wow

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am just offering my honest opinion and do know her quite well. Have ridden a bit together and in my opinion ,what i stated is factual.
That being said i will not be pressed into commenting on this any further. Please ride safe & have fun be it in the snow or the mud................Cheers

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to show you pics. For those who don't have the opportunity to see what we mean by Playing in low slope trees, or what a cutblock or meadow looks like here's our life in a nutshell. It'll help you understand the difference between where we are riding, as opposed to other types of terrain.

These trees are awesome, and fun.
Kevintrees.jpg

Kevintrees2.jpg

Carving in a cutblock
TrishcarvingToadspic.jpg

Practicing a graceful landing, (almost) lol
201202231220083.jpg

brappday3.jpg
Now you're talking the fun part of the mountains (or foothills for that matter)! Good post

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now you're talking the fun part of the mountains (or foothills for that matter)! Good post

Thank you!! Ho LEEEEE it's been a learning curve. I look back at pics from this time last year and realize how far I've come in confidence and ability. While it's HUGELY humbling sitting at the bottom of a treewell going WTF just happened.. breaking it down and understanding how to do it better has been a great learning experience. Win win I figure.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read your own first post..." and don't give me no BS about areas of mountains are safe, as they obviously are not, lesser slopes are sliding and big time" So which is it? You are ridding lesser slopes or no slopes cause there are no safe spots??? Your Choice Your Experience and Your avi training, then why come on here and tell people there are no safe spots. and as far as me being a newb? not going to your level. Revy Rocks Right Now People!

right now i am riding flat land and low slopes 50 ft high, may slide, but low consequences.
unless you have done a snow test please tell me and the masses how you know the areas are safe. special avi warnings everywhere. alpine, tree line. what can't you understand. with the recent weather the alpine is dangerous, until it can settle. anyway you may never rise to my level, as you seem to be floating around in the toilet bowl.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone nailed it. Its groups of new riders going out together with not one ounce of avalanche knowledge. They might have the good gear but it stops there. This sport is growing and like mentioned it starts out with one new rider then spreads to 3 or 4 then soon enough there all going out together and missing the key ingredient. The group leader or experienced educated player. My group started out as me and my dad. It is now 15-20 riders and about 5 of them are fully avalanche trained and aware. The rest are learning and we teach what we know to stay out of trouble. But even 5 or more years later they are STILL learning. It is not a quick process and to be honest if one of the key players wasn't with that group when they went out I would be concerned for them. Not because they are stupid or uneducated in the backcountry but because they just haven't got enough education and time in the hills to learn from the experienced guys. Taking an ast1 is not the answer. It is a tool in the toolbox but it drives me nuts when people throw that out first thing. Common sense basic avalanche knowledge and experienced group leaders are what keeps guys safe.

On the way to sicamous this wknd the banks on the highway were sliding for gods saakes. This should be an instant clue. Look for clues and put the puzzle together.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Great post!! I think AST 1 isn't the "be all end all", but with the right instructor I feel that it is a necessity. I know that when we did it with Zac's years ago...they were awesome with giving tips and pointers for looking at your surroundings and assessing the terrain and possible risks. A person can gather a lot of info just while riding up a trail and being aware and attentive. One thing that we as sledders need to be very aware of; we have the ability to cover a lot of terrain very quickly. What may be stable on one aspect or area may not be stable 10 kms from there. We always need to be aware of our direct surroundings and reassess the dangers...and not get caught up in the moment:)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone nailed it. Its groups of new riders going out together with not one ounce of avalanche knowledge. They might have the good gear but it stops there. This sport is growing and like mentioned it starts out with one new rider then spreads to 3 or 4 then soon enough there all going out together and missing the key ingredient. The group leader or experienced educated player. My group started out as me and my dad. It is now 15-20 riders and about 5 of them are fully avalanche trained and aware. The rest are learning and we teach what we know to stay out of trouble. But even 5 or more years later they are STILL learning. It is not a quick process and to be honest if one of the key players wasn't with that group when they went out I would be concerned for them. Not because they are stupid or uneducated in the backcountry but because they just haven't got enough education and time in the hills to learn from the experienced guys. Taking an ast1 is not the answer. It is a tool in the toolbox but it drives me nuts when people throw that out first thing. Common sense basic avalanche knowledge and experienced group leaders are what keeps guys safe.

On the way to sicamous this wknd the banks on the highway were sliding for gods saakes. This should be an instant clue. Look for clues and put the puzzle together.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

the best post so far

thanks maxwell

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right now i am riding flat land and low slopes 50 ft high, may slide, but low consequences.
unless you have done a snow test please tell me and the masses how you know the areas are safe. special avi warnings everywhere. alpine, tree line. what can't you understand. with the recent weather the alpine is dangerous, until it can settle. anyway you may never rise to my level, as you seem to be floating around in the toilet bowl.

hmmmmm. wow, is a great title for this thread. Yes Dad we Dig pits, have you been here in the last week? How can you or anyone make such claims on how the snow is here. Sticks and stones oh and trees may break my sled but names buddy don't hurt. Enjoy life in Red Deer. First I am a stupid Newb on the hill and the computer now I can NEVER reach your level cause I am floating around in a toilet bowel???? How old are you, they call people like you a BULLY these days.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imdoon went to school with moses grades three four and five ....... sorry larry just trying to lighten it up a bit :beer:
[/COLOR]hmmmmm. wow, is a great title for this thread. Yes Dad we Dig pits, have you been here in the last week? How can you or anyone make such claims on how the snow is here. Sticks and stones oh and trees may break my sled but names buddy don't hurt. Enjoy life in Red Deer. First I am a stupid Newb on the hill and the computer now I can NEVER reach your level cause I am floating around in a toilet bowel???? How old are you, they call people like you a BULLY these days.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]hmmmmm. wow, is a great title for this thread. Yes Dad we Dig pits, have you been here in the last week? How can you or anyone make such claims on how the snow is here. Sticks and stones oh and trees may break my sled but names buddy don't hurt. Enjoy life in Red Deer. First I am a stupid Newb on the hill and the computer now I can NEVER reach your level cause I am floating around in a toilet bowel???? How old are you, they call people like you a BULLY these days.

sorry i was in golden last weekend and no i haven't been in revy in a week , just reading the news, cac bulitens will give you the general idea.. unless you've done pits on every aspect you have no idea, and even then, 50 ft over it could be diffrerent story. anyway my post was for the general masses not for the brilliant mind that you seem to posses, ah to be so young and nieve.:twocents:

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry i was in golden last weekend and no i haven't been in revy in a week , just reading the news, cac bulitens will give you the general idea.. unless youv'e done pits on every aspect you have no idea, and even then, 50 ft over it could be diffrerent story. anyway my post was for the general masses not for the brilliant mind that you seem to posses, ah to be so young and nieve.:twocents:

Dude enough of the personal insults already, you don't know me, man I have lost friends to Avalanches, I run a memorial for my best friends kids 7 years running, so before you keep calling me names and assuming things about areas you don't ride stop telling lies and telling people not to ride. Worry about you and your buddies and enjoy spring riding. There is TONS of SAFE ridding out here people do not listen to him.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Sunshine and in NO WAY WHATSOEVER did she mean to criticize sledders.If any one thinks that was her intention ,you are wrong i can assure you. Granted she could of worded her thoughts differently,however ALL of us have said something on here at one time or another that we wish we would of said differently after the fact..............I know i have...LOL

Her INTENT was ride safe,be smart,have fun and ABOVE all else come home to your loved ones..................Nothing more/nothing less !!

Thanks for this !!!! That is exactly what I was trying to do, was share the article and tell everyone to be safe. Yeppers I am not perfect and could have worded it differently.........and yes the thread got carried away, by all not just myself. I will apologize on behalf of my actions, if I offended anyone. I am very caring, and the type of person who wears their heart on their sleeve, will drop everything to help a friend. In no way did I post the thread to offend anyone. In future, I shall choose my wording more carefully.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]
Dude enough of the personal insults already, you don't know me, man I have lost friends to Avalanches, I run a memorial for my best friends kids 7 years running, so before you keep calling me names and assuming things about areas you don't ride stop telling lies and telling people not to ride. Worry about you and your buddies and enjoy spring riding. There is TONS of SAFE ridding out here people do not listen to him.

personnal insults, maybe go back and read some of your own comments, i have only responded to your jabs. if ya had posted some good info, we wouldn't have been here. anyway, being safe was the message i was trying to get through. and if you are running a memorial for a kid you of all people should be promoting safety, not telling people it's all good on the slopes and ya can ride everywhere.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this !!!! That is exactly what I was trying to do, was share the article and tell everyone to be safe. Yeppers I am not perfect and could have worded it differently.........and yes the thread got carried away, by all not just myself. I will apologize on behalf of my actions, if I offended anyone. I am very caring, and the type of person who wears their heart on their sleeve, will drop everything to help a friend. In no way did I post the thread to offend anyone. In future, I shall choose my wording more carefully.

Thank you :)

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I went sledding for 3 days in the mountains this past weekend.

There are probably more people killed in the driving to and from the sledding places than die from avalanches each year. This issue needs to be put in perspective. While there are risks from avalanches there are also risks from hitting another sledder, hitting a tree, having a sled roll over on you etc. To get to the good riding areas when the snow is good we drive in conditions that maybe otherwise we wouldn't.

So you can be a 'stay-at-home-sledder' and win the safety award for not getting hurt and call all the others irresponsible but in the end it is personal choice and we all live with our choices. While there are some guys out there doing riskier stuff than other guys I don't know if going on a rant in the forum makes a person smarter than the guy who went out and rode in the mountains last weekend.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe go back and read some of your own comments, i have only responded to your jabs. if ya had posted some good info, we wouldn't have been here. anyway, being safe was the message i was trying to get through. and if you are running a memorial for a kid you of all people should be promoting safety, not telling people it's all good on the slopes and ya can ride everywhere.

Anyway, I NEVER told people it's all good on the slopes and ya can ride everywhere, now you are just making things up. And again How do you know I do not promote safety? I am Over this,you don't have to re read my last post, cause here it is again.....There are TONS of SAFE ridding out here people come on out, Revy Rocks!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]
Anyway, I NEVER told people it's all good on the slopes and ya can ride everywhere, now you are just making things up. And again How do you know I do not promote safety? I am Over this,you don't have to re read my last post, cause here it is again.....There are TONS of SAFE ridding out here people come on out, Revy Rocks!

seeing as you are now the official spokesman on safe riding areas in revy

which areas are you guaranteeing as being safe? do you have area son why they are safe.
other riders would like the info as then they would not need to check snow conditions and the cac could take a long deserved rest.

i would treat all alpine area's as unsafe until they are tested. or until conditions change, that stands for revy, golden,fernie, sparwood, etc.
maybe the cac is just spewing out misinformation. although i'll take there info long before yours.

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boulder trees, frisby trees, Veideman flats.......Cabin runs where all time......you want a guarantee? Stay home. You can die from old chicken to you know?
Maybe call Greg at Rough Country and ask him...oh he's out ridding.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I went sledding for 3 days in the mountains this past weekend.

There are probably more people killed in the driving to and from the sledding places than die from avalanches each year. This issue needs to be put in perspective. While there are risks from avalanches there are also risks from hitting another sledder, hitting a tree, having a sled roll over on you etc. To get to the good riding areas when the snow is good we drive in conditions that maybe otherwise we wouldn't.

So you can be a 'stay-at-home-sledder' and win the safety award for not getting hurt and call all the others irresponsible but in the end it is personal choice and we all live with our choices. While there are some guys out there doing riskier stuff than other guys I don't know if going on a rant in the forum makes a person smarter than the guy who went out and rode in the mountains last weekend.

maybe you just got lucky? if you read any of the posts on here or in the avi areas you soon realize ya can hit any slope a hundred times an it only takes the hunred an one to let go. and every one has a risk tolerance, some higher than others, maybe that is why not everyone grows older. sure seems to be a lot more dying in there 20's than those dying in there 80's.

again if anyone didn't get the jist of the original post, stay out of the alpine unless ya test the slopes. maybe give some thought to the cac reports, they seem to be loaded with info

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
?????? well.....waiting for you to tell me to stay off those areas????????????? oh you moved over to ripping Marley eh...

Top Bottom