wow

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we went almost all year without a sledder getting killed in an avi, a few skiers, didn't get so lucky, so WHAT the hell happened, are the bulletins not being read, do we like to push the envelope, WTF for the last 2 weeks the slopes have been sliding on there own due to a layer of hoar frost , big snow loading and temperatures. and don't give me no BS about areas of mountains are safe, as they obviously are not, lesser slopes are sliding and big time. i have seen sluffs, slides and snowballs rolling all week. and that is on 30 to 40 ft high slopes. stay out of the alpine until this settles down. or give me your name so i can buy an insurance policy on yer stupid azz life. man this just don't make sense. when will sledders learn, or do we want the government to force us. :twocents:

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why push the envelope. let the snow settle and ride the alpine next week, although that friggin sun has a lot of heat in it. the risk is not worth dieing for.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see to many guys that just have a big bonner to hit the fresh snow on the steep slopes, most can't even turn there beacon on. spring temps bring out the monster in the alpine, throw in a little hoar frost and lack of knowledge and we have a disaster waiting to happen.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's called inexperience. How many kids grow up on sleds these days. Very few I believe. How many of us have borrowed a sled to a friend and that friend buys one with another rookie. Now we have two guys making a rookie group of there friends and hitting the mountains. That's the problem. Part of it anyways. I lost a friend also to avys. In order to be good at any sport you need experience. It can happen to anyone. I rode 25 years before I ever saw one. The first one I saw took a friend. Now I am experienced and super safe. Sleds sell like dirt bikes. But take us into places of risk a new rider on a dirt bike can't equal. Sledders need to teach eachother how to be safe. What hills look unsafe. Ect. So sad to hear of more deaths in this sport I live for. And Avy training is a must in the alpine

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larry you are a brave soul posting this..............after I got my azz chewed and spit out. This was the point I was trying to get across.....don't matter experiance or not........with the warnings out there better safe then sorry !!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya! myself and Foothills M8 watched them heli two sleds from corbin area on saturday I do beleieve they were from the slide. I also need to say it STAY OF THE BIG ch!t! we seen so many tracks to the right of the notch climbing under big cornices sun beating down on the slope wind loaded all to hell! I just sat there and thought you IDIOTS! It's unfortunate about the avalanche and my condolences goes out to everyone involved but we gotta start making smarter choices!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larry you are a brave soul posting this..............after I got my azz chewed and spit out. This was the point I was trying to get across.....don't matter experiance or not........with the warnings out there better safe then sorry !!!

i saw that, and was going to comment but thought i should stay out. sure seems to be a death wish out there, we rode sat and sun and sugar snow everywhere, lots of tracks up the slopes but no test pits, hopefully only one on the slope at a time. it is like a magnet drawing people in.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was out this weekend and the alpine was set up already. their was 270 guys up at renshaw on saturday and I only seen about 50 so wear was everybody and the weather wasn't that good and they said only a few guys made it over the saddle. We also road on sunday with only 16 guys in the valley and the conditions were still good but u had to Know wear to ride because their was a few avys in the area, u can play smart and be safe. Could tell their was alot of newbes in the area, they would poke a hill with 3 sleds at a time and on slopes I would think twice about on a good day they would try and again with 3 sleds at a time. Talked to a few at the cabin and they would tell me it was the first time in the area, I offered a few of them to ride with us but they said they were ok and I also told them wear it was safe and not what to ride. Take a guess wear they went because it was fresh snow so with saying u should stay out until it's safe, u can't fix stupid all u can do is help pick up the pieces when they screw up. When we go into a new area we try to hook up with someone who know the area but sometimes thats good or not so good. I've met alot of great peaple up in the mountains but i've also met some real boneheads to that don't give a ch!t about anyone else but themselves. For some reason theirs alot of peaple that won't take advice from the older riders they think it won't happen to me. Talked to one of the rescue guys on sunday and he said they were in bell a while ago and gave some young fellows some advice wear not to go and guess what happened and the young guys new they were rescue group and they still didn't listen so like I said earlier u can't fix stupid, they know it all until u have to bail them out.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that seems to be the problem, although lots of guys with lots of experience still get caught. i'm thinking there is a majority of riders on the popular slopes that have no training at all, they may have some equipment but have no idea on use.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even them spots can get ya

true that andrew. rules are rules until they have to change. we rode on saturday on the flats there was 18 inches of sugar snow under a thick crust, we didn't check the alpine slopes, but kept off.

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had a club ride up atlas on sat and basically did the poker run route with a few detours on some small recently logged hills and a trip into deans park then up atlas road a bit to the b.c. border still managed to put on 85 miles all in all a great day ... friday while we were in the rum runner in coleman heard from maclintok about the slide in corbin originally it was 2 passed away nine missing
true that andrew. rules are rule until they have to change. we rode on saturday on the flats there was 18 inches of sugar snow under a thick crust, we didn't check the alpine slopes, but kept off.

Last edited:

Drink

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So your saying people that have experience still should not ride? You make it sounds like every square inch of mountains is a DEAD ZONE. Well I hate to burst your cherry little lady, BUT YOUR WRONG! NOW MOVE ALONG!!!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
before the pot is stirred any more
So your saying people that have experience still should not ride? You make it sounds like every square inch of mountains is a DEAD ZONE. Well I hate to burst your cherry little lady, BUT YOUR WRONG! NOW MOVE ALONG!!!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've been playing in Low slope trees, Meadows and cutblocks for the past month now. The area is right above our house. We just don't want to take any chances. We kind of have a rule in our house. We go out assuming the conditions are Extreme and work backwards from there, never assuming safety. To tell you the truth, I've never had so much fun riding in the mountains. I'm practicing my tree riding, getting better by the day. Trees were a huge nemesis for me so it's nice to have the opportunity to become more confident. Also practicing my jumping (actually the whole landing part) lol. I can whip a donut tighter than ever, even on my not so awesome side.
There are many ways to enjoy this winter without exposing ourselves to danger.

My heart hurts for those who have been lost this year. We started off the year losing one of our own, so message still remains, we can't take anything for granted.

Love and prayers out to everyone who has lost.

Momma :)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've been playing in Low slope trees, Meadows and cutblocks for the past month now. The area is right above our house. We just don't want to take any chances. We kind of have a rule in our house. We go out assuming the conditions are Extreme and work backwards from there, never assuming safety. To tell you the truth, I've never had so much fun riding in the mountains. I'm practicing my tree riding, getting better by the day. Trees were a huge nemesis for me so it's nice to have the opportunity to become more confident. Also practicing my jumping (actually the whole landing part) lol. I can whip a donut tighter than ever, even on my not so awesome side.
There are many ways to enjoy this winter without exposing ourselves to danger.

My heart hurts for those who have been lost this year. We started off the year losing one of our own, so message still remains, we can't take anything for granted.

Love and prayers out to everyone who has lost.

Momma :)

great post, you have recognized the danger and have adjusted your riding to accommodate the conditions, and may have to adjust if they change again. thanks for the post, i like it, informative.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

someone posted on another area you can't fix stupid, you seem to represent that post. you sound like someone off the gold rush tv show. if ya get off yer soap box, she was saying just what the general public is saying. why post, unless ya have something to add.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sunshinesmiles, I'm going to show you pics. For those who don't have the opportunity to see what we mean by Playing in low slope trees, or what a cutblock or meadow looks like here's our life in a nutshell. It'll help you understand the difference between where we are riding, as opposed to other types of terrain.

These trees are awesome, and fun.
Kevintrees.jpg

Kevintrees2.jpg

Carving in a cutblock
TrishcarvingToadspic.jpg

Practicing a graceful landing, (almost) lol
201202231220083.jpg

brappday3.jpg

The sad part is, some people don't have knowledge of areas like this. Because they may only get out a handful of times per year the only areas they are familiar with may be the unstable areas. Hire a guide, or phone the local sled shop and find an experienced group you can ride with. We recently had people from all over hook up with us for rides. A group of our awesome customers took out a guy from Manitoba, another group, some people from Quebec, and our beloved Crazy Saskatchewanians. We made sure we were sending them out with a group of experienced and educated people, and made sure they were geared up. So reach out if you don't know, No one wants a tragedy.

Top Bottom