wow

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are many places in the mountains to sled safely. Education is the key. It's all about choices. Whether or not you make the good ones is up to you. To say to me that I should stay away from sledding when avy conditions are high is judgemental on your part.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are many places in the mountains to sled safely. Education is the key. It's all about choices. Whether or not you make the good ones is up to you. To say to me that I should stay away from sledding when avy conditions are high is judgemental on your part.

I agree with CUSO. We went ridin' yesterday. We didn't sled where we normally sled in the mountains due to the bad avy conditions, but we still went out and had an awesome day ridin' the trees, meadows, and cutblocks. There are still many places where you can ride in the mountains with relatively low risk at exposing yourself to avy dangers. I don't understand where the mentality comes from that this cannot be done. There are still risks every single time we go out sleddin', and not just from avy's! I would still much rather spend the day out sleddin' making the wisest choices I can make for me and my riding partners, than sitting at home on the internet criticizing those out there truly living and having a blast! :)

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went home friday i bet .. i came back sat night still carnage in the ditch

Yes Sir I did...HWY 22 was closed to truck and trailer traffic, so I had to go Fort Macleod and North from there. Just about got taken out by Cowley. The tail wind was great in most parts...120-130 kmph at about 6 L/100kms fuel consumption pulling a 30ft enclosed:D

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Yes Sir I did...HWY 22 was closed to truck and trailer traffic, so I had to go Fort Macleod and North from there. Just about got taken out by Cowley. The tail wind was great in most parts...120-130 kmph at about 6 L/100kms fuel consumption pulling a 30ft enclosed:D

We did that rodeo one year second hill going west just before Cowley totalled off a brand new trailer!!! Darn wind!

Jan

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like lots of viewers, thats good got ya thinking, sure there will be places ya can ride, although with the conditions at present ya are playing with a loaded gun. slides are falling without any sledder involvement, cac states alpine, tree line, below treeline are very prone to sliding, me personally i don't want to hear of another death, makes me sick. seems like no matter what ya post, there are always the nay sayers. again be safe, you are ultimately responsible for your own actions and life. i am simply amazed at some of the comments, anyway if everyone reassess where they ride, maybe this post is all good. who knows. Revy G may have the answers. I'm not betting on it though.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
Drinking and driving is stupid, they have laws against it and yet every day, people all over the world do it.
Running your croch rocket at 200km/h is stupid, they have laws against it, yet it happens all the time.
Using power tools without safety glasses ( even once ) is stupid and causes many injuries, and yet.....
High marking during high avy conditions is stupid, and it happens every year.

I don't get it, why are people so suprised when it happens. The beauty of being human is freedom of choice. We have the ability to recognize, asses, evaluate, and implement controls to reduce the hazards. Or just decide not to do it. Or throw caution to the wind and grip it and rip it. It's totally our choice. In the end People are going to do what they want, regardless. That's the appeal of the back country, no laws, no limits, just you against nature. Having said that, you have to be able to live with the consequence of your decisions!

If I see an unsafe act up there, I'll do what I can to educate, but I'm not going to judge or loose any sleep over it. It's their choice, just like it is to ride a bike with out a helmet, not wear a seat belt, or operate power tools without safety guards.

I understand the concern is government intervention, but people are going to do what they want. Besides, I'm just happy with the lower avy related deaths and decreased numbers barried in the same avy. Something must be getting threw!

In short, opinions are like butt holes, do what you can to educate and prevent, after that, don't get your panties in a bunch!

sledneckx69

Reaction score
P.S.

Does any one even know the circumstances of that avy, speaking of educating, I personally like to know those sort of details before I form any opinion!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drinking and driving is stupid, they have laws against it and yet every day, people all over the world do it.
Running your croch rocket at 200km/h is stupid, they have laws against it, yet it happens all the time.
Using power tools without safety glasses ( even once ) is stupid and causes many injuries, and yet.....
High marking during high avy conditions is stupid, and it happens every year.

I don't get it, why are people so suprised when it happens. The beauty of being human is freedom of choice. We have the ability to recognize, asses, evaluate, and implement controls to reduce the hazards. Or just decide not to do it. Or throw caution to the wind and grip it and rip it. It's totally our choice. In the end People are going to do what they want, regardless. That's the appeal of the back country, no laws, no limits, just you against nature. Having said that, you have to be able to live with the consequence of your decisions!

If I see an unsafe act up there, I'll do what I can to educate, but I'm not going to judge or loose any sleep over it. It's their choice, just like it is to ride a bike with out a helmet, not wear a seat belt, or operate power tools without safety guards.

I understand the concern is government intervention, but people are going to do what they want. Besides, I'm just happy with the lower avy related deaths and decreased numbers barried in the same avy. Something must be getting threw!

In short, opinions are like butt holes, do what you can to educate and prevent, after that, don't get your panties in a bunch!

great post, very true, we need to get people to think a little not just to follow the crowd. anyway good post.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I had no problem with what imdoo'n posted. A little harsh maybe, but alot of times that is the only way to get through to people. It got a lot of people talking and whether we all agree or not it got people thinking as well. I agree there are a lot of safe/safer areas to ride when during a considerable or high avy rating but there is still a risk, so we just can't sit back and say we will stick to the small hills or trees and we will be okay.

Chunk

Reaction score
If you're not educated or are uncomfortable stay off the mountain. Lots if safe alpine riding to be had. Don't understand why there are so many threads by obviously un educated people telling others how and when to ride.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I had no problem with what imdoo'n posted. A little harsh maybe, but alot of times that is the only way to get through to people. It got a lot of people talking and whether we all agree or not it got people thinking as well. I agree there are a lot of safe/safer areas to ride when during a considerable or high avy rating but there is still a risk, so we just can't sit back and say we will stick to the small hills or trees and we will be okay.

People are too quick to judge and jump on a comment and insinuate, and bash. All he wanted was sledders, him being one himself, to take heed of the warnings and come home in one piece. I was verbally spat at and beat up yesterday for a post I made along the same lines and it carried on over to this post, and Larry has suffered the same bashing............ I was big enough to apologize for my part on my thread as the thread took a nose dive...other's not so much. Larry is a watch out for people's safety guy and in no means ment to offend anyone.........he is just a caring person !!! Rode with him quadding and he's always looking out for those in his group, watching behind to ensure all are there :) He was, as I was, not out to offend anyone, but looking out for everyone's safety is all !

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the appeal of the back country, no laws, no limits, just you against nature. Having said that, you have to be able to live with the consequence of your decisions!

There are laws in the back country, funny how many people feel this way. Guys riding quads and sleds in closed areas, leaving garbage, taking extra gas into areas where it's not supposed to be...

Also a poor decision on someone elses part to not wear a seatbelt or a helmet and ends up in a wreck and becomes handicapped is now an expense to society.... is it ok that we all have to pay for their choice????

In my opinion there are no "safe" areas ever but you can minimize the risk with knowledge, experience and common sense.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah my mileage home was a whole lot better than going friday morning

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This weekend I went to Sicamous from Edmonton.

We rode Owl's head on Saturday, and did Eagles pass on Sunday.

I saw a couple of areas that showed evidence of Avalanche, but mostly from afar. We never even saw debris close up..

Actually I am lying.

I saw about 5 spots on the trans-Canada that substancial debris recently got to the highway.

Now I ask you this, is it safer to sled in avalanche country, where you can choose you own terrain, or risk driving through even more dangerous "controlled" terrain..?!?

I always think the highways are the most dangerous part of our trip,,, First of all, you have road conditions, poor vis, other idiots on the road, and speed.

Oh yeah, and avalanches.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are currently 25 users browsing this thread. (24 members and 1 guests)

Quite the following you have going here imdoo'n

A little advice to you. Use a little more discretion in your posts. You brought up some good valid points but got a little defensive when RevyG got on your case.
RevyG you could cool your jets a touch too.

I'm willing to bet that if the two of you met on the trail some where you would strike up a conversation and probably ride together. The problem with open forums, as some earlier mentioned, is that some thing can be taken out of context. There is no expression or tone in the words we type in these forums so it is very easy for some one to miss interpret what is typed. (notice I used the word typed and not said) Also notice I used blue and not red.

At any rate I think that this opened up a lot of good discussion some of it might have gotten a little heated but, good information to draw experience from.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are currently 25 users browsing this thread. (24 members and 1 guests)

Quite the following you have going here imdoo'n

A little advice to you. Use a little more discretion in your posts. You brought up some good valid points but got a little defensive when RevyG got on your case.
RevyG you could cool your jets a touch too.

I'm willing to bet that if the two of you met on the trail some where you would strike up a conversation and probably ride together. The problem with open forums, as some earlier mentioned, is that some thing can be taken out of context. There is no expression or tone in the words we type in these forums so it is very easy for some one to miss interpret what is typed. (notice I used the word typed and not said) Also notice I used blue and not red.

At any rate I think that this opened up a lot of good discussion some of it might have gotten a little heated but, good information to draw experience from.

true words have never been typed. hehe. sometimes thought's just don't get on the screen as they should. the intent is to get people talking and thinking about there sledding choices. does anyone really give a crap about what i have to say, they have there own minds and will make their own choices, i want this to be the last avi tragedy period.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This weekend I went to Sicamous from Edmonton.

We rode Owl's head on Saturday, and did Eagles pass on Sunday.

I saw a couple of areas that showed evidence of Avalanche, but mostly from afar. We never even saw debris close up..

Actually I am lying.

I saw about 5 spots on the trans-Canada that substancial debris recently got to the highway.

Now I ask you this, is it safer to sled in avalanche country, where you can choose you own terrain, or risk driving through even more dangerous "controlled" terrain..?!?

I always think the highways are the most dangerous part of our trip,,, First of all, you have road conditions, poor vis, other idiots on the road, and speed.

Oh yeah, and avalanches.
Don't forget hid lights!Trying to cool some people off on here!

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess i can throw in my 2 cents. i snowchecked a sled last spring and joined S&M to learn about sledding. i quickly learned how important safety was from listening to all the great people here. i owned an ABS bag, beacon, probe and shovel and was registered for an AST1 course before my snowcheck came in. im happy i have all my safety gear and glad that i listened to the advice on this site. i still know that i lack experience and do my best to play it safe and use good judgement while im out riding. i hate hearing about avy deaths/injuries/scares as much as the next person and i am all for the education of new riders, as i myself still have lots of questions after riding. i am very cautious when i go out and realize how real the danger is. i love sledding and dream about it almost every night and ive only been riding for 1 season. ive met tons of great people and plan on meeting tons more. when i go out and ride, i ride to ride another day.

Top Bottom