Winter tires on a diesel

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Coopers, i'll get about 90k out of them, which I guess might be wearing fast depending on your definition but lasting as long as my crappy stock firestone transforce I believe they were and much better traction.
I got about 30k on the stock transforce, then went to a Cooper ATW and got 50k with a set of Cooper M&S for the second winter which lasted 40k. Back to Toyos now which are still 75% with 40k on them.

SamStorm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran studded Nokias on my 2500 Cummins for 3 winters. Awesome tire but doubt would of gotten the 4th winter out of them. Prob around 25-30000kms total. Pricey but was able to sell them and recoup some money. Once they hit that 60-65% treadwear marker they wear down quick.
Trying the Blizzak LT's this winter on a 3500 Chevy. Good price but treadwear seems to be an issue from the couple reviews that are out there. See how they go.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running dedicated winter tires on my diesel for the last 4 years. Had pretty good luck with the w965 on a cummins. I got 3 years with them and the 4th winter they were on the wore out side. I ended up running them most of the summer as there was tons of tread on them but they were not working good on the ice anymore. This year I bought a D max and I bought some new winter tires for it. I was on the fence between firestone winterforce and some Nokian lt3. The tire guy swayed me to the Nokian he said I’ll get more km out of them. But the winter force looked like they had a more aggressive tread. I was Told they don’t make the lt2 anymore just the lt3. I don’t any road miles on the lt3 yet but they look good.
I hit the ditch last year and 100% blame it on the wore out winter tires.

65498046d5dd56b1941d147fedc27bdb.jpg

ef218988fc6308409126e5ecf8f8acc2.jpg

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear guys rave about the Duratracs. They always seemed to be crap on heavy trucks though. Always liked my Toyos personally. Might check out those WLTs

Duratracs on our shop 1/2 ton are okay but on my 1 ton they were way too soft and wore out very quickly. Both had lots of road noise.

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got about 30k on the stock transforce, then went to a Cooper ATW and got 50k with a set of Cooper M&S for the second winter which lasted 40k. Back to Toyos now which are still 75% with 40k on them.

My cooper ATW’s are wearing quick too but probably cause run them year round...

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran wlt1 toyo for a couple Winters and then a winter with brand new ta ko2, I think the ko where just about as good and didn’t have to do the $175 swap twice. I don’t think worn down kos as good but new were fine. If I can time new tires that’s how I plan for now

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Coopers, i'll get about 90k out of them, which I guess might be wearing fast depending on your definition but lasting as long as my crappy stock firestone transforce I believe they were and much better traction.

Those firestones are one of the worst tires I’ve ever had. Spin out of wet grass.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always run dedicated winters on my one tons. Makes a difference for sure! Avalanche extremes for last few seasons. This winter is the General Grabber Arctic LT studded. Designed and built specifically for heavy trucks. Already noticed they are less squirrelly than others I have tried. Traction off the line seems great as does braking distance. Rated real well on lots of sites.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dahm are you doing burnouts with them? Gotta be doing something to be burning them up that quick.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dahm are you doing burnouts with them? Gotta be doing something to be burning them up that quick.
I was towing a big skid steer or a mini hoe a lot for a couple years for a lot of miles. Also had a heavy slip in service body for a year or so in there. Just pushing tires to their limits I guess.

I hired guys and bought a baby Kenworth to do the grunt work now, so I'm mostly just hauling family and sleds these days. Should be a little better on tires going forward. I have found the torque of a diesel mixed with a manual transmission causes tires to wear a little faster too, especially compared to the gas 3/4 tons I'm used to.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those firestones are one of the worst tires I’ve ever had. Spin out of wet grass.
I sold mine quite literally after i got stuck on wet grass up at a high site. Nothing close enough to run the winch to had to run a guy out 3 hours to pull us out. Great highway mileage though.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There know as dura turds lol

Very very noisy tires yes

Best winter a/t tire I’ve ever ran on my diesels.
On season 3 with my most recent studded ones. This will be the last winter for them, about 45k on them now and they are at about 65%. Noisey yes but it’s a truck, not a limousine.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was towing a big skid steer or a mini hoe a lot for a couple years for a lot of miles. Also had a heavy slip in service body for a year or so in there. Just pushing tires to their limits I guess.

I hired guys and bought a baby Kenworth to do the grunt work now, so I'm mostly just hauling family and sleds these days. Should be a little better on tires going forward. I have found the torque of a diesel mixed with a manual transmission causes tires to wear a little faster too, especially compared to the gas 3/4 tons I'm used to.

Weird, I tow heavy with mine all the time and still get about 90k on a set. Easily 25% of the mileage is fully loaded or even over. Have a slip tank, and use to pull gooseneck with 3-4k on the pin. Now a bumper pull with usually 1500-2k on the pin depending what i'm pulling. Tires wear out a lot quicker, but not that bad. I noticed on first rotation rears at 50%, fronts at 75%.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird, I tow heavy with mine all the time and still get about 90k on a set. Easily 25% of the mileage is fully loaded or even over. Have a slip tank, and use to pull gooseneck with 3-4k on the pin. Now a bumper pull with usually 1500-2k on the pin depending what i'm pulling. Tires wear out a lot quicker, but not that bad. I noticed on first rotation rears at 50%, fronts at 75%.
Consider yourself lucky lol. The M+S burned off super fast for me considering it was all winter miles.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Part of my concern with the tires is the torque of the diesel as well. Mixed with the 6 speed manual, i seem to have a hard time with tires.

Glad to hear that they are much better than the Coopers. Did you get them at Kal Tire, or are there other places that carry them?

unfortunately kal tire are the exclusive dealer for nokians. Good tire but lousy tire dealer. Their service sucks

Top Bottom