wow

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are currently 25 users browsing this thread. (24 members and 1 guests)
Quite the following you have going here imdoo'n

A little advice to you. Use a little more discretion in your posts. You brought up some good valid points but got a little defensive when RevyG got on your case.
RevyG you could cool your jets a touch too.

I'm willing to bet that if the two of you met on the trail some where you would strike up a conversation and probably ride together. The problem with open forums, as some earlier mentioned, is that some thing can be taken out of context. There is no expression or tone in the words we type in these forums so it is very easy for some one to miss interpret what is typed. (notice I used the word typed and not said) Also notice I used blue and not red.

At any rate I think that this opened up a lot of good discussionsome of it might have gotten a little heated but, good information to draw experience from.

Maybe that is a good guide to what to think about before you click "Post Quick Reply". If you wouldn't say it to a person on the trail then don't type it here.

Even the most mellow of sledders would have something to say if a sarcastic know-it-all came up to them on the trail and said:
'WTF you stupid azz when ya gonna learn. Ya don't know nothin bout sleddin in the mountains - go back home and I don't wanna see ya here until late spring or I put out the word that it's safe'.
After being told to bugger off he would then end the conversation with: 'oh you took what I said all wrong - I just want you to be safe'.
The guy may be well intentioned but he isn't going to end up being anyones riding buddy.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe that is a good guide to what to think about before you click "Post Quick Reply". If you wouldn't say it to a person on the trail then don't type it here.

Even the most mellow of sledders would have something to say if a sarcastic know-it-all came up to them on the trail and said:
'WTF you stupid azz when ya gonna learn. Ya don't know nothin bout sleddin in the mountains - go back home and I don't wanna see ya here until late spring or I put out the word that it's safe'.
After being told to bugger off he would then end the conversation with: 'oh you took what I said all wrong - I just want you to be safe'.
The guy may be well intentioned but he isn't going to end up being anyones riding buddy.

seems like it got your attention, if yer feelers are hurt, get over it. obviously you didn't need to read the post as your avi savy, but you did anyway. the message is for those that want to hit the big slopes, as a guy from sask is posting what conditions are like as he'd like to ride silvermines this weekend. what does that tell ya..

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like it got your attention, if yer feelers are hurt, get over it. obviously you didn't need to read the post as your avi savy, but you did anyway. the message is for those that want to hit the big slopes, as a guy from sask is posting what conditions are like as he'd like to ride silvermines this weekend. what does that tell ya..

As long as you're getting attention...all that matters.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm, why don't we see if we can maybe work together to help people toreturn home instead of bickering. that is what i'm looking for.

snownmud

Reaction score
Website
www.snowcheckdirect.com
i guess i can throw in my 2 cents. i snowchecked a sled last spring and joined S&M to learn about sledding. i quickly learned how important safety was from listening to all the great people here. i owned an ABS bag, beacon, probe and shovel and was registered for an AST1 course before my snowcheck came in. im happy i have all my safety gear and glad that i listened to the advice on this site. i still know that i lack experience and do my best to play it safe and use good judgement while im out riding. i hate hearing about avy deaths/injuries/scares as much as the next person and i am all for the education of new riders, as i myself still have lots of questions after riding. i am very cautious when i go out and realize how real the danger is. i love sledding and dream about it almost every night and ive only been riding for 1 season. ive met tons of great people and plan on meeting tons more. when i go out and ride, i ride to ride another day.
Good motto to live by. Live to ride, but ride to ride again.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well you came on after me, i was always a shheeet disturber, maybe not in your league but i try. i seem to get a few upset every once and a while.:D

there may be safer area's to ride, only very few ride there. ride safe snow willy.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
I had one of the funnest rides of the year, yesterday! We went out knowing the risk and decided to ride accordingly. Spent the day smashing pillows and wind drifts, and chasing each other though the trees. Although, the snow pack is very unstable right now, it is also very deep. You can find good, deep snow far from the alpine or any high consequence areas. I bet we never broke 5,000 feet, could see town most of the day and were still riding in at least 6-7 feet of snow with a very nice 2 or so feet of fresh on top. Just cruising around on the untouched logging roads and playing in some cutlines was a nice change from the balls to the wall high alpine riding and very technical tree riding we normally do. There is still tons of great riding to be had when the risk is high, you just have to change the places you ride and the way you ride them. But, to say that anyone who is riding right now is just trying to cheat death is a little excessive.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one of the funnest rides of the year, yesterday! We went out knowing the risk and decided to ride accordingly. Spent the day smashing pillows and wind drifts, and chasing each other though the trees. Although, the snow pack is very unstable right now, it is also very deep. You can find good, deep snow far from the alpine or any high consequence areas. I bet we never broke 5,000 feet, could see town most of the day and were still riding in at least 6-7 feet of snow with a very nice 2 or so feet of fresh on top. Just cruising around on the untouched logging roads and playing in some cutlines was a nice change from the balls to the wall high alpine riding and very technical tree riding we normally do. There is still tons of great riding to be had when the risk is high, you just have to change the places you ride and the way you ride them. But, to say that anyone who is riding right now is just trying to cheat death is a little excessive.

comments were more towards alpine riding, big hills, big risks, big consequences.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

comments were more towards alpine riding,

hey MtnMaster. Good to hear that you had a fun ride out of the alpine area. I take it you are from the mountains and have that luxury of riding in these area. I wish I had that luxury.

imdoo'n I think you've made your point about the alpine not being that safe. I think that it's time that we put that one to rest and move on and listen to other options that may be out there. I don't know how to word this so that no one gets their feelers hurt, but lets take this thread to the next level and talk about the alternative places that we can ride safely. To me it sounds like MtnMaster may have some advise as to where we can do this. I think the reason that you see so many people (I'm referring to the out of Province not the locals) heading for the Alpine, is that is the only place that they know where they can ride. I personally would love the opportunity to experience what MtnMaster is talking about.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think alot of it comes down to, some of us are lucky enough to either live in the mountains or close enough to the mountains were we can pick and choose were and how we ride every time we go out. BUT, if you only made it to the mountains twice a year and booked those holidays maybe 5 or 6 months in advance things would be different. If I could only ride where I do a couple times a year, it would be flat out all the time no matter what the risk was. I get it, I totally understand and can't blame anyone for the risks they take.

Last edited:

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
search and rescue just love ppl like that too ...

Your from Nelson, and I grew up deep in the mountains, too. But, could you imagine being from Saskatchewan and only making it to the places we see on a daily basis, once a year?? I'm not saying taking unnecessary risks is ok, but you and I are a couple of the chosen few who get that choice. If I saw what we see, once a year it would be really hard to control myself! :(

Just trying to be the voice of reason in this pointless debate!!??!!

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey MtnMaster. Good to hear that you had a fun ride out of the alpine area. I take it you are from the mountains and have that luxury of riding in these area. I wish I had that luxury.

imdoo'n I think you've made your point about the alpine not being that safe. I think that it's time that we put that one to rest and move on and listen to other options that may be out there. I don't know how to word this so that no one gets their feelers hurt, but lets take this thread to the next level and talk about the alternative places that we can ride safely. To me it sounds like MtnMaster may have some advise as to where we can do this. I think the reason that you see so many people (I'm referring to the out of Province not the locals) heading for the Alpine, is that is the only place that they know where they can ride. I personally would love the opportunity to experience what MtnMaster is talking about.

have already set a thread up for others to post safer areas to sled. so far only a few posts.

this still leads me to believe this post is still valid, because it is getting people talking, hopefully a few new guys can get the message. a few local BC guys are seeing red. get over it, others will be riding the big slopes i'm sure, thinking it's all good.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your from Nelson, and I grew up deep in the mountains, too. But, could you imagine being from Saskatchewan and only making it to the places we see on a daily basis, once a year?? I'm not saying taking unnecessary risks is ok, but you and I are a couple of the chosen few who get that choice. If I saw what we see, once a year it would be really hard to control myself! :(

Just trying to be the voice of reason in this pointless debate!!??!!

No doubt. It would be WAY harder to hold back if you travelled many hours after booking time off work etc...

Living close means you see the snowpack all year. And can call off a day if things are just too nuts.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
must be something in your water, imdoo'n!!

I agree with senor Pipes; you've made your point (and it was a good one) and let's move on. Lots of riding in safe areas when the avi rating is elevated to High and/or Extreme. There was an article a few years back and I took a piece out of it,

"The avalanche bulletins effect where and how I ride not whether I ride. The conditions define how I sled; the activity I doo when I get there."

That statement was made by the President of the Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club (to give him credit).

There is a big difference between knowing the local conditions and thinking you know the local conditions. The weekend riders that come out for 2-3 weekends/year are at somewhat of a disadvantage with regards to local conditions as opposed to someone who rides the area 3-5 times a week. Smith Basin is different than Cowboy Basin due to wind and snowfall even tho' they are only 2-3 km (as the raven flies) apart. Both are painted with the same brush in the bulletins.

You are correct, this thread is valid, people are talking (typing as senor Pipes mentioned) and that is a good thing. Ride safe ol' buddy and may your fridge be filled with BrewMaster!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yer absolutely right fernie. i have had the pleasure of riding with ya. safety is a priority. ride the flats, low slopes, on high avi times. mainly the point i tried to make, we have had a lot of avi fatalities over the years, with a lot of experienced riders. that is the tragedy. new guys see a track and will follow thinking all is good. there are a lot of new guys(guests) that read these threads and are looking for info. with my limited knowledge, i do what i can. hopefully the right info.

my methods are crude, but hoping the results make up for it.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yer absolutely right fernie. i have had the pleasure of riding with ya. safety is a priority. ride the flats, low slopes, on high avi times. mainly the point i tried to make, we have had a lot of avi fatalities over the years, with a lot of experienced riders. that is the tragedy. new guys see a track and will follow thinking all is good. there are a lot of new guys(guests) that read these threads and are looking for info. with my limited knowledge, i do what i can. hopefully the right info.

my methods are crude, but hoping the results make up for it.

You are such a double talker go back a few pages and read what you spat at me!

Originally Posted by imdoo'n we went almost all year without a sledder getting killed in an avi, a few skiers, didn't get so lucky, so WHAT the hell happened, are the bulletins not being read, do we like to push the envelope, WTF for the last 2 weeks the slopes have been sliding on there own due to a layer of hoar frost , big snow loading and temperatures. and don't give me no BS about areas of mountains are safe, as they obviously are not, lesser slopes are sliding and big time. i have seen sluffs, slides and snowballs rolling all week. and that is on 30 to 40 ft high slopes. stay out of the alpine until this settles down. or give me your name so i can buy an insurance policy on yer stupid azz life. man this just don't make sense. when will sledders learn, or do we want the government to force us.

Then you said this:comments were more towards alpine riding, big hills, big risks, big consequences

Which is it?? Not dropping to your name calling but just showing what you say makes no sense.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are such a double talker go back a few pages and read what you spat at me!

Originally Posted by imdoo'n we went almost all year without a sledder getting killed in an avi, a few skiers, didn't get so lucky, so WHAT the hell happened, are the bulletins not being read, do we like to push the envelope, WTF for the last 2 weeks the slopes have been sliding on there own due to a layer of hoar frost , big snow loading and temperatures. and don't give me no BS about areas of mountains are safe, as they obviously are not, lesser slopes are sliding and big time. i have seen sluffs, slides and snowballs rolling all week. and that is on 30 to 40 ft high slopes. stay out of the alpine until this settles down. or give me your name so i can buy an insurance policy on yer stupid azz life. man this just don't make sense. when will sledders learn, or do we want the government to force us.

Then you said this:comments were more towards alpine riding, big hills, big risks, big consequences

Which is it?? Not dropping to your name calling but just showing what you say makes no sense.

You have heard of drinking and driving right? Well this is drinking and typing man lol!

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have heard of drinking and driving right? Well this is drinking and typing man lol!

Good thing I don't drink! I also do not get your point. I just wanted to say to him that first he said no safe spots, then there are safe spots. Read the whole thread. Guy jumps on me then starts a new thread on safe spots. This is crazy.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CALL THE WHAAAAMBULANCE - some peeps overdosed on hero cookies. this thread was started to make you think - take it for what it is, words on a screen. Don't like it? turn off your computer and go riding if you think its safe or sit on your sled in the garage and make motor sounds if you don't.

Right in my sig: "The price of anyhting is the amount of life you exchange for it." What do you think it refers to?

Posting an opinion on someone else's opinion? ....hypocrits?

Taking it personal and feeling compelled to justify/defend why you went out riding last weekend? get over yourself.

I have a 2 yr old and could not imagine leaving her beautiful face without an understanding of why daddy is no longer around. This is how I justify not riding in bad conditions. You justify your actions in your own mind to yourself, I could care less because I won't be there to dig you out. Been riding over 20 yrs (actual 20 yrs - not internet 20 yrs), seen it happen to 3 peeps I called friends. You can't imagine how bad it will tear you apart. Mother nature does not discriminate - she doesn't care about where you live, your age or how long you tell people you've been riding. She will take you in less than a heartbeat and leave everyone else with just your memory. Think about that before you load your sled.

Frisby slid 2 yrs ago - How safe is it today? can anyone tell me right now?

Driving to and from the hill is more dangerous than sledding - yeeeaaahhhhh ok probably?........people at the gun range aim at the bullseyes, so standing down range between 2 targets is probably safe too, but would you still put yourself in that situation?

"I'm experienced" - yeah, me too..........Experience as a general comprises of or skill of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event.[SUP][1][/SUP]. Experience recognizes the significance of something like a special bulletion and reminds you there will be plenty of other riding days.

Coming from Sask to ride the hills - plan alternate days since you can't control the weather. Starting your trip with a bad decision usually results in more bad decisions.

Be safe everyone.

Top Bottom