Primary Stuck Open

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2nd day of riding last weekend I ran into a bit of a hole. Enough to stop me fairly hard but not enough to pop me off the sled. Pulled the sled out and fired it up. Sounded like something stuck in the track. Turned out the primary clutch was stuck fully open and would only engage at high rpms. The belt was rattling between the sheaves. I got it back to the truck and thought maybe the spring broke. I did a rebuild in March last year so new buttons, new spring and had to replace one of the arms. The next day loading it onto the trailer it ran fine and the clutch worked properly.
I'll pop it off tomorrow and pull it apart but until then, wondering what could cause it to stick like that.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also check the secondary. Could it be that it is stuck partially open causing similar symptoms? The rollers are notorious for breaking and the shock from your get off could have been the cause.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also check the secondary. Could it be that it is stuck partially open causing similar symptoms? The rollers are notorious for breaking and the shock from your get off could have been the cause.
It is the secondary clutch. Thanks!

Reactions: zal

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help. I'd highly recommend Hi Torque Rollers. Don't overlook the tiny roll pin retaining the bolt if you haven't done these before.

Last edited:
  • Recommends
Reactions: zal

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rollers were both busted. Ordered the pins and have a set of high torque rollers in the toolbox. I need new pivot studs too. I have wear spots on both.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like pins are not needed anymore. The pair I picked up from Basecamp do not have a hole for the pin.

Top Bottom