YFZ 450 with a Banshee motor

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on this set-up? Would the engine brackets be hard to build? I seen a picture once but it had drag pipes. I would like to know if this set-up is possible with inframe pipes ?

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on this set-up? Would the engine brackets be hard to build? I seen a picture once but it had drag pipes. I would like to know if this set-up is possible with inframe pipes ?

yes it is possible and in this months dirt wheels they did a story on pikes peak and on of the quads was a yfz450 with a banshee motor and in frames.....it looks cools but if your not a welder or fabricator i could see it getting expensive fast,

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few people have done the conversion successfully. The one major things to fabricate is the exhaust as it doesn't fit past the frame rails on the yfz 450.

There was one guy on bansheehq.com that did the conversion with a PV'ed RZ 350 engine that turned out sweet. Do a search for it. He had taken lots of pictures of the build.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scrambler X. TheCR500 or the YZ490 are good motors but vibrate too much. I like the sound of a twin two smoker. Thanks DREWSKI for the info? Are you coming out to the Shoot-out?

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scrambler X. TheCR500 or the YZ490 are good motors but vibrate too much. I like the sound of a twin two smoker. Thanks DREWSKI for the info? Are you coming out to the Shoot-out?

Hey, no problem. Yeah I would like to be at the shoot out but that is all depending on whether or not I receive parts in time.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd use a powervalved RZ350 motor. Cables , batery needed. I've seen the exaust port an they are very small. I think just putting a regular banshhe motor would be way easier, plus if it ran great in your shee frame then you shouldn't have to tune it. You could then always get some cub cylinders in the future if you need more power.I got a buddy who put a PV RZ motor in an old banshee frame and it was quite fun finding all working parts and to rewire everything so everything works.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd use a powervalved RZ350 motor. Cables , batery needed. I've seen the exaust port an they are very small. I think just putting a regular banshhe motor would be way easier, plus if it ran great in your shee frame then you shouldn't have to tune it. You could then always get some cub cylinders in the future if you need more power.I got a buddy who put a PV RZ motor in an old banshee frame and it was quite fun finding all working parts and to rewire everything so everything works.

Yes I agree. I think a nice ported shee motor would be just fine. Have you heard about the new "serval cat" cylinders from CP? They look the same as "cubs", but with lower port timings. The first ever run on one ran 80HP and 50flbs of torque, running on pump fuel, +4 timing, 34mm carbs and some pipes that I can't remember. I'm thinking I might be selling my cylinders for a set of these.

Stillrockingabanshee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweet new project man, just go for it IMO, work out the bugs as you go along lol. Anyways, Drag pipes would be your best bet for this project, unless you have someone to cut up some banshee pipes to fit in the yfz frame, which is not an easy thing. Running some drag pipes on it would looks sick, and perform great

tall-twin77

Reaction score
the cr500 and yz490 soud great, but the banshee motor would be fine for me. in this dirtwheels i had they built a banshee with efi said it ran smoother faster and handled better. just a thought. good luck with your project!

tall-twin77

Reaction score
the cr500 and yz490 sound great, but the banshee motor would be fine for me. in this dirtwheels i had they built a banshee with efi said it ran smoother faster and handled better. just a thought. good luck with your banshee !!

Top Bottom