XP Driveshafts

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to tow an XP with a broken driveshaft on the weekend and there are two XP's in our group. My brother called his dealer on how to fix before this happens to him and they denied that this is happening saying out of 400 sleds they have never seen this....I call B.S. Took about 3hrs to get the sled out and he was one unhappy DOO DEALERSHIP OWNER but a super nice guy, he paid for everybody's (8 counting his own)supper and drinks and we had quite a few. Ther was a thread that had pictures of someones fix of drilling and plug welding the driveshaft, can someone post where this was. Thanks.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey 'Snochuk'.... The pictures are posted in the Skidoo forum by 'Teeroy', The thread is 08 XP Owners.

GRD

Reaction score
Had to tow an XP with a broken driveshaft on the weekend and there are two XP's in our group. My brother called his dealer on how to fix before this happens to him and they denied that this is happening saying out of 400 sleds they have never seen this....I call B.S. Took about 3hrs to get the sled out and he was one unhappy DOO DEALERSHIP OWNER but a super nice guy, he paid for everybody's (8 counting his own)supper and drinks and we had quite a few. Ther was a thread that had pictures of someones fix of drilling and plug welding the driveshaft, can someone post where this was. Thanks.

My bosses buddy had to have his XP choppered out because of a broken drive shaft.

Attachments

• Sled 07'08' 080.jpg
    Sled 07'08' 080.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 281

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Where was the picture taken.... Cool Shot, But one doesnot like to see to many of them cause they cost big bucks :(

GRD

Reaction score
Where was the picture taken.... Cool Shot, But one doesnot like to see to many of them cause they cost big bucks :(

Somewhere in Sicamous... I'll find out what area.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey 'Snochuk'.... The pictures are posted in the Skidoo forum by 'Teeroy', The thread is 08 XP Owners.
there is a PDF floating around on dootalk from BRP race department now, ISR has mandated that ALL Ski Doo XP's used in race applications must have their driveshafts welded before being allowed in any ISR governed competition. their instuctions are to drill 4-10mm holes exactly 10mm from the edge of the tube shaft where it meets the splined insert.
tipsheet.jpg

tipsheet2.jpg

makes me feel better about welding mine. the best way is to remove the shaft and have a reputable welder tig weld it in place. heard one report so far about a mig weld that has failed due to poor penetration of the mig because of a cold weld.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to Mig weld it you should pre heat the shaft first.
not according to our welder (ticketed journeyman), but if you feel better doing that go ahead. just remember that both plastic plugs in the ends of the shaft will have to be removed if preheating. the gear side plug has the magnets for the speedo pickup inside of it.

edit: sorry...noticed that you said mig......my bad....disregard

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do you XP owners have to find your own way to repair this problem? Should'nt BRP be bending over backwards to supply you guys with replacement Driveshafts (improved design and quality) and pay for the labour as well... ASAP! Afterall what did you guys spend on this machine? Just my :twocents:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I was wondering about that also 'Scotty'. I don't know bout the XP cause I am in the dark ages & ride a Polaris ! :D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I was wondering about that also 'Scotty'. I don't know bout the XP cause I am in the dark ages & ride a Polaris ! :D
OKAY, BIGGY... THAT'S WHY ON THE MOUNTAIN MANIA TRIP WE HAD TWO POLARIS'S COULN'T EVEN MAKE THE TRIP UP(TOWED BACK - ENGINES), AND ONE CRATERED UP THERE(ANOTHER ENGINE) AND I HAD TO PULL ANOTHER ONE(BUGS'S ENGINE) DOWN THE LAST 4 KM FROM GORMAN..... HAD ENUF, OR SHOULD I CONTINUE..... LOL :D:D:D:D

GRD

Reaction score
That picture I posted was from Blue Lake in Sicamous, the flight cost $800.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are fixing drive shafts. Alls doo is doing is more or less paying like 1 1/2 hours labour to fix.. Some people are welding shaft while it's still in sled, i'm not a fan of that cause there are seals right there.. We just did up the bosses turbo xp drive shaft...

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First shipment of single pipes for the XP800 showed up yoday. They come ceramic coated to help with keeping the heat down under the hood...

Top Bottom