XP Driveshafts

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But yah the M8 should be about 460-470lbs dry for "09 and the M1000 should be 480-490lbs dry...

If Cat drops the weight then reliability will suffer. (Wow, I used Cat and reliability in the same sentence! LOL ) Their M series work well, hopefully they don't go to far with the weight savings. Doo went a little to far, hopefully they fix their gremlins before they stick something bigger than an 800 in the XP. Until then I'm keeping my Rev. If they sort out their issues and put the 1000 back in service with good fuel delivery(a lot of if's to sort out) you won't find a stocker that will keep up.Just my unbiased:D opinion.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Westlock now reports two drive shaft failures out of 130 (approx) sleds sold. Still no warranty supported update or recall. This sucks.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe Canadians can boycott BRP in order to get the same type of fair pricing and quality of service as our American counterparts........:rolleyes:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Cat drops the weight then reliability will suffer. (Wow, I used Cat and reliability in the same sentence! LOL ) Their M series work well, hopefully they don't go to far with the weight savings. Doo went a little to far, hopefully they fix their gremlins before they stick something bigger than an 800 in the XP. Until then I'm keeping my Rev. If they sort out their issues and put the 1000 back in service with good fuel delivery(a lot of if's to sort out) you won't find a stocker that will keep up.Just my unbiased:D opinion.

Oh dont worry cat will be lighter for '09 it's just a question of how much. Just like doo will be heavier in '09( at least we hope for strength).. But you know what there are things that i like about both sleds... But i agree that i hope they dont go the doo way and sacrifice strength for weight.. Cause i like to ride em like i stole em.. My old modded mach was either to the bar or on the brake.. The theory of never lift... I think i'd kill an Xp in a weekend if i went with that theory.. But i think that next year will be a really competetive ye art for cat and doo.. Polarass and Yam are going to have to stepo up to the plate.. I think you may see a bigger 2stroke in the Xp chasis for '10 but you wont in '09...

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
But i think that next year will be a really competetive ye art for cat and doo.. Polarass and Yam are going to have to stepo up to the plate..

Is not the 08 Dragon holding together & competitive with the others ?

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh dont worry cat will be lighter for '09 it's just a question of how much. Just like doo will be heavier in '09( at least we hope for strength).. But you know what there are things that i like about both sleds... But i agree that i hope they dont go the doo way and sacrifice strength for weight.. Cause i like to ride em like i stole em.. My old modded mach was either to the bar or on the brake.. The theory of never lift... I think i'd kill an Xp in a weekend if i went with that theory.. But i think that next year will be a really competetive ye art for cat and doo.. Polarass and Yam are going to have to stepo up to the plate.. I think you may see a bigger 2stroke in the Xp chasis for '10 but you wont in '09...

What has broken because of strength? a few driveshafts, but there's no reason they couldn't have a better designed shaft. none of the new sleds will be able to tag stumps and rocks like the old 1M could.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know. The biggest thing that i don't like about the Xp's are the fact that buying a used one if you dont know nexactly what to look for you could end up buying one that is bent and not even know it.. And it seems that the new ones dont just bend a nunn like the old rev's when they bend they take out the whole bulkhead and tunnel.. Ive got three insurance joibs on the go right now..The "08 cat is way tougher than the XP..

DragonCFI

Reaction score
I have seen the update from doo because a couple people where i work race. And ski doo sent out a modification for them to take out there drive shaft and drill some holes and plug weld it. I can't remember all the information but it did say something about bearins being able to come loose or something. I could ask the guy at work if he still has the sheet.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know. The biggest thing that i don't like about the Xp's are the fact that buying a used one if you dont know nexactly what to look for you could end up buying one that is bent and not even know it.. And it seems that the new ones dont just bend a nunn like the old rev's when they bend they take out the whole bulkhead and tunnel.. Ive got three insurance joibs on the go right now..The "08 cat is way tougher than the XP..
not being a dick or anything, but there is prolly 3X as many XP's out there than M series sleds in '08. I have personally seen 2 of my buddies ghost their XP's through the trees on climbs gone bad and the worst was a bent upper a-arm, and it was still rideable. saw one XP at the dealer that stroked a culvert at speed and the damage was limited to the replaceable front end parts. I think any sled will bend the tunnel if ya hit something hard enough and in the right spot.

I have seen the update from doo because a couple people where i work race. And ski doo sent out a modification for them to take out there drive shaft and drill some holes and plug weld it. I can't remember all the information but it did say something about bearins being able to come loose or something. I could ask the guy at work if he still has the sheet.
screen shot of the PDF from 'Doo on driveshaft mod...
tipsheet.jpg

tipsheet2.jpg

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey teeroy.. Do you happen to know that in the past like 3 weeks i've replaced three chasis in the XP cause they were bent.. It's not so much the tunnel.. It's the cast peices that take up flex nad can break things like chaincase mounts mounting tabs for the side cast peices. And the front "nuns" where bent to one side.. And yet to look at the machine you couldn't see and wrinkles or bends in the aluminum... All of the sleds hit rocks... I never said that they were the only one's that bend now did I!!!!!!! SO hows about you just get your pannties out of there knot... CXause we've been fixing the driveshafts for a longtime now.. And futher more do you know how many XP's BRP sold for "08, It's 37,000 and accoirding to brp only 1.2% had a driveshaft issue. But how many were welded....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey teeroy.. Do you happen to know that in the past like 3 weeks i've replaced three chasis in the XP cause they were bent.. It's not so much the tunnel.. It's the cast peices that take up flex nad can break things like chaincase mounts mounting tabs for the side cast peices. And the front "nuns" where bent to one side.. And yet to look at the machine you couldn't see and wrinkles or bends in the aluminum... All of the sleds hit rocks... I never said that they were the only one's that bend now did I!!!!!!! SO hows about you just get your pannties out of there knot... CXause we've been fixing the driveshafts for a longtime now.. And futher more do you know how many XP's BRP sold for "08, It's 37,000 and accoirding to brp only 1.2% had a driveshaft issue. But how many were welded....
lol....my panties aren't in a bunch, I wear a thong. :D

what do you consider the "chassis"? in my up north, no snowmobile repair training, miniscule but functioning mind, it is the sum of all parts. if Cat had come out with a revolutionary light weight chassis everyone has been demanding that was gobbled up like the XP, you would be fixing them instead I'm sure. rocks haven't changed for a few billion years, but snowmobilers will not stand for that type of stagnance in their machines.

I'm just trying to point out that they are not as fragile as everyone that doesn't ride one is saying. they are not without their problems, but I would rather do something about it than complain. I welded my driveshaft so I would reduce the likelihood of a failure a long ways from the truck before 'Doo came out with their welding suggestion, instead of worrying about when it would fail. when it bogged in the deep snow, I built my own fresh air intake mod instead of whining about it. when it was blowing belts, I changed the gearing and clutching on my own dime long before 'Doo came out with their warranty updates instead of crying about it. and I have posted every single mod I've done in the hopes that someone else may make use of it if they so choose.

I know how to abuse a sled, and have wrecked a few in my time. I prefer to spend my time riding and not having to worry about what's posted on the net, and do so with an ear to ear grin. my proactive measures have resulted in over 600 miles of trouble free riding on my XP, how many miles do you have on one?

when Cat comes out with their bulletproof, rock and stump resistant lightweight mountain sled that sells like Tim Horton's double doubles you can then say "I told you so...."

until then, enjoy what's left of winter. I will be.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully no body on this site is a test rider for any of the sled builders. But here is a twist cause I'am not brand loyal. How do the test riders for the builders spend their time? How can A/C sent out their product and decide it needs to come back 2/3rds into the season because they have a lean spot at 5000 rpm in the ecu. How could they send out a tunnel in 07 that had running boards you could strain spagetti with. How does Doo sent out a machine that eats cranks, has leaky gas tank and wrecks drive shafts. Last year why did Poo get set to build a big block and then publicly admit we cant get the vibration and other issues figured out, so we give up. The costs of this failed attempt will be added to every Dragon we sell. I cant take a shot at Yammy cuz when we do a Yammy in the past 2 years, its stripped down and not a Yammy in the end. Guys who own stock Yammys will have their own stories no doubt.
The list goes on and on. They are out there riding and testing the 2010 sleds and possibly the 2011 sleds right now.
Did the Cat testers not test in powder snow in 06 so the foot boards wouldn't plug?
Did the Doo tester not use full throttle so to save the driveshaft and crank?
Did the Poo tester tell the engineer the vibration made his ipod skip.

None of these machines are cheap and it always amazes me how they get to the production line with so many fawk ups still attached to them. Rant over and I'd like to say I like them all..............but LIKE is as far as I will go:D

Well said... I've always wanted to say it like you just did, but with my own twist? :D My theory is let the guys who are willing to spend the money on the new iron be the Test Pilots and R&D dudes! I'll pick up the second year "improved" model thanks! I do wish I could afford the newest stuff though... I love wrenching in the shop. If I could afford the latest & greatest every year I would jump all over it!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

Does Ken know that your acually doing sales on here for Deano670... Deano hope you'll take good care of my xp while your working on it. :D:D

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One could say " This one time at SLED camp I shoved my foot so far in my own MOUTH":nono:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have another question. How long have you been working in the industry and where did you work prior to being at SPECIALTY:confused:

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Teeroy ;)

what do you consider the "chassis"? in my up north, no snowmobile repair training, miniscule but functioning mind, it is the sum of all parts. if Cat had come out with a revolutionary light weight chassis everyone has been demanding that was gobbled up like the XP, you would be fixing them instead I'm sure. rocks haven't changed for a few billion years, but snowmobilers will not stand for that type of stagnance in their machines.

I'm just trying to point out that they are not as fragile as everyone that doesn't ride one is saying. they are not without their problems, but I would rather do something about it than complain. I welded my driveshaft so I would reduce the likelihood of a failure a long ways from the truck before 'Doo came out with their welding suggestion, instead of worrying about when it would fail. when it bogged in the deep snow, I built my own fresh air intake mod instead of whining about it. when it was blowing belts, I changed the gearing and clutching on my own dime long before 'Doo came out with their warranty updates instead of crying about it. and I have posted every single mod I've done in the hopes that someone else may make use of it if they so choose.

I know how to abuse a sled, and have wrecked a few in my time. I prefer to spend my time riding and not having to worry about what's posted on the net, and do so with an ear to ear grin. my proactive measures have resulted in over 600 miles of trouble free riding on my XP, how many miles do you have on one?

when Cat comes out with their bulletproof, rock and stump resistant lightweight mountain sled that sells like Tim Horton's double doubles you can then say "I told you so...."

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have another question. How long have you been working in the industry and where did you work prior to being at SPECIALTY:confused:

I've been in the industry for over 15years. I've worked at shops that sold artic cat, skidoo, honda, kawasaki. And also i have my skidoo technicians ticket aswell... This dealerships were at two different shops... How about you deano???

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree that they are not as fragile as everyone including myself had originally expected.. The part that i thought would be the weakest was the rails, and i havnt seen any come to the shop bent yet.. I think that it's great to hear that you fixed the issues with your sled before doo did.. That way you are able to set your sled up exactly how you want it.. I agree that no manufacturer makes a bullet proof sled, otherwise everyone would own it.. But Cat has it's D/D issues and clutching issues, like doo and there driveshafts or clutching... And i dont care what sled you own if you hit an object that dont move and is hard something is going to bend...

Last edited:
Top Bottom