RT1000 or Rev 800

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I just cannot decide. A 800 rev 159 or a 1000 162? I am really leaning towards the 1000 for more power. And they are priced MUCH better. I know 06 is a lot better year for them and am looking at that.

I know the 1000 is about 90lbs heavier, but I am about 300 myself so weight has never been a huge deal to me :p

I probably would pull the trigger on a good 07 with a 159" but they are all just crazy priced, and I really want to keep it under $5,500. I can EASILY buy a nice 06 1000 162" for that with under 1500 miles, but a rev with a 159 has to be a 04 with like 2500 miles atleast.

I know the 1000's had a bit of problems but everyone says when they are setup they rip and the revs are nothing compared to them.

Help me decide :beer:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
my buddy is about that weight and has the 1000. i am not far behind in the weight and i ride an 04 151 800 and he used to out pull me everytime, now i have a terralps 830 and i can now pull with him and sometimes outpull him. you will deffinetly feel the weight difference but stock to stock the 1000 will always win.

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I just cannot decide. A 800 rev 159 or a 1000 162? I am really leaning towards the 1000 for more power. And they are priced MUCH better. I know 06 is a lot better year for them and am looking at that.

I know the 1000 is about 90lbs heavier, but I am about 300 myself so weight has never been a huge deal to me :p

I probably would pull the trigger on a good 07 with a 159" but they are all just crazy priced, and I really want to keep it under $5,500. I can EASILY buy a nice 06 1000 162" for that with under 1500 miles, but a rev with a 159 has to be a 04 with like 2500 miles atleast.

I know the 1000's had a bit of problems but everyone says when they are setup they rip and the revs are nothing compared to them.

Help me decide :beer:

Where do you Ride?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you Ride?

Mcbride, Valemount, hoping to get to Revy this year, maybe somewhere else new to. I am more more into playing in the powder and technical stuff over highmarking, but getting into that a bit to. So power and track is huge for me. I don't care about how long the sled is, I had a 162" king cat last year and rode it locally a few times in the trails, and didn't mind it.

Basically my thoughs are the RT is a lot like a king cat, except it is a lot more rider comfort, and handles a lot better? I had a 03 ZX 800HO 151" and I couldn't go back to that power after having the cat 900.

I can get a 06 1000X 162" 2300 km few extras for $5300 or less. Such a steal, hard to consider passing it up.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mcbride, Valemount, hoping to get to Revy this year, maybe somewhere else new to. I am more more into playing in the powder and technical stuff over highmarking, but getting into that a bit to. So power and track is huge for me. I don't care about how long the sled is, I had a 162" king cat last year and rode it locally a few times in the trails, and didn't mind it.

Basically my thoughs are the RT is a lot like a king cat, except it is a lot more rider comfort, and handles a lot better? I had a 03 ZX 800HO 151" and I couldn't go back to that power after having the cat 900.

I can get a 06 1000X 162" 2300 km few extras for $5300 or less. Such a steal, hard to consider passing it up.

well if ya dont mind the weight get the 1000... but for tiht stuff that 800 will be better and the reason they are more money is because more people want them, but thoose who like the 1000 dont seem to mind the weight...

you can sell the 800 much easier,,, but keep your eyes peeled and that 1000 may even come in a bit cheaper..

good luck man

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if ya dont mind the weight get the 1000... but for tiht stuff that 800 will be better and the reason they are more money is because more people want them, but thoose who like the 1000 dont seem to mind the weight...

you can sell the 800 much easier,,, but keep your eyes peeled and that 1000 may even come in a bit cheaper..

good luck man

I've been browsing forums and Kijiji for a good 6 weeks. Most 1000's are $6000, people willing to drop a bit not much, I offered most on Kijiji like $5300 none would take it, that is like 5 sleds. This one has a boondocker box (assured me no nos ever, and if I buy I will be looking for it). So I figure that is worth a few hundred extra. And the pics, the sled is CLEAN. It is by far the best deal on a RT i've found.

The main thing holding me back on the 1000's is people scaring me about relieability of it.

I have no plans to sell any sled I get for quite sometime, in school for next 2 seasons so won't be able to upgrade. I just want a good sled that will pull hard this year and next atleast for $5,500 max, and not blow up lol.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing forums and Kijiji for a good 6 weeks. Most 1000's are $6000, people willing to drop a bit not much, I offered most on Kijiji like $5300 none would take it, that is like 5 sleds. This one has a boondocker box (assured me no nos ever, and if I buy I will be looking for it). So I figure that is worth a few hundred extra. And the pics, the sled is CLEAN. It is by far the best deal on a RT i've found.

The main thing holding me back on the 1000's is people scaring me about relieability of it.

I have no plans to sell any sled I get for quite sometime, in school for next 2 seasons so won't be able to upgrade. I just want a good sled that will pull hard this year and next atleast for $5,500 max, and not blow up lol.

DOO it man,,, you sound stoked ask summitric he has one and can tell ya what to look for,, but I am pretty sure over all its a good sled....

let it snow

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow are you in for a surprise comparing the handling of your kingcat to the 1000 rev,I have rode the 1000 and as you know I also ride a kingcat.
How to spell Tank!
Go with the 800 and Bigbore it down the road!
My two cents!
catmando!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow are you in for a surprise comparing the handling of your kingcat to the 1000 rev,I have rode the 1000 and as you know I also ride a kingcat.
How to spell Tank!
Go with the 800 and Bigbore it down the road!
My two cents!
catmando!

Wow wierd. I would expect the RT to be better. You actually perfer the king cat's handling? I liked how it handled, I just hated the low handle bars and seat. But how do you like the rev's handling? I though it was a lot better then the king cat.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1000'S SUCK ,weight...blowing up,.....800 all the way:d any more power needed thats the platform to use.have stock 05X 159 and its fun for what i use it for and lots more to lose.

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Go with the Rev 800, easyer, better to handle in the hills, no defueling problems to contend with when pulling the hills.

I have a 1000 I like it alot but ride it mostly down here and it is a Great sled for that.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Rev 800, easyer, better to handle in the hills, no defueling problems to contend with when pulling the hills.

I have a 1000 I like it alot but ride it mostly down here and it is a Great sled for that.

I though the defueling problem when climbing was due to the sleds running to cold because they had 3 big coolers? 06 got rid of one, and cut another in size a lot and though the 06's were fine in that regard?

I have no doubt the 800 is easier to handle, but so is a 600. Did the 05 and 06s really get much more power over the 03's? I though it was only like 7%? Because I know I wouldn't be happy with the kind of power my 03 ZX had, didn't take much to need it to the bars, and many times still short on power.

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I though the defueling problem when climbing was due to the sleds running to cold because they had 3 big coolers? 06 got rid of one, and cut another in size a lot and though the 06's were fine in that regard?

I have no doubt the 800 is easier to handle, but so is a 600. Did the 05 and 06s really get much more power over the 03's? I though it was only like 7%? Because I know I wouldn't be happy with the kind of power my 03 ZX had, didn't take much to need it to the bars, and many times still short on power.

You are kinda right, the EG. sensor when side hilling on right side acts up.
(egts get hot) and yea putting a Thermostat will work and or taking out a cooler.

Note, I love the power of my 1000 and it feels good to be sidebyside
of a XP and race a Win
on the flats in deep snow or trail, hills do not know yet:beer:

If it feels right just do it, that is why I got my 1000RT Renagede
and with a MBRP Can it is quite untill you open it up
Wow scare the guy ride beside you, thats great stuff...:d
One more thing the big pig of a engine keeps down the front when going
up up up...:eek:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride with a couple RTs in our group and stock to stock they will always out pull the 800. Big bore the 800 and it will out pull the RTs. Fuel delivery was typically not a problem after 05.....typically. I would be getting the 800 but that is just me. The next part really hurts to admit cause I am a die hard DOO guy. If you want cheap big two stroke horsepower that is easy to make work well get a M1000. Pipe, can, cold air intake, head, programmer and you are at about 190HP which is enough for most and they don't blow up as often as a DOO. Start stock and build as cash allows. Then there is the 1200 kit. Cat just simply has more potential for big power later. For all of the above the only time weight will be a big issue is when you are stuck, keep the track long and this is not a big issue. All the sleds you are looking at are good and none will dissapoint you.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride with a couple RTs in our group and stock to stock they will always out pull the 800. Big bore the 800 and it will out pull the RTs. Fuel delivery was typically not a problem after 05.....typically. I would be getting the 800 but that is just me. The next part really hurts to admit cause I am a die hard DOO guy. If you want cheap big two stroke horsepower that is easy to make work well get a M1000. Pipe, can, cold air intake, head, programmer and you are at about 190HP which is enough for most and they don't blow up as often as a DOO. Start stock and build as cash allows. Then there is the 1200 kit. Cat just simply has more potential for big power later. For all of the above the only time weight will be a big issue is when you are stuck, keep the track long and this is not a big issue. All the sleds you are looking at are good and none will dissapoint you.

I honestly don't think I will ever consider a cat again. I cannot stand how the M-series is a 15 wide track, and how they are setup under the hood. Even my king cat, I hated the design of many things. And people want a fortune for their cats here.

I decieded on a sled, 06 RT1000 162" for $5000. Sled looks like it came from the factory and has a boondocker box, can, and geared down. Has proof of the sled being completely gone threw like clean clutches etc.

You are right I don't think i'd really be disappionted with a 800 or a 1000, but I think the 1000 will be better for me. It already has a can to reduce some weight, and I think I can afford a new boss seat to.

I was pretty pleased at how my king cat went, and many people told me not to buy it either so i'm not to worried.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
I know, cause it sounds like your leaning towards the 1000, you might go against the majority. However, having owned and a RT 1000 05, they do pull hard, and I did have a lot of fun on that sled. But you did need to know what you were doing to try and get it to do technical stuff. Also, if the snow is light and fluffy, your fudged, theres a good chance the 600s will be spanking you. However if the snow is set up a bit, God himself wont dare go as high as that sled will take you. Having said that, I blew it up twice, with no real mods done to it. Its been my experience that those engines don't hold up well when you start throwing mod parts at them. So if you not a die hard and want to leave it as it is and not ride it to the max, go for it, the sleds indistructable as far as jumps, bumps, and rolls go. But if you gonna ride it to the edge (as well as technical edge), I'd stay away from it. Than again, maybe its just me.

Zig Zag

Reaction score
I have an 08 XP and an 06 RT with a 07 with 1000 SDI engine bleew the first one. 07 block has had no problems. Simplest way I can explain it is the 1000 has PULL Don't get me wrong the 800 pulls but not like the 1L. At a stand still with good snow conditions the 1000 will put your stomach to your throught in about.3 sec's. The 1000 is also SDI injection means easy turbo applications. I hear there have been some problems turboing 800's carbs and turbo's alot tougher to dial in. Good luck and happy hunting:firefire::beerchug:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think I will ever consider a cat again. I cannot stand how the M-series is a 15 wide track, and how they are setup under the hood. Even my king cat, I hated the design of many things. And people want a fortune for their cats here.

I decieded on a sled, 06 RT1000 162" for $5000. Sled looks like it came from the factory and has a boondocker box, can, and geared down. Has proof of the sled being completely gone threw like clean clutches etc.

You are right I don't think i'd really be disappionted with a 800 or a 1000, but I think the 1000 will be better for me. It already has a can to reduce some weight, and I think I can afford a new boss seat to.

I was pretty pleased at how my king cat went, and many people told me not to buy it either so i'm not to worried.

I'm not sure why you started this topic since you already have your mind made up. I think there are alot of people with experience with the 1000's and most say stay away, but there's always a chance you get a good 1000 that doesn't have many trouble. Good luck with the RT though, they have tons of power...

The 15" track is good for the mountains, not sure why you "cannot stand" how bad the tracks are. There aren't many people that complain about it...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you started this topic since you already have your mind made up. I think there are alot of people with experience with the 1000's and most say stay away, but there's always a chance you get a good 1000 that doesn't have many trouble. Good luck with the RT though, they have tons of power...

The 15" track is good for the mountains, not sure why you "cannot stand" how bad the tracks are. There aren't many people that complain about it...

15 wide track= a LOT less surface area. A 162 m series has approx the same surface area as a 151x16. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a long track to me.

I didn't have my mind made up. My biggest concern about the 1000 was relieability. After posting this on several forums and a ton of research I decieded the 06 got a ton of problems fixed, and with a bit of work the sled shouldn't have any issues, or atleast not anymore then a 800. Absolutely everyone says the 1000 has good power if it is running right, and I have lots of time till the snow flies, I am pretty confident with a bit of work I can make sure it will hook up great. Because everyone agrees what is a good thing to do to get them running great.

Top Bottom