Allowable overhang with a sled on a sled deck in BC

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies here but going to post it anyways.......Rolled through Valemount last night from Blue River....Got stoped outside of town by there local RCMP and got a 109.00 ticket for to much overhang on my sled deck.......He told me that they only allow 4 feet from the taillights to the end of the track.....Im way over with the 174 track so he wrote me a nice little welcome to Valemount please come again.......NOT........Total Bullchit......He said i needed a light on the end of the track to be legal.......
Just giving everyone who runs decks the heads up.

BD

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Valemount 2009 and 2010 Conditions

Not sure if this applies here but going to post it anyways.......Rolled through Valemount last night from Blue River....Got stoped outside of town by there local RCMP and got a 109.00 ticket for to much overhang on my sled deck.......He told me that they only allow 4 feet from the taillights to the end of the track.....Im way over with the 174 track so he wrote me a nice little welcome to Valemount please come again.......NOT........Total Bullchit......He said i needed a light on the end of the track to be legal.......

BD
if you have lights on the rear of your deck, it would be 4' from that point according to his words. for commercial purposes, they count "overhang" from the center of the rear axle. so anything beyond that 1.5m must have a light, even if it's 2 inches past your taillights. we got shook down just south of Valemount February long weekend, big check stop.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have lights on the rear of your deck, it would be 4' from that point according to his words. for commercial purposes, they count "overhang" from the center of the rear axle. so anything beyond that 1.5m must have a light, even if it's 2 inches past your taillights. we got shook down just south of Valemount February long weekend, big check stop.

Actually in the rules of the traffic act, it cant be more than 4 feet from the tail lights of the vehicle. The lights on the sled deck itself are for DOT length and width requirements and do not apply to the over hang rule.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

a while back i got pulled over just outside of valemount at the rodeside pull out just after the scales leaving the scales. he said i wasnt legal as i have a short box wiht a 162 sled. i was over 4' by about 4 or 5 inch. was kinda funny. no tickets for me as i wasnt rude and asked a bunch of question. i asked him to give me stuff so i could put it on the site and he was more then happy to give me the law numbers ect. even gave me info on your headlights/dirving lights/ fog lignts. but if you ask em for the info i have no idea where i stuck it as it was on the back of a ticket paper and probaly throught it out.

iam sure someone can get that info again.. the RCMP officer was extreamly nice and wanted to help.

he did tell me that if iam over 4ft from the box. i have to have a lighted red light on the further part of the sled. for a night and a something red for during the day. then i would be fine.

and the lights on your sled deck are only for snowing where the abck of the laod is of the deck. and it is not a legal way to make your truck longer. has to be lit up at the back of the sleds.

ill look around for the info again today. means i have to actually clean my truck tho.. arg!!!

Maxwe

Reaction score

ok this makes sense. I saw a guy in valemount with two portable red tail lights hanging off the back of his two machines on the deck. I kinda laughed at him and said what the heck is that all about. He then explained how he got stopped in a stop check in Feb and got a ticket. Same cop stopped in March and gave him another ticket and this time went though his truck etc. He said after $500.00 in fines enough.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Actually in the rules of the traffic act, it cant be more than 4 feet from the tail lights of the vehicle. The lights on the sled deck itself are for DOT length and width requirements and do not apply to the over hang rule.
ya, I'm not familiar with highway traffic laws pertaining to passenger vehicles so I wouldn't argue that. why wouldn't rear facing lights on the rear of the deck be considered tail lights, they are not required by law, unless the deck stuck out 4' past the OEM tail lights. if your deck is bolted down, it is considered a part of the vehicle unless I am mistaken. long load lights are not required to function as a brake light or signal light. is there a specific definition for tail lights?

edit: found definition of tail lights.....section 26, sub section 8 of the highway traffic act states:
8) All tail lamps and, if any, separate lamps for illuminating the
rear licence plate shall be so wired that they will light and remain
lit whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are alight.

section 27 on rear overhang states:
27 A vehicle carrying a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle
to the extent of 1.5 metres or more shall,
(a) during night time hours display a red light, and
(b) at all other times, display a red flag, which shall be not
less than 300 millimetres square,
on and at the extreme rear end of the overhanging load and
sufficient in either case to indicate the projection of the load.

so according to these rules, I don't understand why rearward facing deck lights would not be considered tail lights. could not find a specific statement defining "rear of vehicle". no where is the measurement of "4 feet" used, it says 1.5 meters, which is 4.92 feet.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-h-8/latest/rsa-2000-c-h-8.html

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Couldn't you just fire up your sleds? LOL There!! "instant tail lights"
I think I am going to print out teeroy's findings, and keep them in my glove box.
I guess it would be a good idea to go to Princess auto and rig up a set of lights that plug into the trailer plug, and strap onto the sled bumpers.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BD
I didn't see this question asked, how long was your sled deck and were there working lights at the back of the deck? I can understand if the sled was in the back of the truck but if it was on a deck with working marker lights than how is this a problem?
I'm going to start a thread in snowmobile chat so we can keep this thread on track.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posted in valemount conditions.

BD
I didn't see this question asked, how long was your sled deck and were there working lights at the back of the deck? I can understand if the sled was in the back of the truck but if it was on a deck with working marker lights than how is this a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ur overhang dosnt start at the rear axle. it starts at the end of the vehicle. and sled deck lights cannot be used as ur tailights cuz they do not function as a tailight and arent dot approved to be tailghts. they need a reflector inside the light for when they are lit up. and it isnt how the factory made ur truck. its 4ft from the tailgate or u need sum kinda light rig up. simple solution just a pain in the a$$.

now is it just one light needed or do we need one for each sled on the deck? im thinkn just one on the longest sled.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ur overhang dosnt start at the rear axle. it starts at the end of the vehicle.

now is it just one light needed or do we need one for each sled on the deck? im thinkn just one on the longest sled.
in commercial truck transport as I mentioned, overhang absolutely does start at the center of your rearmost axle.

the reflector is not required for when the light is lit up, but for when it is not illuminated, for safety when you are parked.

you only need a single red light, visible from a distance of 150 meters, or a single red flag 300mm x 300mm

Last edited:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 7 foot flat deck (box removed) with the LED oval tail lights (DOT) at the end of my deck. with the sleds on, they hang over 3 feet 11.5 inches. if a cop wants to measure it and look stupid all the power to him/her but I'm legal. LOL as for starting up your sled to run the rear tail light wont work.....they will give you a ticket for a head light to high (the front of the sled lol) just my 2 cents lol

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really makes a guy want to go to Valemount.....nawt!! I've made the better part of 40 trips to Revy with a deck and have never been bothered by cops. Way to crack down on guys supporting your town, I know where I wont be bringing my cash!

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that the deck light would not matter if your track sticks out past the deck, as they probily measure to the furthest point from your truck and that is where the light must be. Just a guess

trailblazer

Reaction score
A pain,perhaps,the law for sure!Am easy solution is go to Napa,Princess Auto and purchase a mag. light for $20,you only need one per load and your good to go!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A pain,perhaps,the law for sure!Am easy solution is go to Napa,Princess Auto and purchase a mag. light for $20,you only need one per load and your good to go!!

And where are you going to stick the magnet?

I like the idea of a light or set of lights (portable) on the back of the sled(s) that connects to the trailer plug. Seems like that would be a simple fix for Red Green with a little duct tape thrown in.....

Otherwise, a person just has to make sure they are legal cause it sure is a pita having to deal with it at a check stop. I noticed a parked trailer with 4 sleds at the Alberta scales (east of Frank) last Wed evening. Don't know what happened but after a hard day of riding that would be a little demanding.....

Top Bottom