperate them?

I have no idea if the Poo clutches are the same as Doo clutches but if they are....Fill the bolt hole all the way with water. With thread tape on the clutch bolt thread it into the clutch. Start to snug it up with a wrench and it will pop right off. To stop the clutch from spinning while doing this use a small tie down strap from your foot well and hook it on the clutch.

Once it is off hold the sliding sheave in the palm of your hand. Your hand will be where the belt goes and the clutch bolt will be pointing up at you. Hit the head of the bolt with a hammer a few times and the two halves will separate.

Good luck!:beer:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
used this water trick to change mine last week. works wayyyyy better than the puller.

RockyMntKing

Reaction score
I have no idea if the Poo clutches are the same as Doo clutches but if they are....Fill the bolt hole all the way with water. With thread tape on the clutch bolt thread it into the clutch. Start to snug it up with a wrench and it will pop right off. To stop the clutch from spinning while doing this use a small tie down strap from your foot well and hook it on the clutch.

Once it is off hold the sliding sheave in the palm of your hand. Your hand will be where the belt goes and the clutch bolt will be pointing up at you. Hit the head of the bolt with a hammer a few times and the two halves will separate.

Good luck!:beer:

I dont see why the Polaris clutch should be any different from the doo set up, as far as the basic principles of how it works...but i dont want to wreck anything. The primary bolt getting threaded back into the crank, correct? So where is all this water going to go:confused: Thanks so much for the feedback :)

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont see why the Polaris clutch should be any different from the doo set up, as far as the basic principles of how it works...but i dont want to wreck anything. The primary bolt getting threaded back into the crank, correct? So where is all this water going to go:confused: Thanks so much for the feedback :)

Basically the water just spills all over the place once the clutch pops off. Dont worry its only a couple ounces.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The primary bolt getting threaded back into the crank, right?

no, the bolt should first thread into the fixed half for it to be able to work. if the crank threads are the first threads the bolt hits, it will not work.

RockyMntKing

Reaction score
no, the bolt should first thread into the fixed half for it to be able to work. if the crank threads are the first threads the bolt hits, it will not work.

Arent the threads on the primary bolt smaller than the threads on the fixed sheave? because when i took the primaty bolt out all i had to do was loosen it out from the crank and it slid past the threads on the fixed sheave:confused:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arent the threads on the primary bolt smaller than the threads on the fixed sheave? because when i took the primaty bolt out all i had to do was loosen it out from the crank and it slid past the threads on the fixed sheave:confused:
on a ski doo, the fixed half threads and the crank threads are the same size. when you put the bolt into the 'doo, it threads through the fixed half first, then a space, and then into the crank.

if you found a bigger bolt than your clutch bolt that threads into your fixed half, then it would work.

RockyMntKing

Reaction score
Ok, thanks teeroy and pistonbroke800 for the help :d I guess that this doesnt work with polaris but I might just try to find a bolt thats the same size as the threads in the fixed half and it should work, when i try ill let you know how it works. Thanks again:)

Top Bottom