XP Primary disassembly

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
install puller, a few threads, and hit with a brass hammer, comes right apart

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've tried the smashing on the floor trick several times but I am still getting nowhere.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the floor once and it didn't work and didn't want to continually take chips out of the floor. I thread the puller in as fredw explains and leave 1/4 inch or so of threads then put it in a bit of a headlock with my left arm and give the puller a good crack with the right. You have to give it a pretty good smack but it will work...use a decent size hammer. You want to hold onto the outer part of the clutch not the narrow inside piece as it is the inside piece that will pop loose.

The other way you can do it is block it up with some boards so that the inside of the wider sheave is sitting on the boards and the narrow inside piece (the one that is closest to the crank) is hanging free...thread puller as described above and use hammer...it is a bit of messing around with boards...I prefer the headlock method. Good luck. Don't forget about the timing marks or just mark it up with a marker.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the smack it on the floor method you have to really commit first smack everytime for me.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need the puller. Just screw it into the primary and drop the clutch onto a concrete floor (pulller of course). About 1-1.5' will doo it.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had been laying a piece of heavy rubber on the floor, then I tried a 1*4 to smack the puller on and protect the cement. Neither of these worked. I then laid a piece of flat iron on the floor and two whacks and she came apart.

The bolt that holds the clutch on should work in place of the puller. Possibility of damaging it though.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to get it apart without the puller?

You may want to take the original bolt and go buy a longer one. That way you can smack it without fear of damaging the head.

It does take considerable force to separate.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with clutch on bench.
start to insert puller.
Count each thread as turning in then once the puller is through, screw back out 1/2 of the threads.

What you are doing is making sure the puller threads is in the middle of the threads

If you have to lift the clutch over your head to smash it on the floor, then do so. You can't heat the governor cup rubber, don't want to damage the rubber at all.
I leave my office and go down to the main floor out on the street and bash the clutch on the sidewalk.

Top Bottom