XP Driveshafts

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you worked at the Honda dealership was there any discussion of a Honda sled? If yes do tell please.:)

Actually it's funny cause honda has been building prototype sleds for like 20 years.. Not sure why none have ever made it into production.. The proto types are sitting in a wharehouse down in vancouver last i knew anyways.. But the rumor is that honda has bought polaris sled division now.. So not to sure what will happen if that turns out to be true..

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been in the industry for over 15years. I've worked at shops that sold artic cat, skidoo, honda, kawasaki. And also i have my skidoo technicians ticket aswell... This dealerships were at two different shops... How about you deano???

Ummm I read it in a book!!! Oh wait wait I saw it on snowmobiler television once to:D;)

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually it's funny cause honda has been building prototype sleds for like 20 years.. Not sure why none have ever made it into production.. The proto types are sitting in a wharehouse down in vancouver last i knew anyways.. But the rumor is that honda has bought polaris sled division now.. So not to sure what will happen if that turns out to be true..

Guess that would make it a "POLONDA" or a HONDARIS

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well MY DRIVESHAFT is running TRUE and SMOOOOOTH:D With no augmentation's or modifications.:p

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I must be lucky... So far I've had no issues with the drive shaft. The dealer I bought the sled from told me "they had encountered 1 break in over a hundred sleds sold about 1%"

I've tested my sled pretty had... if and when the driveshaft breaks... its going back for warranty work... including the cost of a chopper if it was needed.

BRP can assume the repair cost at $13000 (GST incl)/sled....

Had to tow an XP with a broken driveshaft on the weekend and there are two XP's in our group. My brother called his dealer on how to fix before this happens to him and they denied that this is happening saying out of 400 sleds they have never seen this....I call B.S. Took about 3hrs to get the sled out and he was one unhappy DOO DEALERSHIP OWNER but a super nice guy, he paid for everybody's (8 counting his own)supper and drinks and we had quite a few. Ther was a thread that had pictures of someones fix of drilling and plug welding the driveshaft, can someone post where this was. Thanks.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I must be lucky... So far I've had no issues with the drive shaft. The dealer I bought the sled from told me "they had encountered 1 break in over a hundred sleds sold about 1%"

I've tested my sled pretty had... if and when the driveshaft breaks... its going back for warranty work... including the cost of a chopper if it was needed.

BRP can assume the repair cost at $13000 (GST incl)/sled....
The only problem with your plan is the fact that BRP wont anty up for the chopper bill. And Brp has only had 1.2% of the XP's sold had an issue, But they sold 37,000 units this year.. I was told that any driveshafts made after nov is alright.. They had a proble mwith the metal being used, was causing issues when welded..

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying...

My thought process revolves around BRP being the designer and builder of the sled... It was bought new... Therefore they are laible for all incurred costs with associated with extracting it from the location it failed at including legal...

BRP is no differnent that Ford, GM or Goodyear tires..... Its a design defect pure and simple... no court in the land would find in their favour.

So then the choice becomes theirs... step up to the plate and be a great corporate citizen within a billion dollar per year industry and do a recall, fixing the problem or.... head to court... with interest accumulating...

The only problem with your plan is the fact that BRP wont anty up for the chopper bill. And Brp has only had 1.2% of the XP's sold had an issue, But they sold 37,000 units this year.. I was told that any driveshafts made after nov is alright.. They had a proble mwith the metal being used, was causing issues when welded..

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying...

My thought process revolves around BRP being the designer and builder of the sled... It was bought new... Therefore they are laible for all incurred costs with associated with extracting it from the location it failed at including legal...

BRP is no differnent that Ford, GM or Goodyear tires..... Its a design defect pure and simple... no court in the land would find in their favour.

So then the choice becomes theirs... step up to the plate and be a great corporate citizen within a billion dollar per year industry and do a recall, fixing the problem or.... head to court... with interest accumulating...

I understand what you are saying.. But according to BRP they only had 1.2% of the new sleds actually have a problem with the driveshaft, so the ydon't feel that it warrants a recall.. But when tyou look at the fact that they sold 37,000 units this year it still adds up to like 444 units that had driveshaft issues.. They also say that any that were made after nov. are good and wont have an issue.. It still dont help the guys out that have one from before nov.. So i dont know..

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if they redesigned the driveshaft (or reworked) they should cover all costs or send someone to fix it where it sits...they brake under normal use so brp shouldnt have that much of an issue in covering the repair costs ...it is afterall under warranty is it not... the courts would side very quickly with the sled owner on this......

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They say some had poor material that they were made of.. If something goes wrong with the driveshaft they will fix under warranty no problem, i just doint beleive that they would pay for chopper bill.. Cause technically them if anything happened to a new sled they'd have to pay for it.. As would any other sled manufacturer.. Also i think that BRP has a bit of money to tie things up in court for quite a while if they so desired as well as i imagine they have some pretty good lawyers..

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got lucky. mine broke while backing out of my trailer after this past trip. Martin has had 6 out of 450ish sleds sold.

Top Bottom