Winter specific truck tires

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 295-65-R18 Duratracs for the last four winters. When new, I found them OK in winder, especially considering that they're on the wide side. However, they weren't fantastic once they had a bit of wear. I would probably run a third set this year, but I've had a hell of a time getting/keeping these tires balanced and will not run them again mostly because of this issue.

This year, I've ordered 285-70-R18 Nitto EXO Grapplers and am hoping they will treat me a little better. I wasn't excited to go narrower, but they are nearly an inch taller which might look a little better on my lifted truck anyway.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 about Toyo AT2's on ice, terrible, awesome summer tires, pulled my travel trailer out of stuff that surprised me.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very happy with the Nokian LT2's. They are quiet and very smooth ride so far.

Passed big crash nouth of 32 st cars trucks everywhere. Pretty happy i went full winters and got rid of the dura skates.

Maybe a better pic tomorrow!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally! Ive heard lots say how great they are in winter but just as many say the same about duratracks.
Maybe i got a bad set but they howl and are total garbage on the skiff of snow red deer got.

My 35" toyo mts where smoother and quieter. But they too no good on ice obviously.

Im stoked that I discovered Nokian makes a 34-35" full winter tire. I always hated putting 31-32" winters on a 6" lifted truck. Looks goofy!

Might look at the mickey Ts for summers not sure yet, after xmas!

What kind of duratracs did you have? Studdable or non.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They fill the wheel wells good! Very happy, id buy them again in a flash!

NZjosh

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Trying a set of studded Hankook I pike rw11's on the truck this year, anyone tried these before?

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They stole it..... i bought it back, rebuilt it , sold it to the usa!! Take that Trump!

Basically i was collecting 2012's for awhile!

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id say non..

Want them?

Anyone want them? Make good spares or work truck tires.
The deal is you can have them for free but you must donate something or any amount to the xmas charity of your choice! And post it here.

Last edited:

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that i have had some time running the Cooper XT/4's in some winter conditions i can safely say they are the best tire i have ever had on a vehicle in winter conditions short of actual winter specific tires on my wife's suburban. Very good traction both accelerating and stopping and are a very nice riding and quiet tire. Definitely beat my studded Duratracs on ice.

Now hopefully they are good in summer and get some life.

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 Ford F-250 had stock Michelin ATW/2 on my plow truck and happy for about 40ks. Lots of time even plowing in 2wd. Perhaps different conditions. So for $829 including $ 240 return on old tires I now have BFG KO2 tires with mountain peak thing and seam to work really well as they should as only 200 klicks so far. More agressive than Michys. Hopefully will find another set of rims and then I will go with Michys for the summer.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The KO2's on both our work trucks went to crap after 10,000km. They were great when new. Hopefully you have better luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone want them? Make good spares or work truck tires.
The deal is you can have them for free but you must donate something or any amount to the xmas charity of your choice! And post it here.

Guess duratracs are not as great as some say!! Left the pile in alley for 2 weeks, finally hauled to dump.

Top Bottom