XP Driveshafts

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brother took his to Riverside and they are charging him $200 to weld......no cover by BRP.......they are still denying this has happened. Someone from their shop should get online and doo a little reading....sales may be down next year!!!!!! Gearing and clutching updates to be done at no charge.
Are they welding it in the chasis or is that 200.00 to pull it out and weld it and put it back in?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what they are doing, he just said $200 for preventative maitenance welding. Have to call him and ask, his is not the only sled there. Someone else doing the same thing. Good time to save receipts.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No thats to prep shaft and drill and weld.. It's not that bad to pull out the skid on them though. It is 18bolts and she'll slide out nice and slick like.. Oh yah and i forgot the 2 snap rings.

Last edited:

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the first i've heard of them pickin up a bird bill. I cant seethe mdoing that. I heard tht they arenteven really warrantying alot of the shafts that are breaking, not sure about that.. Alls i know is that we welded up the bosses turb drieshaft before it broke.. e've acully ha a w people brng the shafts in for welding now. ause if thepull teh shaft ut t' iesnt takeus hatlog to drill the appropriate holes in shaft then tig weld them up again andyour good to go.
Oh Crap! Glen what are you drinking?:D...ease up when you type.J/K around...and thinks for the info on the shafts

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
I don't know what skidoo is thinking they need to pick up these bills that is part of the warranty, I don't know why but I get the feeling that every question at the dealer about problems is being danced around, I know they are trying to sell sleds but a little bit of customer service might be just as good, I am fine that the sled had a problem or two everything today has that but what makes me nervous about buying one is brp doesn't seem to be taking responsibility for the problems that they are having.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am fine that the sled had a problem or two everything today has that but what makes me nervous about buying one is brp doesn't seem to be taking responsibility for the problems that they are having.
Are you sure BRP isn`t fixing these things that are broken. I know there have been broken driveshaft, and I seen some videos of guys breaking them. In one video a guy broke his shaft but he was jumping the sled. If you look at it from a business why would they warrenty something that was abused. If the shafts do break under a normal use( not turboed, not jumping 50 foot gap or cornesses ) trail riding or hill climbing then I think Brp should pick up the bill for whatever it thats to get that sled fix. Has anyone talked to their dealer about 'what if a shaft breaks, is it covered?'. We are getting alot of internet hipe and guys freaking out before they even check with their dealer about repairs.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Theres a TON of info on the net about this preventive maintenance welding. After doing a little research I prepped and drilled my own holes in the drive shaft and had a very qualified welder buddy cap weld the holes. It took me about 45 min. to prep and drill and it took him a total of 15 mins. to do the cap welding. All in all it cost me 2 beers and I learned a little more about my machine and I don't have to worry about it no more. Just get it done and don't pay $150-$200. look at some pictures and get out your drill. Even if you have to take it to a welding shop for the welding I really can't see them charging an hour and a half for a 15 min. job. my 4 cents

ps. brp is not paying for heli-rides and the only thing BRP is making public is a race bullitin that states that guys that are racing thier machines must have the welding done inorder to enter an event.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If broken BRP will fix, they won't pay if not broken. I would save receipts just in case there is a recall and refund. Not a dealer issue as they can't do more than allowed by BRP unless dealer picks up the cost. I offered to weld my brothers sled but he wanted it done by dealer so there are no future issues with work done.

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
that is the problem with the driveshafts breaking is alot of the dealers are saying that they were being jumped etc, the one that I seen first hand was just normal riding nothing stupid. These sleds are being marketed as a backcountry mountain machine it needs to stand up to that type of abuse, if the problem is happening Brp needs to get on the ball and issue a recall and get it fixed up. there are numerous web forums out there and I had the thought that they were isolated instances that were being spread rapidly but there seems to be more and more instances of guys breaking them, every post means lost sales for brp. just my 2 cents.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there, another thing about the drive shafts.. If you have yours welded and it breaks by some chance you will have to buy the new one. In a race bulletin brp states that if a shaft has been welded it will not be warrantied in way shape or form no matter what happens to it.. It's been modified from it's original form.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Hey there, another thing about the drive shafts.. If you have yours welded and it breaks by some chance you will have to buy the new one. In a race bulletin brp states that if a shaft has been welded it will not be warrantied in way shape or form no matter what happens to it.. It's been modified from it's original form.

warranty is only as good as your dealer :D

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah. but this info came straight from martin.. Cause brp will not warranty the shaft, so it will be your dealer footing the bill not brp.. So yah if your dealer's willing to foot the bill then your right on that..

I also found out that the new 1200cc 4stroke will be in a short track version only...

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
I heard back from the guy I know that got the bird to pickup his xp with the broken driveshaft, BRP is really stepping up for him they are re-embursing him for the heli ride as well as his room for the night and any other costs incurred

I was pretty shocked to hear all of that but they said they would cover off for anything he had a reciept for, pretty good news I think.....it is changing my view of skidoo alot way to go!!!!!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I heard back from the guy I know that got the bird to pickup his xp with the broken driveshaft, BRP is really stepping up for him they are re-embursing him for the heli ride as well as his room for the night and any other costs incurred

I was pretty shocked to hear all of that but they said they would cover off for anything he had a reciept for, pretty good news I think.....it is changing my view of skidoo alot way to go!!!!!

thats good to hear

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
That is B.S. there no way that BRP would pick up the air ride unless the guy was the owner of a dealer ship if this is true there is going to be alot of peaple lokking for some money

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt.. That has to be the dealership picking up the tab.. Brp wouldn't do it, cause then they would have to do it for everyone.. And alkso then whats to limit it ti just when a driveshaft breaks. How about when a motor craters thats under warranty or a dess post quits.. It would all be the same, you couldn't drive your sled out.. That would cost brp countless of thousands of dollars..

GRD

Reaction score
I tend to agree that it must be the dealer....

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
he had to submit all reciepts to skidoo head office...he hasn't gotten the check yet but the dealer talked to skidoo directly while he was on speaker with him standing there and they told him that it would be covered. Who knows it might get rejected but as of now he is told he will be re-embursed for all costs.

Top Bottom