Battery maintenance in cold weather travel

Grouser

Reaction score
Any tricks on how to protect a battery from freezing if electric start sled is being transported long distances in icy weather on a trailer or sled deck? Is the only option remove the battery?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Any tricks on how to protect a battery from freezing if electric start sled is being transported long distances in icy weather on a trailer or sled deck? Is the only option remove the battery?
Never had a problem even at 25 to 30 below. I would sometimes drive for an hour to get to the staging area.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had a charged battery freeze in a sled.
Now a dead or near dead battery is a different story.
Tarp to protect the whole sled and head down the road!

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lightweight lithium batteries don't like the cold and often aren't up to the job first start on a cold morning. A healthy lead-acid battery will be fine at any rideable weather.

sledneck_joe

Reaction score
We had a trailer full of e start Summit XM’s that didn’t want to start after a -40 drive years ago. No pull start on those sleds so we jumped them with the truck, let em warm up and had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel if a etec won't start its to cold to go riding. How cold does it have to be for a sled not to start?

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel if a etec won't start its to cold to go riding. How cold does it have to be for a sled not to start?
Pretty darn cold i say, we would take the e-start off on sleds/quads when we sent truckloads to northern manitoba or NWT or Iqaluit they did not want those. I have seen sleds sit overnight in -30+ and start for those folks even if it was a few pulls. Lead Acid by far, good for -70 if you can ride in that then your better than most lol!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the battery has a good state of charge. It will not be a problem, if its -20c ambient Its still -20 to a battery on the deck at highway speed.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had four stroke sleds for over 15 years. The only time I had an issue was when I used a lightweight battery. It did not like the cold.
Also, at -34°C…they did not want to start too easy. Then again, I didn’t push it cause I too, did not want to start at -34°C.

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember 1 trip with turbotodd as we passed jasper in to the pass the truck read -43 we looked at each other and said it will be warmer in Valemount was -33 turbo fourstoke started but I take care of my batteries

Grouser

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Reason I ask is I want to head Manitoba way in January. Likely to be -20. Last time I did this the sled battery was dead when I got there. Not sure how old that battery was as I bought that sled used. Now with a new sled and new battery, wondering if I would have the same issue.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Reason I ask is I want to head Manitoba way in January. Likely to be -20. Last time I did this the sled battery was dead when I got there. Not sure how old that battery was as I bought that sled used. Now with a new sled and new battery, wondering if I would have the same issue.
As everyone else has said, a fully charged battery in good condition isn't going to let you down. It's the batteries left unmaintained for a summer or two that are more likely to become sulfated and lose their charge and freeze prematurely.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to Mcbride dec 2014 and it was -40 at home, -43 in mcbride, took 8 hours to get there, arrived at 9-10 at night, and our 2015 cat sleds which were brand new wouldn’t start with the e start in the morning, the 4 new 2015 t3’s e starts that our buddies had also would not start. We had ropes so no big deal, but it’s definitely possible to freeze them shitty sled batteries, ours were both full charged when we left Whitecourt and were brand new. However I bought a Polaris general from a guy east of Regina almost on Manitoba border and it was -35. Loaded it up went to Saskatoon for 3 days , then drove back to Whitecourt and that thing started right up and it was -35 or colder every day it was on the trailer.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little bit of clarification on this.
A fully charged battery will not freeze, as it is not water but electrolyte (water/acid solution mix)inside your battery. Electrolyte does not freeze. BUT a discharged battery will freeze, as in a discharged state the electrolyte solution, water/acid starts to separate in a discharged condition and the water then will freeze damaging the battery plates and case.
The size of battery makes no difference.
So why does a battery become difficult in cold weather as mentioned above?
Electrolyte activity becomes sluggish(the ability to move current) as the temperature drops and the colder it gets. It also requires more AMPS to push current through starter cabling.
To the OP, keep the battery fully charged, if you know its going to be exceptionally cold, pull the batteries and keep them indoor or in a warm area while in travel. During the day a battery kept warm no matter how cold it is will work.
Hope that helps

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U go riding in -40 sounds crazy

We used to lol, that whole trip was inversion weather, was like -15 at riding elevation. Damn cold trail rides up and down though haha

Top Bottom